Needed a quick divider mold

TallTayl

Making coconut cleaning soap is easy. It's almost fun. Almost only because the stuff has to be cut into blocks while still scorching hot, but past gelling. I booger up the cuts more often then not because  I either wait too long or not long enough.

Not wanting to spend another dime on individual custom molds to make them as 3.5x3.5 cubes, I used my silicone log mold, a few strips of tape, and cuts off of a sheet of acrylic sheet i had taking up space.

Measured the approximate dimensions, let fly with a razor knife and voila. Individual dividers for FREEEEEEE.

I just carefully slid the divider down through the just poured soap. Easy peasy. To make sure they didn't wiggle during gel (or because I am clumsy) i used a little packing tape to hold the top of the mold steady. the tape doubled as a cover to minimize ash.

The mold is an ED RED mold with a frame made of foam core presentation board harvested from an elementary school project that would otherwise hit the dumpster.

the acrylic sheet is .100" thick and is from my local home improvement store in the windows section. I may chop a bit more of it to make those no-line wood molds it was originally intended for. ... ... tomorrow is another day.

DSC_0075.JPG

DSC_0077.JPG

• Like 2

I actually made a full mold out of acrylic like that. Got some great use out of it while it lasted, but it got pretty brittle pretty quick (within a year for me and I don't soap as much as some) so had to toss it.  

But for liners, I think this is a great idea!! 

I love my ED molds. They are some of my best molds. I have 6 of them. 

6 minutes ago, Honeybadgeress said:

How long do the silicone molds last?

I think I've had mine for 8 years now?? Maybe longer? I'm not sure. I can't remember when I got it, but it was back when ED first had them and they were only $15 without the basket and $25 for the combo, so quite a while ago. They are all still in great condition. I have one where the sides are a tiny bit floppy - but I just use that one in one of the baskets I have or one of the wooden outer boxes I had made for them. 

• Like 1