Fire Starters

ehatch1

Hi all!

I have been making fire starters for myself and would like to add them to my shop.  Currently I use leftover wax from candle pours, meaning it's scented.  

Has anyone had issues selling fire starters with multiple fragrances mixed together?  Not sure how buyers would feel about that, particularly if they dislike certain scents (although I find it silly when it's just going to burn up, but hey, whatever).

Should I just toss the leftover wax and use fresh, unscented wax for the fire starters?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Firestarters 1.jpg

• Like 2

To me the whole point of making fire starters is using leftover wax.  In fact I use the old wax from my melters and any leftovers from candles.  I also use the leftover paper towels that have wiped out my pour pots, just tear em up and pour the wax over it.  That's a lot of different scents mixed together.  Not one customer has ever complained, and they really like that it is made from 100% recycled.

Edited:  they don't look as pretty as yours tho :)

Edited by franu61
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

Yes and yes to to above answers. I agree, thats the whole point to me anyhow. Just add it description /label : recycled soy candle wax :) 

I believe you use soy , right ???

Yes, I do use soy.  Part of the reason I love doing them is that I no longer waste any wax, so it's good to hear consumers won't mind the fragrances!  Woohoo!

• Like 1

I sell tons and tons of firestarters.  And by all means use your left over wax.  I have never had 1 customer not like them.

I mix up all the scents too.  Usually what I do is all the bakery and sweet smelling left over fragrances get thrown in 1 pot, then the outdoorsy scents like pines go in another pot, and the clean/spaish type scents go in another pot.     Great job!

Trappeur

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ehatch1 said:

I have yet to see a fire starter that isn't adorable 

LOL You haven't seen mine. But I only use mine for personal use when we are out camping. I don't take pics of them for 2 reasons, 1 they are FUGLY, and 2 they are just for me, so no need for anyone to see them. LOL 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, GoldieMN said:

If you make them as pictured in first post, can those be put in an indoor fireplace or is there too much wax for that?

Goldie

You sure can.....but not a gas fireplace.  The wax all dissapates.

Trappeur

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jcandleattic said:

LOL You haven't seen mine. But I only use mine for personal use when we are out camping. I don't take pics of them for 2 reasons, 1 they are FUGLY, and 2 they are just for me, so no need for anyone to see them. LOL 

Haha this cracks me up, too funny.  :lol:

@GoldieMN Those were the first ones I ever made, and I did fill them up a bit too much... I probably take them down about another 1/8-1/4" so they are still pretty full, just not to the rim.  They burn fine in our log fireplace; all the wax burns right up.  My husband laughed at me the first time he saw them because he thought fire starters were a silly idea... now they are his favorite thing that I make!  He is sad he can't use all of them, since I'm saving them to sell.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Call me crazy, but what in the world are these fire starters? From their title I can gather that they uhh..start a fire maybe? Other than that I have never even heard of such a thing as described here. What exactly is the fuel that is making these a source of starting such good fires that as Trap says, "I sell tons and tons of firestarters?"

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Clear Black said:

Call me crazy, but what in the world are these fire starters? From their title I can gather that they uhh..start a fire maybe? Other than that I have never even heard of such a thing as described here. What exactly is the fuel that is making these a source of starting such good fires that as Trap says, "I sell tons and tons of firestarters?"

The best part of fire starters is all of the little flammable bits you put in them - so, pinecones, shredded paper, sawdust, etc.  When you light the wick, or paper liners as mine have, the flammable stuff catches which in turn melts the wax, which is vaporized and catches fire.  Basically a long-lasting little fireball.  If you stick one in with the kindling in your fireplace, it keeps lit long enough to catch the bigger logs. :)

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ehatch1 said:

The best part of fire starters is all of the little flammable bits you put in them - so, pinecones, shredded paper, sawdust, etc.  When you light the wick, or paper liners as mine have, the flammable stuff catches which in turn melts the wax, which is vaporized and catches fire.  Basically a long-lasting little fireball.  If you stick one in with the kindling in your fireplace, it keeps lit long enough to catch the bigger logs. :)

Oh I gotcha. Now when you say wick, to me as a candle maker, I naturally assume you are wicking them like a candle lol. If I were to use just sawdust and leftover soy wax, would I need to add an initial ignition point like a wick or could I essentially just light the sucker wherever I please? 

Thanks.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Clear Black said:

Oh I gotcha. Now when you say wick, to me as a candle maker, I naturally assume you are wicking them like a candle lol. If I were to use just sawdust and leftover soy wax, would I need to add an initial ignition point like a wick or could I essentially just light the sucker wherever I please? 

Thanks.

I still add wicking in mine but not without  a tab. Whenever I trim my wicks I usually have about 3" I'm 

triming after my first pour . 

• 4 months later...