Presto Kitchen Kettle vs double broiling on stove

Hi Everyone!

After doing some digging on craft server, I found a lot of people are using Presto Kitchen Kettles in (I think) lieu of using a pot w/ water on the stove with a large pouring pot as a double broiler method.

Currently, I am using a large pot on my electric stove with about 2 inches of water and then placing my wax in a pour pot to melt and mixing my oils directly in the pour pot. So what are the benefits of the presto tool? Better temp regulation?

Thanks!

I used a double boiler for about a month. I hated it! Too hard to keep temperature up and I was always worried that I would get water in my wax. If you are pouring much volume at all, a double boiler takes so much time! I started with a stainless Presto which holds about 8 pounds and now have 2, 40 pound melters. I know some do it fine, but I just cannot imagine running even a part-time business without a melting pot of some sort!

• Like 1

Tried double boiler exactly once. Nope, too much steam and potential to wreck wax when that close to water. Plus, ever see what happens when wax catches fire and water is introduced to it? 

Presto pots are fast, saf"er" * and reliable. I have 6 in addition to a 50lb water jacket melter. They are just plain handy. One is dedicated to just lip balm. One for soaping ils. Others for different waxes on demand. 

* Saf"er", because so long as you understand the control dial you can easily melt and keep wax to temp without burning the wax. The presto pot cycles on and off as it heats, unlike a typical burner. If cranked up too high the presto, of course, can overheat your wax up to flash point. Use good sense no matter which heat source you choose. 

• Like 1

I used to do the pots and rotate like 10 of them around when pouring massively. But where I save the most now is using the presto. It cuts the electric bill down and I can keep 10ish pounds of wax melted in it and it takes up way less space than 10 pour pots. 

• Like 1

I just started using a modified presto pot with the spout built in.  I find that it makes life so much easier than doing my candle making over the kitchen stove (my husband appreciates this as well, as now my candle supplies never leave my craft room).  I just heat my wax in the pot, pour using the spigot into a pyrex measuring cup, and add the FO to the measuring cup, so my presto pot only ever sees unscented wax.  Super easy and the spigot hasn't clogged yet.  Thumbs up.

The only real difficulties for me are: 

1) With small batches (don't need to heat an entire pot of wax for just a couple of candles) and

2) Pouring the hot wax into the measuring cup, then weighing it, then adding FO before it cools too quickly.  Before, I weighed my wax prior to melting; once it was hot, all I did was add my fragrance and stir.  No worries about cooling before I could get the FO in.  This will probably just take some getting used to, though.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2017 at 0:07 PM, TallTayl said:

I just pour directly from the kettle into the pour pots or label if there's only a tiny amount I need. 

They seem so big though? But maybe it's because I'm just looking at photos online I can't really tell the scale of them. 

@ehatch1 Did you modify it yourself? Or purchase it modified with the spout? 

Sorry for all the questions - I'm just really freaked out about double boiling now (husband is too) but want to get some new scents poured and tested :) 

• Like 1

I wouldn't be scared of double boiling - As long as you keep tabs on your wax temperature and aren't slinging water everywhere, you'll be fine.  I've been using a double boiler the past couple of years with no trouble.  

And I purchased my presto pot already modified here: 

https://www.etsy.com/shop/AmericanChandler  :)  There may or may not be better deals other places online, but I'm happy with my purchase.

• Like 1