Viewer discretion is advised

Sponiebr

WARNING! The following images are confusing and contain viscerally disturbing images of soap. Viewer discretion is advised.

So, here's 70+ ounces of my black raspberry ITP swirl poured into my new column mold with newly created vinyl place mat from the Dollar Tree. The shinier of the 2 sides was the side the design was on so I put that to the inside of my soap. Apparently, lye eats away vinyl silkscreen paint and it transfers remarkably well directly to the soap. <_< The first picture is of the end of the soap still in the form and the second picture is the actual loaf laying horizontally on top of the place mat that served as the liner for the loaf. It's not actually a reflection of anything, the design is actually physically ON the soap. You can see the delicate swirls in the middle of the photo... (It scrubbed off with a scotch bright pad and some 91% rubbing alcohol. Stained the shit out of the whites of the soap and turned everything rather grey. Ya know, I really expect at LEAST SOME of these bad ideas to fail and produce wonderful results...

Cheers, 

Sponiebr: Hey, MURPHY! KNOCK IT THE HELL OFF ALREADY...   

20170214_201844.jpg20170215_010824.jpg20170215_010839.jpg

Edited by Sponiebr
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, PhoenixFyre said:

They came out fantastic! Any of the vinyl print left behind or were you able to get it all off?

I scrubbed all of that "ink" off with a scotchbrite pad and some 91% rubbing alcohol. Interesting thing about that "ink". I took the remaining place mats back to my dad's machine shop and proceeded to put a variety of the most evil solvents I could find on them to try and get the ink to wipe off. I tried Toluene, MEK, Acetone, Lacquer Thinner, Xylene, and Naphtha. Get this: NONE of them was particularly effective at stripping the ink off. Toluene performed the best out of all of them, but even that was a VERY poor performance. Lye takes it off though... I asked dad about that, and he thinks I should use a concentrated TSP solution becuase he thinks that the design is probably a vegetable oil based ink, most likely a soy based ink.

So I'll let y'know what happens tonight! 

Thanks for the complement's y'all! They DID turn out really pretty... 

• Like 1

Update: Not even the lye solution is working well... Actually, if I add anything else to the process of cleaning/treating the placemats it won't be a "cheaper" source of plastic liners. :((

(seriously, what the hell is this stuff? It's gotta be pretty bad ass to withstand a Sponie attack, so I've gotta say I'm impressed.)  

Well... It put up a good fight. I must admit, I was contemplating upping my game, but the plastic succumbed... Honestly, I think I scared it into submission 'cause I was just going to keep upping the game until one or both of us was obliterated. (I mentioned a supercrit bath, and it went to a whiter shade of pale.) ;) The black just scoured right off into a grey swirl down the gurgler. It took a pretty strong lye solution and soaking for about 6 hours (room temp) to get the ink loose enough to scrub off. I think some Dollar Tree foaming oven cleaner and the mats wrapped up and left to marinate for a couple of days would have done much the same thing. I was getting tired of messing with it, but the next thing on my list was chlorine bleach, and I would have probably tried soaking it in full strength clear ammonia. (obviously not without rinsing first.) I was going to give up after that. I *might* have tried some of the truly nasty solvents on it just to see what it took, (ethyl acetate, chloroform, benzine, hexane, hell- I would've soaked it in hydrazine if I had some. ) SOMETHING was gonna do it! They HAD to get it on there somehow, and it had become my new life's mission to GET IT back OFF!!!    }:{(  (huffs and puffs with frustrated rage) 

Anywho, turned out is was just plain old lye that was the kicker. :( (I wanted a reason to bring out the nasties...)  

(Oh, I tried DMSO too... nuth'n immediate) 

Sponiebr: The Executor of BAD Ideas and Sundry Services. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/16/2017 at 8:00 PM, Sponiebr said:

Update: Not even the lye solution is working well... Actually, if I add anything else to the process of cleaning/treating the placemats it won't be a "cheaper" source of plastic liners. :((

(seriously, what the hell is this stuff? It's gotta be pretty bad ass to withstand a Sponie attack, so I've gotta say I'm impressed.)  

I think Walmart has like a set of three flexible plastic mats that perhaps your could shape into a liner and not leave anything on the soap. 

• Like 1

Would it have been possible to put the inked side away from the soap? Very pretty soap by the way. :)

I've purchased at our Ross discount stores plastic kitchen cutting mats for slicing veggies, etc. They came 4 to a package, and were about one dollar each. But they are not always available.

For some craftsy uses, I've sliced up used tennis ball 'cans' to make clear cylinders that things don't stick to.. But those would probably be too small both in diameter and length for your needs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Incendia said:

Would it have been possible to put the inked side away from the soap?  BLASPHEMY!!!!! I am SPONIE THE Executor of BAD IDEAS(and Sundryo.O  services LLC. Offer not available in some areas. Some restrictions may apply.  See your local distributor for full details.) Your suggestion would have been a GOOD idea... Not really my thing... 

Very pretty soap by the way. :) Oh! Thank you! :)

8 hours ago, Scented said:

look for flexible mat cutting boards.

Yep, that's what I originally went out to buy, and I ended up with a placemat... Which MAY or may NOT have been an accident.... "I'llllll neeeeever te-eeeelllll...." 

o.O