Scented beeswax candles

Hi all,

I'd really like to make scented beeswax candles as my best friend bought me a 100% pure beeswax candle and it smelled incredibly strong. Although having read a lot on how beeswax traps scent, I'm starting to wonder if I should try or not as I'm very fond of beeswax.

Has anyone successfully made scented beeswax container candles with fragrance oils? If so, did anyone blend it with another wax to allow for fragrance throw?

Thank you all ☺

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tall Tayl makes scented beeswax candles and I've made them in the past also.  I personally like cinnamon or earthy scents in the beeswax cause I think it compliments the actual scent of the wax itself.  I've never heard that beeswax traps scent before, but I've never had any problems using FO's at a normal rate of 1 oz./lb.  :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I sell a lot of scented beeswax pillars. Florals, like lemon verbena, plumeria, lilac, etc. are wonderful. spicy and fall scents all sell strongly. 

Beeswax is not the easiest in containers I have found. Wicking to act like a container candle requires a torch. I do make normal pillars that fit into ceramic containers that I make. Those are difficult to "hug" to keep the beeswax burning correctly. Have tveen working on various blends but none thrill me.

• Thanks 1

On Monday, April 10, 2017 at 10:23 AM, ChrisR said:

Tall Tayl makes scented beeswax candles and I've made them in the past also.  I personally like cinnamon or earthy scents in the beeswax cause I think it compliments the actual scent of the wax itself.  I've never heard that beeswax traps scent before, but I've never had any problems using FO's at a normal rate of 1 oz./lb.  :)

Hi ChrisR many thanks for your response. Do you make scented pillars? 

I assumed 1.5 oz per lb would be meeded as I remember reading somewhere that beeswax does trapscent but am so happy to find out that's not the case! ??

On Monday, April 10, 2017 at 10:54 AM, TallTayl said:

I sell a lot of scented beeswax pillars. Florals, like lemon verbena, plumeria, lilac, etc. are wonderful. spicy and fall scents all sell strongly. 

Beeswax is not the easiest in containers I have found. Wicking to act like a container candle requires a torch. I do make normal pillars that fit into ceramic containers that I make. Those are difficult to "hug" to keep the beeswax burning correctly. Have tveen working on various blends but none thrill me.

Hi TallTayl many thanks to you for your response. Can you please explain the torch method?  Those scents sound all so lovely. Do you guys use yellow or white beeswax? I read on the net that white beeswax is better for scenting beeswax as apparently the yellow has a lot of pollen and it clogs the wick, did anyone experience this?  How do you guys find the throw at 1 oz per lb? ??

Torch is a bad thing. It means far too big of a wick that it becomes unsafe.

i use both yellow and white beeswax. Yellow beeswax varies a lot from batch to batch. Once you learn it you will figure out how to correct for color and viscosity.

1oz PPO is all I use with beeswax. With a wax that expensive already, and that hard to burn well, why waste more $? Use scents that are well known good throwers to start. Most florals fit that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

White beeswax is just bleached beeswax and not any easier to wick than the yellow.  The only time I use white beeswax is when I want to dye it a pastel color.  I do like TallTayl and use usually FO at 1 oz per lb., but some of my better throwers I can use less.  Beeswax in glass containers use such a large wick that it can cause the container to shatter because it gets way too hot.  If you want to do container beeswax candles, use tins.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thank you TallTayl ? 

Before I joined this forum I was going to experiment with a mix of coconut oil, but I couldn't really find any definite feedback of the coconut oil mixed with beeswax. I then started to wonder about nut allergies and was apprehensive about using coconut oil.

If you don't mind me asking how do you incorporate the palm kernel oil into the beeswax and how much per pound?

Also, what is the reccomended cure time when making the scented beeswax candles?

Many thanks ??

• Like 1

The amount of Palm  kernel depends on the lot of beeswax itself. Some lots I get are very hard to burn. I have gone as high as 50% in my container tests. Sometimes I can use fully refined white beeswax to also help improve the burn.

The lot of beeswax i have now is very easy to burn, so I need to start line tests ranging from 5% on up in 5% increments. I wish it were easier and quicker. ? 

I don't generally cure beeswax like soy candles. pillars I burn a couple of days after making. I would do the same containers. Beeswax hardens a lot over time, changing the burn qualities, but I have not found it to be as predictable as soy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
On 18/05/2017 at 12:48 PM, TallTayl said:

The amount of Palm  kernel depends on the lot of beeswax itself. Some lots I get are very hard to burn. I have gone as high as 50% in my container tests. Sometimes I can use fully refined white beeswax to also help improve the burn.

The lot of beeswax i have now is very easy to burn, so I need to start line tests ranging from 5% on up in 5% increments. I wish it were easier and quicker. ? 

I don't generally cure beeswax like soy candles. pillars I burn a couple of days after making. I would do the same containers. Beeswax hardens a lot over time, changing the burn qualities, but I have not found it to be as predictable as soy. 

It's been ages since I  attempted at making any candles 😣 You mentioned that white beeswax helps with the burn when added to yellow beeswax on it's own, or did you mean adding palm kernel oil with yellow and white beeswax? Does the added refined white beeswax allow you to wick down in the candle tin? Have you found a blend that you are happy with? 😊

From my previous testing I needed to use large wicks which burned well but made it way unsafe.

So I need to test again with perhaps white refined beeswax or try using yellow beeswax with palm kernel oil.

I've also tried adding coconut oil which helped my scented yellow beeswax tin burn well, however the melt pool was to deep and the candle burned way too fast  (I'm assuming it's because of the coconut oil being way too soft, is the palm kernel oil harder?

What do you guys think?

Sorry for all the questions, I still ❤ beeswax but it doesn't like me

What do you guys think and thanks

Palm kernel, I find, causes the beeswax to crack predictably directly across the center along the wick line when it cools. Even if no line before lighting, following a burn the crack appears.

in tin containers, I’m still not happy with beeswax. Tins are especially difficult because they are wider than deep. Beeswax burns down then out. I need a very large wick, which makes the flames ridiculous. Double wicking has not solved it for me either. I was fairly successful with deep ceramic containers.

The only beeswax blend I liked in tins was 50:50 4786 container paraffin and yellow beeswax. It burned OK until it aged, and got too hard. All of the beeswax blends in tins rattle around soon after cooling, because the beeswax shrinks a lot.

• Thanks 2

Thank you TallTayl :)

So I found a place that stocks the Palm kernel oil (ordered it today) and they told me that it is harder than beeswax. So if the palm kernel is harder than beeswax, I am wondering how it can  bring the melt point down to provide a better burn / WICK down?

Do you find a difference between white and yellow beeswax in terms of performance etc?

I didn't know that beeswax gets hard over time

Thank you very much, you are incredibly helpful

Palm kernel, I find, causes the beeswax to crack predictably directly across the center along the wick line when it cools. Even if no line before lighting, following a burn the crack appears.

in tin containers, I’m still not happy with beeswax. Tins are especially difficult because they are wider than deep. Beeswax burns down then out. I need a very large wick, which makes the flames ridiculous. Double wicking has not solved it for me either. I was fairly successful with deep ceramic containers.

The only beeswax blend I liked in tins was 50:50 4786 container paraffin and yellow beeswax. It burned OK until it aged, and got too hard. All of the beeswax blends in tins rattle around soon after cooling, because the beeswax shrinks a lot.

Thank you TallTayl :)

So I found a place that stocks the Palm kernel oil (ordered it today) and they told me that it is harder than beeswax. So if the palm kernel is harder than beeswax, I am wondering how it can  bring the melt point down to provide a better burn / WICK down?

Do you find a difference between white and yellow beeswax in terms of performance etc?

I didn't know that beeswax gets hard over time

Thank you very much, you are incredibly helpful

Edited by Greenjelly
Not quoting

Palm kernel oil has a meltbpiint of around 101 degrees F.  Yellow Beeswax melts at about 145 or so. White beeswax slightly less. 

White beeswax takes at least 1 wick size smaller that yellow. 

Like me I said palm kernel will crack So not sure how happy you’ll be with that. Looking at a oil 76 the traditional kind hasn’t done that as much as palm kernel. 

• Thanks 2

Many thanks again TallTayl :)

I've ordered (well I thought I'd ordered white beeswax pellets, however it turns out the beeswax I ordered was bleached by the sun which was more of a lemony yellow colour compared to my other buff colored pellets) don't know how much of a difference that would make in terms of being able to wick down as it's not the ultra white refined like I thought it was :(

It's worth a try with the palm kernel, anything that would bring down the melt point (apart from coconut oil)

Sorry, what oil is 76?

I've also read about these wicks called Ultra core wicks by a company called Fil Tec, but couldn't find any helpful info on the internet and only one or 2 results using the search engine here in the forum. Have you previously used these wicks at all as you are an expert! I wonder how different they are to the CDN wicks..Hmmmm

76 is the coconut oil with a 7 degree melt point. 

Never heard about ultra core wicks, sorry. 

Your sun bleached will likely not burn as easily as refined white, but it will be better than deep yellow. 

Every day Day is an adventure, isn’t it?

Beeswax can be fragranced, I would recommend avoiding bakery/food type smells though as I've never had good results with them in beeswax. Other fragrance types like florals tend to do well. It always takes testing though since the beeswax usually has it's own natural, earthy smell. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/17/2017 at 1:29 PM, Greenjelly said:

Thank you so much for the help you guys! I guess it's time to experiment ?

Palm kernel oil, what effect does that have on beeswax? 

I've just googled the difference between palm oil and palm kernel

On 2/27/2018 at 11:14 PM, Greenjelly said:

Edited by Greenjelly