Top Wax Blends

DestinyRae

What are the top wax blends for melts? I know this question could have so many answers and it can be different results for each person but I'm kinda looking for a place to begin...I love soy and the look of it so I would rather use a parasoy blend...tried a all soy blend with terrible results unfortunately :/ Pretty bummed about it. Does anyone use vybar? Will that help my results with a all soy blend or parasoy blend..

You're correct on how things can differentiate so much from person to person even using the same wax, oil, temp, method etc.  Take it from me who is still testing my tush off finding differences in waxes that I am testing.  Heck, 5 days ago I wasn't noticing what was different from wax to wax while using a good oil.  Now that I am testing tons of oils in each wax individually, I'm finally starting to notice things better.  Honestly, once I found this forum and searched for days and hours, I was set on certain blends according to others recommendations.  Once trying for myself, wasn't exactly what I want.  I'm even going back to basics experimenting with beeswax and all just for my own cusriousity and final results.  I highly recommend Flaming Candle, CS or Peak to get some smaller amount of wax and test your heart out.  It's frustrating but at the same time, I'm loving it.  Good luck :)

I meant to add that I highly recommend starting slow such as testing one wax type at a time to get to know it.  For example, test different soy waxes first and compare to one another, same with paraffin, same with parasoy preblends.  I was bad going all out and doing 6 different waxes at once while first starting out (soy, parrafin and parasoy preblend).  I ended up with over 100 tarts with numerous combinations and all it did was confuse me...especially when not knowing exactly what FOs will perform well, so I didn't know if it was the wax or oil doing well or not doing well.  I do not recommend this way to find your wax blend.  I'm reversing my bus and doing one wax at a time with several oils until I know the difference for sure of each, then I will blend.

Edited by lovelyscents
  • Like 1

As lovely scents suggested, go to Peak and to Flaming Candle to get samples of waxes to try. This will save you lots of money. Flaming candle has great stuff....fragrance oils too. 

If you have decided you want to go with a parasoy for sure.....Have you tried the KY parasoy wax?  It has great throw for me. And many others on here.  You prolly need to go back to those parasoys you have tried and retry before you start blending. It is strange that none of them would work for you. It sounds as if it is likely to do with your process if you are getting no hot throw from any of them. I would heat to 190, add frangrance no lower than 180 and pour at the temp you wish.  What temp are you adding the FO?   It could also be the warmer....what wattage of warmer do you have?  I recommend testing in a 20 watt warmer. 

If you want to blend, you need a paraffin and a soy wax, one pillar and one container, start with a 5050 blend and go from there based on the characteristics you are after. For an all paraffin blend go to IGI 4630 for paraffin and 4796 votive and start with a 5050 blend, then adjust based on results. Some people also use the 4625, but I didn't have great results with that one when I blended with the container. I would recommend buying a large bottle of a frangrance known to have great throw and test all waxes with the same frangrance. You then will know that it is the wax and not the frangrance. 

• Like 1

The KY is very hard, not as hard as 4625, but plenty hard. I have actually been trying to make it softer for slicing and I can't seem to make that happen without major stickage (I think it has to be with the additives that are in it). I think you will find it plenty hard if that is what you are looking for....it releases easily. 

On 4/30/2017 at 4:44 PM, Nickie said:

As lovely scents suggested, go to Peak and to Flaming Candle to get samples of waxes to try. This will save you lots of money. Flaming candle has great stuff....fragrance oils too. 

If you have decided you want to go with a parasoy for sure.....Have you tried the KY parasoy wax?  It has great throw for me. And many others on here.  You prolly need to go back to those parasoys you have tried and retry before you start blending. It is strange that none of them would work for you. It sounds as if it is likely to do with your process if you are getting no hot throw from any of them. I would heat to 190, add frangrance no lower than 180 and pour at the temp you wish.  What temp are you adding the FO?   It could also be the warmer....what wattage of warmer do you have?  I recommend testing in a 20 watt warmer. 

If you want to blend, you need a paraffin and a soy wax, one pillar and one container, start with a 5050 blend and go from there based on the characteristics you are after. For an all paraffin blend go to IGI 4630 for paraffin and 4796 votive and start with a 5050 blend, then adjust based on results. Some people also use the 4625, but I didn't have great results with that one when I blended with the container. I would recommend buying a large bottle of a frangrance known to have great throw and test all waxes with the same frangrance. You then will know that it is the wax and not the frangrance. 

Nickie, what didn't you like with the 4625?

I can't get it to throw in any of my lower wattage melters and it's because the melt point is so high. It will throw in my 20w warmer, but most Scentsy warmers don't come in 20w. In fact some are as low as 8 watts. This wax would never melt in an 8w warmer.  As a stand alone wax, it takes nearly 2 hours to fully melt in my Yankee and Scentsy warmers. I just don't think it's a good idea asking customers to wait 2 hours for significant throw. I will say it does well for about 2 hours in my candle melters, but that isn't long enough. Plus I would say the reason most people melt is to get rid of the open flame. 

Even when I have added a softer wax to it, I just overall wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be.  I much prefer 4794 over the 4525. I am still playing with it a little, but this one has lots of red flags to me. 

I finally found my formula after months of testing but I am always open to suggestions! I use the illumination warmers! They are 25 watts and I feel they work the best.  Honestly I will never use another warmer,if I do not get a great hot throw with them then, i feel like the wax/FO  is not up to par...the electric hot plates have a good throw for about half a hour and get too hot and dissipate the frangrance too fast.With the 25 watt my smell with last for days and that is with turning it off at night. Illumination warmers are the best for my parasoy blend.

• Like 2