New Wax - Serious issues! Help!

On 6/26/2017 at 0:54 PM, Scents and Warmers said:

The pour temp only helped a little, (I dropped the pour temp down to 145-150)  but did not smooth out the tops. And yes, the tops just look awful huh? Only way I could fix the issue was blending with another wax. The scent hold/throw is fine with the wax it's just the tops look terrible. Didn't take much on the blend, to do 4 clams I used only 2oz of a blender wax (have used KY and ProBlend) with 8oz of the lp416 and my coconut oil I always blend in and they turned out great. I'm still working on that scent list I told you I'd get, Moonshine... Been getting ready for our annual pig roast and have been swamped making sprays. Just wanted to let you know I haven't forgot about you. ?

What type of coconut oil do you use? 

• 2 months later...

Unreal... I ordered the gw416 from my original supplier I ordered from the first time I ordered the gw416 and they sdnt me the lp416, so I am now back at square one again with the wax issue. I ordered from the candlemakerstore. Anyone else have issues like this with them?? Now i have to order more mixer wax which is what I was trying to avoid in the first place. 

Edited by Scents and Warmers

4 minutes ago, Scents and Warmers said:

Unreal... I ordered the gw416 from my original supplier I ordered from the first time I ordered the gw416 and they sdnt me the lp416, so I am now back at square one again with the wax issue. I ordered from the candlemakerstore. Anyone else have issues like this with them?? Now i have to order more mixer wax which is what I was trying to avoid in the first place. 

If they sent you the wrong wax they should be able to replace it by sending you an RMA and once they receive it back, send you the correct wax. I would push the issue of them doing that. 

They are claiming it is the only wax they carry and it is not. I ordrered the exact same wax I ordrered the first time when I ordered the gw and it even says on their website, gw416. I just did a small 3oz test run and sure enough, horrible tops. They are of no help nor do they intend to make it right.

I am a little confuzzled. IP416? Is that the packaging new Aksoy owner of the brand?

Could be they are just into the new AKOsoy stock. Not many retailers were up to speed on the changes. They sell the new as they did the old. Even candlescience chose to not update all of their wax descriptions. Last I looked, only 415 description was updated. The others look as if they never changed to AKOsoy. 

Well anyone that has tried the lp416 agrees, it is a horrible wax to work with. If I would have any inclination it was not going to be as listed/advertised I would have gone elsewhere. It is the exact same item number as I originally ordered. Oomph. Guess I just won`t be ordering from them anymore for anything. So, now back onthe web to order my fmixer wax I guess. Lol. Thanks for your input. Wax is one of those things that change is not always good, wish they understood that. Have a great day!

You do have the same wax as you ordered before - you just got caught up with the new labeling 

gw416 is exactly the same as lp416 aaksoy

It took me awhile to figure this all out, it wasn't announced very loud and clear like the ecosoya waxes

golden brands is now golden wax aaksoy and have some numbering changes but there was a ton of product out there with old lots and labeling 

soooooo- ordering from another supplier isn't going to change anything - I have a feeling your wax is also affected with the new FDA regulations in manufacturing 

?‍♀️Welcome to the club ?

• Like 1

It should not affect wax melt labeling as we don't eat wax melts. It just impacted the way that waxes with a food use had to be manufactured. Trans fats are no longer allowed. So we're all suffering together. It's a cozy club here I'll make room for you on the bench.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

It should not affect wax melt labeling as we don't eat wax melts. It just impacted the way that waxes with a food use had to be manufactured. Trans fats are no longer allowed. So we're all suffering together. It's a cozy club here I'll make room for you on the bench.

lol, lol

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...
On 6/3/2017 at 8:21 PM, KrisS said:

"LP" is indicative of their Louisville, KY plant.   It's made there.      You're going the wrong direction with pour temps.   It pours better at a hotter temp than you'd expect with it being soy.    Heat in the Presto to 200*.   Dump into your pour pot.   Stir to incorporate fragrance.    Pour while still hot--you'll need to play with it to find the sweet spot that works best for you and your means/methods.

What about pouring so hot, 190-200, into plastic clamshells? Won't the plastic warp or melt? I've not tried pouring that hot into plastic to see what happens.

With high temp waxes and when making melts, is it best to use metal tart molds?

24 minutes ago, Laura C said:

What about pouring so hot, 190-200, into plastic clamshells? Won't the plastic warp or melt? I've not tried pouring that hot into plastic to see what happens.

With high temp waxes and when making melts, is it best to use metal tart molds?

The post you quoted was a perfect example of me being procedure/functionally blind to everyone else.  I don't typically use clamshells for my testers.

6 minutes ago, KrisS said:

The post you quoted was a perfect example of me being procedure/functionally blind to everyone else.  I don't typically use clamshells for my testers.

LOL, Ok thanks. I may try pouring real hot the next time I make some clamshells to see what happens.

2 hours ago, Laura C said:

LOL, Ok thanks. I may try pouring real hot the next time I make some clamshells to see what happens.

I have successfully poured at 180 in clamshells with no damage. At 185 the corners start to dent in a little. 

I guess that that depends on the brand of clamshells too. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Sebleo said:

I have successfully poured at 180 in clamshells with no damage. At 185 the corners start to dent in a little. 

I guess that that depends on the brand of clamshells too. 

Thanks for the response. That brings up a good point because I've noticed some clamshells are thicker than others. Also I read somewhere that waxes with melt points at 145 F or lower are better for making melts/tarts. I don't know, I just have to go through trial and error and I'll keep in mind your 180-185 range. :)

6 minutes ago, GoldieMN said:

The company (Maple Street?) I buy clamshells from says 150 for pouring.

GoldieMN

Thanks for the info. I was just checking out their clamshells, LOL. Recently with the waxes I'm playing around with I've poured between 150-165 in clamshells and they do seem fine and I've gotten rid of the jump lines I was seeing. I do have a pretty, pure white paraffin wax with a high melt point that I may test out.

I ordered samples from Natures Garden then switched to CandleClamshells. One of the sites used to list a pour temp up to 180. Neither say that now. But, that’s  why I decided to give it a try. 

Edit: I was wrong about Natures Garden. It was Candle Science and they still say their clamshells will take up to 180 pour. 

Edited by Sebleo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, lovelyscents said:

A votive, pillar, or container paraffin?  I like pretty 🤗

23 hours ago, Laura C said:

I do have a pretty, pure white paraffin wax with a high melt point that I may test out.

The pure white opaque wax is IGI 4641 Votive and Gel Embed wax w/163 melt point, no scent and no dye. (aka AstroLite V, I guess)

And IGI 4794 Votive/Tart w/128 melt point is a pretty white opaque wax also but has a little bit of a transparent look to it, no scent and no dye.

I like to make some plan melts with new waxes so I can see how they look and feel just on their own before I start adding FO and dye to the mix.