Question about LS

Candybee

I don't know how to find the answer to this question so I'll just ask.

If you can get DOS in bar soap what will happen in liquid soap (LS)?

I ask because I like using oils like regular sunflower or grapeseed where you really have to watch you formulations or you can end up with DOS in your bar soap.

Doe it not apply to LS? Can I make an LS recipe with a high amount of say safflower, or grapeseed, or sunflower, or hemp? or any of the oils that are prone to DOS if used in high percentages of your recipe?

That's a shame. But it makes sense. I was hoping I could make a LS with a large % of regular sunflower oil. I love the reg sunflower because its high in linoleic and leaves my hands and skin so soft. That would be ideal for a liquid hand soap. But too much causes DOS in bar soap.

So I suppose I will keep working on formulating stable LS so it won't go rancid on me.

Next question: what about stabilizers like ROE? Would that help? Can you even use it in LS? Would you even want to?

I've never had my LS go rancid, but I have had it get moldy, which is why I started using a preservative in my dilution. One of my formulas is very high in Sunflower, but it is the High Oleoic type, but it's not gone rancid on me and I have a bottle that is about a year old diluted (the paste is older), smells fine. I don't know if the type makes a difference.

I don't scent my LS either usually because I like the smell of it as is. 

9 minutes ago, Barbara AL said:

Do you have Catherine Failors liquid soap making book? I like her Coco Loco recipe I usually make half a recipe makes about 70-80 ounces for half recipe.

I have it. I am looking at the recipe. Looks like 50% are soft oils. I don't think I can use 50% reg sunflower.

Right now I have a recipe with reg sunflower that I use:

Olive Oil - 55%

Sunflower - 10%

Coconut Oil -25%

Castor - 10%

I am using the glycerin method which adds a nice moisturizing to the finished soap. But I want to increase my sunflower without the soap going rancid. Ideally I would love the Sunflower to be 20-25% of the recipe.

I am asking these questions because I am concerned about the soap going rancid.

If it helps, I got some grapefruit seed extract to use as a preservative because I will be adding clarified liquid aloe juice as part of my liquid. Not sure yet if I will be adding the aloe as my cooking liquid or as my dillution liquid. If I use it as part of my  dillution liquid then I need to use a preservative like the grapefruit seed extract. I also have some tocopherol I love to add for lable appeal but it clouds the finished LS.

So..... was wondering if the grapefruit seed extract might be helpful in upping my current % of sunflower to help stabalize the oils or will it not be effective for that?

16 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

I've never had my LS go rancid, but I have had it get moldy, which is why I started using a preservative in my dilution. One of my formulas is very high in Sunflower, but it is the High Oleoic type, but it's not gone rancid on me and I have a bottle that is about a year old diluted (the paste is older), smells fine. I don't know if the type makes a difference.

I don't scent my LS either usually because I like the smell of it as is. 

I loved your LS tutorial and it inspired me to start making LS. I also love the oils you use. However I personally prefer regular sunflower oil over the high oleic. The fatty acid in reg sunflower is linoleic and it is prone to high iodine levels and DOS in bar soap. So thus my questions.

I like to use high oleic sunflower in soaps but as a sub for olive oil. I prefer the reg sunflower as I discovered it leaves my skin super soft. More so than both high oleic sunflower or olive oil. But a combo with reg sunflower is nice and will give you the soft skin. So I usually use OO with reg sunflower. I just want to up my sunflower in my LS to give my skin that extra softness.

Give it a go and see how you like it and how long it lasts.

i found using the glycerin method my soap paste started smelling rancid much quicker than using traditional LS methods. Which makes sense. The glycerin method was used by pharmacists to create a fast product that could be used immediately, not left on the shelf for months to age. 

We typically use a lot of heat to make LS, which breaks down the fatty acid chains more quickly than the cold process method. I doubt GSE or other additives to prolong the shelf life of the raw oil would make much of a difference.

• Like 1

TT - when you talk about the glycerin method do you mean full glycerin for the cook/recipe part? Did you also use it as part of your dillution?

I am asking because I currently am splitting the liquid with half glycerin and half distilled water for the cook. For the dillution I am using distilled water. So I use less or half the amount of glycerin than the original method that used all glycerin for the liquid in the cook. So I was wondering which amount of glycerin did you use for those batches that turned rancid smelling.

Okay. I feel encouraged enough to try a test batch with increased sunflower. So for my next batch I want to increase my sunflower and sub part of the water for the clarified aloe juice I just got. Just not sure yet if I want to use the aloe in the paste batch or the dillution part.

I don't know about others but there is a certain excitement I get in trying out a new recipe, oil combo, method, or additive in my soapmaking. I kind of enjoy the experience in the R&D part of my soapmaking.

That's what I do. Split the water for the lye and the glycerin as the rest of the liquid. Funny no one else who posted about using the glycerin method mentioned any rancid batches.

I think at this point I will continue the glycerin method until I experience a problem with it. I really like the glycerin method for hand soap.