Fire Starters

ehatch1

I have asked this before but don't remember 

how exactly do you make these?

I have dozens upon dozens of tester candles I don't like and need to chunk out the wax to pour more in the containers 

if I melt all this wax together rather than throw it out - what do I do....pour it over a bunch of like pinecones and twigs or like horse bedding and how do you start these and do they really start a fire rather than needing the diesel fuel 😂

We are bringing home our huge cauldron fire pot tomorrow and want to try this concept out 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, moonshine said:

I have asked this before but don't remember 

how exactly do you make these?

I have dozens upon dozens of tester candles I don't like and need to chunk out the wax to pour more in the containers 

if I melt all this wax together rather than throw it out - what do I do....pour it over a bunch of like pinecones and twigs or like horse bedding and how do you start these and do they really start a fire rather than needing the diesel fuel 😂

We are bringing home our huge cauldron fire pot tomorrow and want to try this concept out 

I line cupcake tins with cupcake paper liners, fill the paper liners with animal bedding (Walmart, under $3), add a leftover piece of wick maybe 2.5-3", pour melted wax over the bedding and wick to the top of the liner, then add pine cones, twigs, etc.  @Trappeur finds all kinds of things in the woods to add.  I buy colorful Dollar Tree bags of potpourri to add pretty colors to my fire starters but add those pieces after the wax has cooled a bit as the color (like the red pieces of potpourri) turns the wax pink if wax is still hot.  I package them with cupcake liner and all in small clear cello bags and add a label about burning them.  One thing I find easier for me because I'm messy pouring my wax is to use two cupcake liners so they come out of my cupcake tins easier.  Mine last approximately 15 minutes.

GoldieMN

animal bedding.JPG

• Like 1

I just rip up my paper towel I use to clean my pour pots, use old wax, and some wicking from when I clip the wicks off of my container candles, pour the wax over the the towel in a prepared paper cupcake cup, add wicks, and viola- instant fire-starter. 

They aren't pretty and not works of art like Trapps are, but they get the job done.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've used saved dryer lint as the base in the bottom of the cupcake liners, then a tiny bit of cheap potpourri purchased from a dollar store to hide the dryer lint.  To accent that, I take pliers and break up some cinnamon sticks and poke bits in there.  Then pour melted, scented wax on all that and stick in a couple of scrap wick bits.

• Haha 1

Moonshine I'm probably too late to this conversation....but this is what I do.

1.  Fill up the muffin tin, or rubber mold or cupcake liners with your horse shavings.

2.  Sit an upright pinecone on top of the shavings or you could push in a bit.

3.  After you have melted all your wax together, now pour the wax into your shavings.

4.  Start adding your bits and pieces of twigs and what nots into the mixture you have just poured.

5.  Don't forget to add scrap wick inserted into the mixture and I make sure the wick goes to the bottom of the muffin.

Trappeur

• Like 1

Darbla, 

I have never just lit the paper as I stick scraps of wick ends that I have thousands of as to me to keep the fire going I've always thought you need the wick.  But then I see others don't use a wick and just light the paper.  So I suppose that works also?.....

Now as far as adding extra oil, I don't.  I make these things and sell to shops and I have all the oil enough leftover from making candles so that suffices that.  And besides your just throwing them in the firplace or woodstove to start a fire, so why waste precious oil for something that is not going to last long?  Believe me, you can smell the made firestarters without extra oil.  And if you do decide to add extra, that is not going to hurt anything so if you feel  you want extra, go ahead.

Trappeur

Well I decided with my 100 jars and tins that needing scrapping from unsuccessful new blends to make fire starters for the first time ever....how fun!!

I found these cute cupcake liners at the grocery store today that go perfect with my brand 

here is a pic - bad lighting but I was in my cave all night doing these 

Pinecones came from my trees and the white pine branches from a tree we cut down...I hope they burn are not too green, never tried this before so I did 2 wicks also just in case 😂

IMG_7528.JPG

IMG_7529.JPG

• Like 3

6 hours ago, moonshine said:

Well I decided with my 100 jars and tins that needing scrapping from unsuccessful new blends to make fire starters for the first time ever....how fun!!

I found these cute cupcake liners at the grocery store today that go perfect with my brand 

here is a pic - bad lighting but I was in my cave all night doing these 

Pinecones came from my trees and the white pine branches from a tree we cut down...I hope they burn are not too green, never tried this before so I did 2 wicks also just in case 😂

IMG_7528.JPG

IMG_7529.JPG

• Like 2

@moonshine those are beautiful! Country and classy all at once!

@Darbla, I do not add fragrance to mine, I use my "used up" tart wax and and leftover tester wax, and they smell pretty good. I keep similar fragrances together. I'm with Trapp, why waste the FO?

However, I will say that mine are fugly compared to everyone else's, and I either give them away or sell them dirt cheap because of that! 😂

The only problem I had with selling firestarters when I used to sell them in the paper cups was that the firestarter eventually lifted right out of the paper and the papers would all become ragged looking so it got too messy.  The shops usually have them displayed in a basket where the customer can pick out the one they want.    I now deliver them in a huge huge glass container with a lid without any cupcake liners and they are usually sitting on the front counter of the shop where the salesperson can lift out the firestarter and bag up for the customers.

Trappeur

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

You guys make me want to fancy mine up. LOL Maybe I'll do a few fancy ones I can use as centerpieces in the camp trailer until they are needed, then use for the intended purpose. ... 

There you go!   Why not?   I had more customers say they just couldn't burn them as they were just too pretty to go into a fireplace so they would buy them just for a centerpiece exactly as you said...and they smell so nice too just sitting there.

Trappeur

• 1 month later...

I ended up making 3 different kinds of fire starters this season:

1. Pretty, decorative ones using new wax ( leftover from my testing adventures this fall)  and wintery/Chistmas scents. I placed these in Christmas tins for a gift set, $10 for 3 firestarters in a tin from the Dollar Tree. They sold well, especially to co-workers and friends who needed co-worker/neighbor/postman type gifts. 

2. Semi Pretty ones using leftover undyed wax (from testing adventures and excess wax) with existing FO, that I then added Fireside FO to give it a smoky winter scent.  The FO was one that I tried and decided not to use in candles, so using for these simply prevented waste.  These were sold loose at  $1.50 each or 10 for $10. These also did well at the small show I brought them to. 

3.  Ugly firestarters - random colors, FO, no pretty pine cones or decorative stuff added.  I made these in smaller paper condiment cups ( the kind you get ketchup in at a burger joint). I used these for myself, but I think I will package in a sleeve maybe 10 for $5 and advertise as bonfire/camping starters.  

Would love to hear if anyone had success with fire starters, and what kind of wax leftovers you used.  I am now saving all of my excess wax, pouring into molds  and keeping in big rubbermaid containers for next season's starters.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Velma said:

Would love to hear if anyone had success with fire starters, and what kind of wax leftovers you used.  I am now saving all of my excess wax, pouring into molds  and keeping in big rubbermaid containers for next season's starters.  

I made them in two sizes:  Dollar Store (smaller than regular size) and regular size found at grocery store.  Packaged them 3/$1.50 and 2/$1.50 respectively.  I really struggled with pricing; wasn't sure if I could sell them for more.  All the smaller ones sold.  Used old test wax and added the dried, colorful potpourri from Dollar Store and small pine cones but want to glam them up even more like others have done.

GoldieMN

• 5 months later...
7 hours ago, Jenni Wix said:

Think I've found a use for the crunchy batch of 444 I've got to use up.  😌  My pinecone obsession continues.  😄

Doh! I feel ou on the 444! It is an inconsistent bugger to work with. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 7/27/2017 at 8:10 PM, Trappeur said:

They are fun to make and I do tons of them and sell them.  I use horse shavings and pour wax over the shavings and then from found in the forest here I put in twigs, birchbark, moss, pinecones, acorns, bark fallen of dead trees and whatever else I can find in the woods.  

You can add potpourri to for being more fancy.

Here are a few pictures.

Trappeur

CIMG1995.JPG

I like the rustic, outdoors look of your fire starters. I have to ask, what are "horse shaving"? 😱  Or maybe I shouldn't ask. LOL

On 8/25/2017 at 10:11 AM, Jcandleattic said:

My husband and I are going camping next week so I'll be making some of these up this weekend. I can't wait. I haven't had a PAID vacation in over 3 years, and with this new job I have so much vacation time, I might not even be able to use it all in a year. LOL 

Congrats on your new job and vacation time, that's exciting. 🎉

• Thanks 1

On 10/25/2017 at 10:50 PM, Gary in Canada said:

If I don't have any wood shavings...I just shred up all my old letters and threats from the CRA (Canadian equivalent of the IRS), put those in the containers and burn them...gives me a great sense of satisfaction!! LOL..

Yes, fire starters are a great use of junk mail. LOL