Working with thick Pine Tar

Candybee

Ran out of pine tar so went to buy some more and they were out of my regular brand. So I bought the one they had. The difference was this one is super thick instead of syrupy. I am talking so thick it doesn't pour. It must be spooned out.

I could see right away it was going to stick to my stick blender in a big sticky wad if I tried to SB it into the batter.

So I spooned out the pine tar I needed directly into the batter. Then I popped the whole bowl with soap batter and pine tar into the micro for 2 minutes. Softened up the pine tar enough for me to get it blended nicely into the batter without sticking to the bowl or my SB.

I crossed my fingers and added the lye and blended it into the batter with my whisk instead of my SB. It came out nice and I was able to pour the batter into the mold before it started to accelerate the way pine tar does.

Here is a pick of the pine tar I used. If you pick up this brand remember to heat it up in some oil or in the batter before using. Also, use a large stainless steel tablespoon to get it out. Its seriously much easier to use than a rubbermaid spatula. Plus its easier to remove the tar from stainless steel. Again, use a little oil on a paper towel to get the tar off your utensils.

Hope this helps someone if someday you buy a pine tar that's extra thick. My other pine tar was easier to work with. But knowing how to work with the super thick one like I did helps.

58ee612786f0e_PineTar.thumb.jpg.9ba3ed08490a6feff9f01e70eb29355f.jpg

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Candybee said:

Ran out of pine tar so went to buy some more and they were out of my regular brand. So I bought the one they had. The difference was this one is super thick instead of syrupy. I am talking so thick it doesn't pour. It must be spooned out.

I could see right away it was going to stick to my stick blender in a big sticky wad if I tried to SB it into the batter.

So I spooned out the pine tar I needed directly into the batter. Then I popped the whole bowl with soap batter and pine tar into the micro for 2 minutes. Softened up the pine tar enough for me to get it blended nicely into the batter without sticking to the bowl or my SB.

I crossed my fingers and added the lye and blended it into the batter with my whisk instead of my SB. It came out nice and I was able to pour the batter into the mold before it started to accelerate the way pine tar does.

Here is a pick of the pine tar I used. If you pick up this brand remember to heat it up in some oil or in the batter before using. Also, use a large stainless steel tablespoon to get it out. Its seriously much easier to use than a rubbermaid spatula. Plus its easier to remove the tar from stainless steel. Again, use a little oil on a paper towel to get the tar off your utensils.

Hope this helps someone if someday you buy a pine tar that's extra thick. My other pine tar was easier to work with. But knowing how to work with the super thick one like I did helps.

58ee612786f0e_PineTar.thumb.jpg.9ba3ed08490a6feff9f01e70eb29355f.jpg

I have only used Farnam brand (which is what's in your picture), and it works just fine, but yeah, you gotta warm it up in fat first. Feed stores down here in my part of Florida only seem to carry Farnam pine tar, as I have NEVER seen ANYOTHER brand of pine tar in Florida in my entire life, (I used to work at a feed store when I was a kid, and I saw A LOT of feed stores in my life).  Also, if you let your fats cool too much Farnam Pine tar WILL settle out and stick to the bottom of your container so if you intend to let your fats cool a little before adding the lye MAKE SURE you keep the pine tar side stirred. (Ask me how I know....) 

Out of curiousity, what is your normal brand of pine tar Candy?

This is the one I had been using. The pine tar is more like a syrup and can pour right out of the can. No need for a spoon or to heat it up first. It also blends right into your soap batter without heating it up. But I have only seen it in a 16oz can for around $12. The Farnham? Horse Health Brand cost me $13 for 32oz.

58ee6f60def99_PineTar2.jpg.0108feaa896381924cd899d005ada32e.jpg

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

I've been wanting to try a pinetar soap for ages.   Would you mind giving me some guidance on how much pinetar ppo you use?

Does the pinetar have a SAP value, or is it just an additive?

For years I've used a prescribed ointment that includes pinetar - it's horrible stuff, but very effective when my skin is at its worst - and also Pinetarsol as a soap substitute when inflamed.  It would be nice to have a soap available for maintenance.

11 minutes ago, deejaycee said:

I've been wanting to try a pinetar soap for ages.   Would you mind giving me some guidance on how much pinetar ppo you use?

For years I've used a prescribed ointment that includes pinetar - it's horrible stuff, but very effective when my skin is at its worst - and also Pinetarsol as a soap substitute when inflamed.  It would be nice to have a soap available for maintenance.

I found a recipe for you :) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, deejaycee said:

Oh... Are YOU in for a ride! (low whistle...) Yeah boy pine tar CP soap is exciting stuff to make. ;)

That SOTM by Chefmom is a good solid formulation.

And now a few words from our benefactor "Bad Idea Sponie": 

Hi folks! I'm Sponiebr and I bring bad things to life... That's right! For JUST 2000 easy payments of $19.95 per hour (+plus tag, tax, title, fees, processing, undercoating, and insurance) I will execute a bad idea FOR you so you don't have to suffer the pain... It's what I do, and it's why I exist. "Bring to me your seething depraved horrid musings, Behold! I lift my spoonula before the boiling cauldron of trouble!" The New Colostomy. -Sponie of the B.R. 

So... I've got a couple of suggestions that might make your Pine-Tar-Soap-Making-Thrill-of-a-LIFETIME-Experience-Extravaganza... Less... (hmmm what's the word?... Terrifying? No, no... that doesn't describe it well enough...  Stressful? Yeah...) stressful. 

1. CP Pine tar soap moves FAST. My times are anywhere from 25-55 seconds from incorporated to stuck to the sides of the bowl, and I soap COLD with a whisk. So having said that, have everything set up so that your steps are clearly thought out BEFORE you start the soaping and so that everything works in perfect choreography. You won't have time to think about what's next once you get it soaping.  

2. Give your stick blender to a friend and have them hold it hostage until this ordeal has passed. Seriously, pine tar moves fast and if you put a stick blender to it, it will become one with the bowl AND the stick blender. 

3. (I'm weird) I like a little peppermint EO in my pine tar soap. 

4. I personally haven't noticed any reduction in trace time between just mixing all of the fats together with the pine tar and soaping the fats first and then adding my pine tar. Personally, I just throw all the fats, pine tar, and EO in a bowl and soap it. 

5. Soapcalc does have Pine tar listed as a fat you can add to your formulation. It doesn't have a SAP value though it DOES take up a percentage. 

6. 20% pine tar PPO seems to be the magic number. Any less and it doesn't seem to help much as an additive, and any more than 20% just seems to make the soap softer.

7. Pine tar seems to kick fast no matter what percentage you use. 

8. Pine tar soap gets hot in the mold, AND it sweats... This is normal...Usually... 

9. Sodium Lactate may slow down trace a bit and TT advises lecithin will slow the trace down a bit as well.  

Pine tar is one of the more difficult soaps I make, but VERY MUCH worth the hassle.

Best of luck!

Sponiebr