Recommendations for room spray FO's

bfroberts

I desperately need room spray scent suggestions.  Nothing bakery or foodie because these are used primarily for deodorizing purposes.  I use the Room Spray/Body Splash base from The Candlemakers Store.  I have tested a bunch of scents but only have 2 that are super strong and have staying power.  We put these in our rental cabins for guests to use, and we also sell them in our store.  They have really caught on in a big way and I would like to expand the line, but I cannot seem to find scents that measure up to the two I already have. Seems like I've tried most everyone's odor eliminating scents and even they do not seem to work as well as the two scents I currently use.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

(I apologize if this post is in the wrong place.)

• Like 1

I would try the odor neutralizing FO's that Shari suggested, and then do some recon, and go to the store, i.e., Walmart, Target, etc., and check out their room sprays and see which scents they have. 

You will probably find a lot of floral, vanilla, and berry/fruit type scents. Those, IMO seem to be the most popular. 

• Like 1

Personally I love citrus scents, especially lemon. Lemon verbena is popular + I have found a lot of people really like woodsy type scents to ex : Fillmores Christmas tree .

I think its not over powering and is very pleasant to the nose . I like herbal EO blends would be nice too. A Eucalyptus  blend or lavender blend for misting their sheets

at night ? What two suppliers / scents have been working out for you ? I think next time I'll order that base, Ive read good reviews. I ordered the hydrating botanical 

mist from essentials by catalyna ( I know its totally different than a room base) Im so - so with it. Doesn't hold much FO and gets sticky if you add to much. I don't think

I'll buy it again. I should have followed my gut and ordered the one you have. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys.  I haven't tried the odor neutralizing oils from WSP, although I did try using their lemongrass green tea and the citrus cilantro but I was underwhelmed with both.  I don't order much from them, so the opportunity to try their odor neutralizer FOs hasn't arisen yet.  I will get right on that.  I have RE's lemon verbena, which might be just the ticket.  I'll try that next.

All my citrus scents and odor eliminators have been disappointing in sprays. I've had the best luck with other FO's....Clean Breeze from NG and an apple pine something  from Aztec are the ones I'm currently using.  The one from Aztec takes twice as much as the one from NG, but it is just so pleasant & perfect in a room spray that it's worth it.  I've tried about 2 dozen scents so far and only found 2 that I am happy with.  As far as the base from TCS, I absolutely love it.  It is the best one I've tried so far. 

If you are looking for odor neutralizing scents, out of all the companies out there The Candlemakers store has the most....5 of them.  I had to call them and have them describe to me what each fragrance name smelled like.  They have a floral, one like a sweet bakery, one which is a spice, one is a citrus and I can't remember the other one.  Like Moonstar suggested Lemon Verbena would a great one.  I've been using for years Lemon Verbena from Flaming.....a top seller for me.  A super super strong one which is another huge huge seller is Luxe Linen from Community Candle.   Another one I can suggest which is  a super strong one is Basil-Sage-Mint from Flaming.  I think Lavender would be nice also like Moonstar said.   You said you put the fresheners in your cabin rentals....so you must be in the mountains like me sounds like.  Well, I would think a nice pine people would love.  Frasier Fir at CScience is just about the perfect dupe of Thymes Frasier Fir.  Christmas tree (which is a true balsam) is by Fillmore.......LOVELY!  For a pungent straight pine that I think is beautiful is Northwoods Christmas from Bittercreek.  What about an apple scent?  Macintosh from CS is totally awesome.   Don't know if this is something you would want to try which would be different for the summer is how about "Summer Scoop" by Flaming.  you talk about staying power?  Well that is just what this scent is like.  I don't even have the candle lit and you can smell it....I am so in love with this scent...

Trappeur

• Like 1

Have you considered essential oils? Lemongrass and litsea cubeba hit lemon notes, are economical and crazy strong at low usage levels. 

Rosemary and Peppermint/spearmint is refreshing.

lemon verbena

from WSP, bamboo sugarcane is strong and "different" in a tart sweet way.

florals usually are pretty potent. (Lilac, sweet pea)

Do you get people that stay in the cabins in the winter ? How bout some Christmas / Winter Forest type scents. I know you said no foodie scents but Im 

testing out scents for Christmas and I have a 1lb bottle of Aztec Cinnamon Sugar Donut - OMG its so yummy. I don't get food scent so much out of it

as I do lovely cinnamon sugar. I have the original formula not the new formulated one. I guess there was some problems with the original not mixing with 

wax ??? Im trying to decide between the Candle makers Store + RE's room spray base, any suggestions for me ? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clear Black said:

Are there specific fragrances designed for room sprays? Or can you use candle FO's? Sorry for the newbie questions, Ive never done anything with room sprays

Check the IFRA certificate for fragrances you would like to use. They will list the safe levels for all uses.

I was on Fillmore and noticed this one. Its described as a odor neutralizer. Ive never used this one but thought of your room sprays :) 

I read that you've used both room spray bases from Candlemakers store + RE do you prefer one over the other. Id like to try the pine bough + apples

from Aztec that you mentioned.Sounds like it has good lasting power .

http://www.fillmorecontainer.com/Rosemary-Thyme-Fragrance-Oil-1oz-P587.aspx

On 7/10/2017 at 11:53 AM, Moonstar said:

Do you get people that stay in the cabins in the winter ? How bout some Christmas / Winter Forest type scents. I know you said no foodie scents but Im 

testing out scents for Christmas and I have a 1lb bottle of Aztec Cinnamon Sugar Donut - OMG its so yummy. I don't get food scent so much out of it

as I do lovely cinnamon sugar. I have the original formula not the new formulated one. I guess there was some problems with the original not mixing with 

wax ??? Im trying to decide between the Candle makers Store + RE's room spray base, any suggestions for me ? 

I haven't tried RE's base, but I have tried several others.  Out of what I've tried, I prefer the base from Candlemakers Store.  Some of the others were heavier and more oily, some didn't remain clear when I added FO or they needed a modifier, and I ain't got time for that.  The Candlemakers Store base is lighter, and it has remained clear with all the FO's and EO's I've thrown at it.  Plus, the price is right.

I agree, that Cinn. Sugared Donut is delish.  I ordered a pound of that when it was released.  I too have the original and it really doesn't mix well with my wax.  I still made a bunch of clams with it.  They throw like nobody's business almost the minute they hit the warmer.

I've been too busy with my real job to test more FO's for room sprays, but I did order a bunch of samples.  We'll see how it goes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Want me to send you an ounce of the one from aroma Haven? I have had very good luck with it in water based sprays. I do add perfumers alcohol also to mine so it stays suspended in the air longer.

Okay now I am confused or maybe it is close to bedtime.  ...."the one from Aroma Haven"... do you mean the base?  If so, what do you mean by "good luck with it in water based sprays"? 

8 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Want me to send you an ounce of the one from aroma Haven? I have had very good luck with it in water based sprays. I do add perfumers alcohol also to mine so it stays suspended in the air longer.

Interesting, it sounds as if the perfumers alcohol is the secret to having the scent linger longer in the air. So what is the ratio that you use and do you use the 9% 

FO load that they say can be used ? I bought a stainless fine mist bottle from RE to test out but Im not sure about it, Im not crazy about the sprayer.Which 

bottles do you find work best for room sprays ? Thanks again :) I'll pm you my new address later .

9 minutes ago, pcbrook said:

Okay now I am confused or maybe it is close to bedtime.  ...."the one from Aroma Haven"... do you mean the base?  If so, what do you mean by "good luck with it in water based sprays"? 

I don't want to speak on TT's behalf but yes, the room spray base. The 2 I narrowed it down to is RE's + The CMS. Im sure TT will chime in to better answer you.

Thanks Moonstar!

If you are using the base why would you consider it water based spray?  Ugh!

I have the Aroma Haven base and have been testing it and I think it works great but I have only compared it to cyclo which was not any better than the base and costs more. 

I will wait to see if TT can straighten my brain out! :)  

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/24/2017 at 10:09 PM, TallTayl said:

The aromahaven FO/EO modifier is what I use. You mix it with fragrance or essential oil, then into water for a spray. I hate to pay to ship waster in premodern bases. 

Is this what you use for sprays TT? 

http://rusticescentuals.com/Fragrant-Room-and-Body-Spray.html

I couldnt find anything resembling a modifier and when I googled it I came up with this

Wait...I just found this I think you were referring to:

http://rusticescentuals.com/Fragrance-Oil-and-Essential-Oil-Modifier.html

But now I am confused even more. The first link looks to be a base for room spray correct? it also seems to be a better value 

Edited by Clear Black

I use the modifier. Personally, I hate relying on a supplier's bases as they change on a whim.

The modifier does not take much, and makes quite a lot. I need to look at my batch sheets to see how much a lb will make. The directions recommend using :" Add 1% modified FO or EO to water based products." I use 2-4% modified fragrance in body sprays and it lasts most of the day.

TO make it linger in the air a little perfumers alcohol does double duty as a preservative and enhancer.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I use the modifier. Personally, I hate relying on a supplier's bases as they change on a whim.

The modifier does not take much, and makes quite a lot. I need to look at my batch sheets to see how much a lb will make. The directions recommend using :" Add 1% modified FO or EO to water based products." I use 2-4% modified fragrance in body sprays and it lasts most of the day.

TO make it linger in the air a little perfumers alcohol does double duty as a preservative and enhancer.

First of thanks TT as always. 

So if I am following you correctly, you basically make your spray in two parts. 1st part is making your modified FO at 2-4%, then 2nd part being adding your modified FO mixture and water together to make your final spray with adding the perfumers alchy as a last step.

So my next questions would be....according to that link I left above, it says to make your modified FO mixture at a 3:1 ratio of modifier/FO. Is this correct? And lastly, at what percent of the main batch do you add your perfumers alchy?

Lol...another barrage of questions for you so sorry!!

I actually make it all in situ, but phases. First blend the modifier with the eo/FO, let it clear. Then add the alcohol. Then the water. The mix takes color well, either through a drop of dye, a sprinkle of mica, and even the synthetic fluorphlogopite (synthetic mica) for sparkle like the Viniq wines.

each FO has a slightly different requirement for modifier. Some do not require that much modifier at all. I have been successful adding more modifier to some that cloud after the fact to make a finished batch crystal clear.

IMO the alcohol is the magic ingredient. 

Essentials by Catalina has several *very* nice bases. They are forthcoming with the ingredients too! At least you know what is in it. Aromahaven is coy with theirs, (which bugs the crap out of me). 

The way around it all is to use opaque packaging so the cloud is not an issue ?