What gives gel candles a bad name?

birdcharm

Well, for starters ... OMG, are these people serious?

chinesegelcandles.jpg.4086ec611b503e50a6bb11e986ac62ad.jpg

I was bouncing around ebay and I always see very poor examples of gel candles.

Some of the weak points are usually clouded gel, tilted wicks, curly wicks, very long wicks, flammable embeds ... but these, where do I begin?

(This example is from a foreign ebay seller.)

Edited by birdcharm
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Saw this one tonight on my candle Facebook group, although maybe it doesn't look as bad as the ones you posted.....those are plastic, yes, plastic oranges. I asked purposely. It's a scary thought how many people have no idea what they are doing. 

IMG_9866.PNG

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 8/21/2017 at 6:49 PM, birdcharm said:

What I really do not understand is how crafters who put items that can burn or melt into a gel candle can be so uncreative when there are so many options for safe embeds.

I honestly don't think its about being uncreative or creative, when it comes to E-bay seller's. Its all about the quick bucks. Whats fun is they warn you about color's may differ, but nothing about the candles may catch fire like a roman candle.  I stopped using E-bay over 10 years ago, do to the flooding of cheap sales, sad really. 

Your right though, I love gel-candles, but I haven't seen to many that I actually want to buy, besides the plain ones.  

• Like 1

I'm not a chandler. So I say this as a consumer and lover of candles. When I've seen them for sale they smell like Midland/Odessa in the summer, they make me itch, if someone could do them with EO's or unscented I would be allllll over them.

On 3/31/2018 at 4:26 PM, iansmommaya said:

I'm not a chandler. So I say this as a consumer and lover of candles. When I've seen them for sale they smell like Midland/Odessa in the summer, they make me itch, if someone could do them with EO's or unscented I would be allllll over them.

Unscented candle gel doesn't really smell very good, it has a slight bit of odor ... add to that a zinc wick and unscented really isn't, lol.  Only non-polar fragrance oils should be used, otherwise, among some other things, the gel will cloud, so, essential oils, I believe, would cloud the gel.  There are two main reasons I like them ... they burn for a very long time, and they put out a lot of light!  :)

• Like 1

On 3/31/2018 at 3:42 PM, Tokoo said:

I honestly don't think its about being uncreative or creative, when it comes to E-bay seller's. Its all about the quick bucks. Whats fun is they warn you about color's may differ, but nothing about the candles may catch fire like a roman candle.  I stopped using E-bay over 10 years ago, do to the flooding of cheap sales, sad really. 

Your right though, I love gel-candles, but I haven't seen to many that I actually want to buy, besides the plain ones.  

There are a lot of fun techniques that can be used to make them interesting pieces, it's too bad that it's as you say with some sellers. 

• 2 months later...

What gives gel candles a bad name? I think it's the word GEL... (I could be wrong though...) 

If we're gonna do "Gel" "Candles" I wanna see something like THIS: 

37793f36ea47386239ac8c20ecf65dc5.jpg

3722f58bc4738c2f7d26ea8bece25915.jpg

THOSE would be COOL "Gel" "Candles" 

Maybe this? 

a-chameleon-and-another-reptile-in-a-for

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-4ZLhiJsys4-Q0xsudYN

Let's get creative here people! 

Sponiebr
The Executor of BAD Ideas and Sundry Services

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

I'm gonna go have nightmares now.

Awh... I'm sorry... Here, drown this guy and light'm on fire... 

Related image

12 minutes ago, ncraiders said:

Some of those due look pretty but yeah are in no way safe.  i can't find the horrified reaction for posts. So i will put the reactions i wish i could of used here. 

🤯😱

TastyPlainIrukandjijellyfish-max-1mb.gif

Sorry... 

Sponiebr
The Executor (yeah, yeah, THEY KNOW already...) 

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
On 6/30/2018 at 6:22 PM, Sponiebr said:

What gives gel candles a bad name? I think it's the word GEL... (I could be wrong though...) 

If we're gonna do "Gel" "Candles" I wanna see something like THIS: 

37793f36ea47386239ac8c20ecf65dc5.jpg

3722f58bc4738c2f7d26ea8bece25915.jpg

THOSE would be COOL "Gel" "Candles" 

Maybe this? 

a-chameleon-and-another-reptile-in-a-for

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-4ZLhiJsys4-Q0xsudYN

Let's get creative here people! 

Sponiebr
The Executor of BAD Ideas and Sundry Services

THESE ARE FAB! I would buy them right now.

10 minutes ago, iansmommaya said:

THESE ARE FAB! I would buy them right now.

IKR?
Thanks for being on MY side Maya... It... it... was SO cold and, and DARK over here with my creepy jars filled with weird crap that didn't burn worth a damn... But now YOU'RE here and, and it's....

still dark dammit! Didn't you bring a flashlight or something?  

:laugh2:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sponiebr said:

IKR?
Thanks for being on MY side Maya... It... it... was SO cold and, and DARK over here with my creepy jars filled with weird crap that didn't burn worth a damn... But now YOU'RE here and, and it's....

still dark dammit! Didn't you bring a flashlight or something?  

:laugh2:

The flash light on my phone works really well when my phone works. 😂

• Haha 1