I. Can. Not. Layer. Please. Help.

glasllyn

It doesn't matter which base I use. I spray with the correct alcohol. The layers do not adhere. They always come apart.

I find that the directions are too vague. "Wait until it forms a skin" means nothing to me. "Press the top to test." OK. But how firm should it be? Despite the tutorials, I just can't make it work. I'm missing something. There must be a correct way to do it, not just vague "when it's ready" instructions. Maybe an exact temperature? Something? Anything?  

Please help with this sad soap situation. 

Thanks.

I've only made melt 'n' pour in trays ... now, I have layered them but that entailed a pour for the molded design, then a top pour for the rest of the mold.  I don't know if I poured the second layer hotter than the first as in candle wax, but maybe I did.  Did you try warming the molded layer with a heat gun briefly to warm it up just a bit before applying the second layer?  Maybe that would help, I'm not sure, but it might be worth a try.

• Like 1

What are you making?  Did you say you were working on cupcakes?  Is the second layer you're adding whipped? ... or are you making layers in a tray or bars?

When I made layers in a tray (the bottom layer being a design feature), I poured it and allowed it to harden; misted it with rubbing alcohol just before pouring the second layer and they become one piece.  So, I've kind of made layers in a sense (with the bottom layer being a design that is actually on the top of the soap), but I've never made cupcakes, if that is what you're working on.  I was thinking if the bottom part of the cupcake is almost set, then a brief warming on the surface may not hurt right before adding a top layer, but I don't know, it was simply a guess that maybe if the bottom part was almost firm that warming the top surface could possibly ready it for sticking to another layer.

What soap base are you using?  And, if you're doing cupcakes (I think you said that in another post, sorry if I'm wrong about that), what is the recipe for the whipped portion?

Maybe someone with cupcake experience will be able to help.

• Like 1

You're so kind. Thank you for the thoughtful reply. I'm not working on cupcakes; oddly enough, I was able to get that to work. I'm talking about simple layers with BB bases. I'm beginning to think it was the FO I was using because it made everything rubbery and I'll not be using it again. I'm going to give it a shot this morning with a different FO and let you know what happens. 

Im sure you'll be on the edge of your seat the whole time! 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Layers can be tricky. The key will be to not pour too hot for your second layer. For the first layer, a helpful trick to know if it is hard enough to pour another layer is to blow gently across the surface. If it ripples, don't pour a new layer yet. Once it no longer ripples, you are ready to pour a new layer. Spritz generously with rubbing alcohol and make sure your next layer is at or below 125*F. If it is too hot, it will be at risk of breaking through your first layer. It does take lots of practice and even when you think you have it, you may run into some trouble. Another trick I have seen is that if the layers fall apart, keep some clear base on hand and you can use it as a glue if you are in a pinch ;)

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, runner14jc said:

Layers can be tricky. The key will be to not pour too hot for your second layer. For the first layer, a helpful trick to know if it is hard enough to pour another layer is to blow gently across the surface. If it ripples, don't pour a new layer yet. Once it no longer ripples, you are ready to pour a new layer. Spritz generously with rubbing alcohol and make sure your next layer is at or below 125*F. If it is too hot, it will be at risk of breaking through your first layer. It does take lots of practice and even when you think you have it, you may run into some trouble. Another trick I have seen is that if the layers fall apart, keep some clear base on hand and you can use it as a glue if you are in a pinch ;)

Great advice. I always had problems working with layers. But I eventually did get good with adding embeds that tended to float to the top. Its all in the timing of pouring the layers. Just takes patience and practice!

• Like 1

It's ironic, because it seems like in the soaping world, M&P is considered the "easy" way to make soap.

Ha! 

There is one word to describe my MP soaps, it starts with F and ends with "ugly". 😂

I love looking at what talented MP artists can do, it reminds me in a way of carved and molded candles. Too pretty to use, lol!

So, sorry, no advice from me @glasllyn, but lots of sympathy, and I would love to hear if you master the layers!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, runner14jc said:

Thanks so much for this!