Fire Starters

ehatch1

On 11/29/2017 at 12:38 AM, moonshine said:

I found these cute cupcake liners at the grocery store today that go perfect with my brand 

here is a pic - bad lighting but I was in my cave all night doing these 

Pinecones came from my trees and the white pine branches from a tree we cut down...

IMG_7529.JPG

Really neat, great job.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Hi Laura,

It is bedding like you see in a store like for hampsters, but the shavings are used to line the stalls for horses.....

Trappeur

1706163815_horseshavings.jpg.b6388c3ff630293f7e2a9b1678cf244a.jpg

Shew, that's good to know.  I had some disturbing thoughts about what it could be. LOL! 😱 

Beautiful horse by the way. 🐎

Edited by Laura C

• 1 month later...
On 2/10/2017 at 10:17 AM, Trappeur said:

You sure can.....but not a gas fireplace.  The wax all dissapates.

Trappeur

For all you fire starter makers/sellers, I guess it goes without saying that you include safety instructions with them? Besides avoiding a gas fireplace, are there any other safety concerns? Or Do's and Don'ts? 

On 11/18/2018 at 1:03 PM, Laura C said:

For all you fire starter makers/sellers, I guess it goes without saying that you include safety instructions with them? Besides avoiding a gas fireplace, are there any other safety concerns? Or Do's and Don'ts? 

This is my label.  I'm sure I copied from somewhere.image.png.2e4172f00d210695e26d2d3d4986f1e4.png

GoldieMN

• Thanks 2

Well ok, you all inspired me with all this talk about fire starters, LOL. I made some last night, for the very first time ever! ☺️

They were so fun and easy to make I plan on making more today. And, I did learn a few things.

- Per tips on here I used double muffin cups and I bought a bag of hamster bed pine shavings.

- I really like using the pine cones in them, unfortunately I didn't have many small ones and I want to dip my big ones in wax just by themselves.

- Since I don't live near the woods, I like using bags of potpourri for twigs, nut shells, etc.

- For scent and wax, I recycled some of my old test candles. But, something I didn't notice or think about was that a lot of my test candles were apparently soft waxes. Not quite 24 hours later, most of my fire starters are somewhat soft, not rock hard.

- I used old wick pieces and/or wicks I don't like.

- Next time I'll do a pressure test on the tops of my old candles to see if they are soft and add some hardener or paraffin if needed.

- Some supplies I already had on-hand. Dollar Tree is Awesome for buying supplies, aside from the pine shavings, I bought everything I needed there.

Here's my Rustic Christmas Fire Starters

Craft Server fire starter 02.27_01.JPG

Craft Server fire starter 10.39_01.JPG

Craft Server fire starter 57.39.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, GoldieMN said:

This is my label.  I'm sure I copied from somewhere.image.png.2e4172f00d210695e26d2d3d4986f1e4.png

GoldieMN

Awesome @GoldieMN. That would be easy for me to do something similar, I just wasn't sure what key points needed to be addressed for fire starters. Thanks for the info.

Totally awesome Laura!   Love them and those cute papers too....I use things out of potpourri bags too.

I wouldn't worry about adding any hardener  in the wax.   They are going right into the fire....Waste of $$$$$.....

Great job!

Trappeur

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Totally awesome Laura!   Love them and those cute papers too....I use things out of potpourri bags too.

I wouldn't worry about adding any hardener  in the wax.   They are going right into the fire....Waste of $$$$$.....

Great job!

Trappeur

Awh, thanks @Trappeur. I loved making them. If I can pull myself away from my laptop and stop reading posts on here, LOL, I'm going to go make some more now.  I see what you are saying about the hardener being a waste if I was giving them away or selling them locally. But I would like to sell them and send them to family and friends so I'm concerned about shipping a semi-soft product.

1 hour ago, GoldieMN said:

@Laura C Those are really cute!  I had to take the grandkiddos to the park to gather tiny pinecones off the trees.  I need to gather throughout the year. :)

GoldieMN

That's fun with the grand-kids, unfortunately mine live in another state. When my grand-kids are in town we collect sea shells. LOL 🐚

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sarah S said:

@Laura C, they are beautiful!! I'm sure they will be a big hit!

Thanks @Sarah S, hope you had a nice Thanksgiving. It was so much fun making them and as I said it was my first time. I know I got totally carried away decorating them since they are fire starters and will get burned up, but I just went with it. LOL.

• Like 1

OMG! My husband and I almost lost it, we almost threw up. :frown2: LOL. We had to open up all the windows and put the stinky wax out on the patio, covered up. I was making more fire starters tonight from recycled candles and the wax mix smelled terrible. It was a mistake to mix about 8 or so different scents together, so gross. I'm not going to do that again. When I made fire starters a few days ago I melted down candles individually and poured them instead of mixing them all up and that was better, slower but better smelling. Geez. 

• 3 months later...

Just happened to come across this thread when searching for something else. My coworker and I were talking about my clamshells today and then mentioned that he has used a few firestarters when he goes camping. That was the first I’ve heard of them and then saw this thread by accident. I’m definitely going to try this in the next couple days!!! Take my dog to the park and go looking for some stuff and will be careful to make sure I don’t put them in the “wrong bag” lol. 

Michelle

Edited by Ak Wolf
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, SueH said:

You all make some beautiful firestarters! Mine are ugly but they work. Dryer lint and pieces of dryer sheets and stick several wick clippings around in them.

Thank you. I got a little carried away with mine. It was my first time making them and I was all excited to see what I could do. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here are the first ones I made and I still make them like this. Some of the wax is colored at times from other projects and sometimes it's just for old melts ( I don't add dye to those ) 

I save up as much wax as possible each year but I can never save enough to meet the demands of my friends who want them !! 

All I use is organic cedar shavings and wax. No wick, nothing. Just light the edge of a sliver of cedar and  get back, because in about 4 minutes the large ones can get a flame up to almost a foot tall ! ( BTW that is my son's fireplace with all the ashes inside , I about spanked his grown butt for that one ! ) 15672677_10154782031050979_397889617770169721_n.jpg.d63a82b3cdae1e009e31c397b83bb1b9.jpg

15621964_10154782031090979_5536383285003530439_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1