January 2017 SOTM

Jcandleattic

That looks about right, now I would just keep it on warm for about 2 hours and check it again. The color can vary greatly depending on the oils used. It looks fine to me. When stick blending, is that when you got all those bubbles? If so that's the stage it should be at and then just let it sit to become paste. You can either heat the glycerin more slowly, or you can add the KOH a little at a time and that will help also. 

Phew! I feel better now. Yes the SB produced all those bubbles. I just finished SB in the oils into the batter again and this time the batter was thick and creamy. I don't think the oils will seperate out again but will keep an eye on them. It's been cooking now for about 1/2 hour.

*DISCLAIMER: Please see the instructions post note: I forgot that if you are cooking cooking cooking for several hours and test several times, and it is STILL coming out pink, you can turn it off, let it sit overnight to 12 hours, to become paste, then test again. At that time it should test clear. 

I apologize. I thought these were in the original instructions, but they are not. 

Okay here is my very first attempt at making liquid soap. I way overcooked the KOH glycerin solution.. DOH!... and then proceeded to way overcook the soap. DOH!!

So I think that's why I got such thick amber paste. I also ended up with amber colored soap. But I am okay with that because I am a proud mom of my very first batch of soap!

Here is the paste I got the next day. It was so thick it was like dried out old gummy bear thick. I almost needed a chisel to pry out. Seriously I am not joking!!

soap paste.jpg

Here is the dilution part. I only took out 8oz of paste and used 16oz of water to dilute. It took about 30 minutes at a slow boil to dissolve the hard paste. I even tried a little SL and a few alcohol spritzes too. Eventually it did all dissolve but apparently some of the water evaporated.

soap dilution.jpg

Here is the finished soap. I did add some Peak's Fruit Slices to it just so I would have a nice scented soap to use. I ended up with 16.5oz of soap so I know some water evaporated but that's okay. I think I learned a lot of what not to do next time and am already looking forward to my next batch! Will be trying out the soap as soon as it cools enough to wash my hands with it. Will post pics of the lather if I can.

I was going to color it pink but decided it best not to try any color as it was already a golden amber. LOL I am excited that it is already clear without any sequestering! ISN'T IT BEAUTIFUL!!!:yay:

liquid soap jar.jpg

Edited by Candybee

I've never sequestered my GLS to get it clear, it just always is. Also, as with bar soap, liquid soap benefits from a cure time as well. Try it again in a week and I bet you will feel an improvement. :)

Looks GREAT. Thanks for sharing pics

• Like 1

So does liquid soap need some time to cure? and should I cure it as paste before I dilute or will diluting right away make any difference? and will curing it make it more sudsy? I was sort of disappointed with my low suds on this batch. But then I diluted and used the very next day after the cook. Maybe this is why it dries my hands out when I wash with it. Will it also get more mild?

Edited by Candybee

49 minutes ago, Candybee said:

So does liquid soap need some time to cure? and should I cure it as paste before I dilute or will diluting right away make any difference? and will curing it make it more sudsy? I was sort of disappointed with my low suds on this batch. But then I diluted and used the very next day after the cook. Maybe this is why it dries my hands out when I wash with it. Will it also get more mild?

It doesn't "need" cure time, (think of it like HP soap) but as with bar soaps it will benefit greatly with a short cure. Not sure it will get more sudsy, but it will for sure get more mild. The glycerin in this method does inhibit lather more so than the water method, but I HATE the water method. I always try to let me diluted liquid soap sit for about 5 days before using it. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Candybee said:

Also, how much water do you tend to use, a 1:1 ratio (paste to water), or 1:2? If I diluted my soap too much can I cook it down until its the thickness I want?

It depends on the oils used. This is why I only dilute about 1oz at a time, so I can get the ratio;s to where I want them before doing a big batch. 

I think you can heat it to cook some of the water down, but i've never done that so not sure what the results would be. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Candybee said:

That helps.

Have you ever tried using aloe vera juice for your liquid? Or do soapers typically use an aloe gel or other form of it it they want aloe in their liquid soap.

Uh, IDK. LOL I've never used it in my liquid soaps, just my lotions and bar soaps. 

I know a few liquid soapers that use goats milk for their liquid soap, so I don't see why aloe wouldn't work. 

• Like 1

Sorry about all the questions. I think at this point I just need to jump in and try out what I want to find what works and what doesn't. I'm thinking my next batch will be a simpler recipe.... as in getting down to basics so I understand how the oils work together better.

3 minutes ago, Candybee said:

Sorry about all the questions. I think at this point I just need to jump in and try out what I want to find what works and what doesn't. I'm thinking my next batch will be a simpler recipe.... as in getting down to basics so I understand how the oils work together better.

Don't be sorry. I just don't know that much about different ingredients... I just know what I've done, which is what was in the tut... LOL I don't venture out much once I find something that works for me. 

• Like 1

I always do. Once I get a recipe I like tweaked to as good as I can get it then I get bored with it and want to try something else. I am planning to learn to make dog shampoo, hand soap, liquid detergent, people shampoo, and castile. I got a lot on my agenda. LOL

8 minutes ago, Candybee said:

I always do. Once I get a recipe I like tweaked to as good as I can get it then I get bored with it and want to try something else. I am planning to learn to make dog shampoo, hand soap, liquid detergent, people shampoo, and castile. I got a lot on my agenda. LOL

I think that might be because you do this for a living. I do it for fun. (for the most part)

My experimentation is mostly in scent combos and color combos. I mix mix mix a lot of things that probably shouldn't be mixed but don't care. That's my fun, and creative outlet. 

• Like 1