Confession time: Major Mistake:Soaping

8-GRAN-ONES

I was making up some non fragranced soap..

I had my lye pre-batched from about a month ago, that I used.

I had planned on using GM.

So I thought I will just really make this nice and use all GM, instead of water..

My mistake is:  I used twice as much at water/GM as I should have, and used 1/2 the amount of lye I needed..for the amount of soaping oils.

Is there anyway to salvage this soap?

I feel really stupid...after 9 1/2 years of making soap, I should not be making these kind of mistakes....

Edited by 8-GRAN-ONES

You can rebatch and add in the missing lye. That's the only thing I know to do. I've done that same exact thing before, and rebatching worked. Took a little longer to unmold and cure because of the extra liquid, but it ended up being one of the best soaps I've used. 

use as little water as possible that it takes to dissolve the lye. like a 50/50 ratio or less. that's what I did, and even if you are adding more water, if you cook the rebatch a little longer (like 15-30 minutes) it will evaporate some of that out. 

Use the Miss Lilli method. I posted a thread about it a couple of months ago and can find it if you can't )

Make a new batch of soap using this stuff as part of the new batch. You can use the minimum amount of water to lye (50% solution - half lye half water).

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 8-GRAN-ONES said:

it turned out great..

not quite as smooth as when it is first made.

but totally acceptable. 

the body of the soap is smooth, but the top is not as smooth looking as a first pour.

That's typical of a rebatched soap. It'll feel really nice on the skin too. I love the way rebatched soaps feel. 

On 5/27/2017 at 0:48 PM, 8-GRAN-ONES said:

it turned out great..

not quite as smooth as when it is first made.

but totally acceptable. 

the body of the soap is smooth, but the top is not as smooth looking as a first pour.

Glad you could save the soap!