Back at it!!

KrazeKelly

It's been a nice break but it's soap making time again!! New batches of Stripper Dust, Local Yella, 50 Shades and Barbershop 1920's in the mold today. Getting the Men soaps out of the way because I have several new fragrances I want to work on next. I'm excited!! ??? well Stripper Dust can go both ways. ?

IMG_5252.JPG

IMG_5280.JPG

IMG_5282.JPG

IMG_5291.JPG

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

Beautiful as always ! What does the stripper one smell like lol ! 

CS Hazelnut Coffee ☕️ The actual beer has notes of coffee, chocolate and toffee. It smells delicious when I boil it. So that fragrance works very well with it.  ?

• Like 1

I'm not a beer drinker so I had 

no idea beer could have those 

flavors. So you can actually smell those notes in the soap all from the beer ? Amazing ? Really an intriguing name for a soap. 

Forgot to ask, which beer is it , is it sold nationwide. Would be a great gift for beer  

lovers ????

Edited by Moonstar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Moonstar said:

I'm not a beer drinker so I had 

no idea beer could have those 

flavors. So you can actually smell those notes in the soap all from the beer ? Amazing ? Really an intriguing name for a soap. 

Forgot to ask, which beer is it , is it sold nationwide. Would be a great gift for beer  

lovers ????

Thanks! No, sadly the smell of the boiling beer does not come through. You can only smell the Hazelnut Coffee FO. Stripper Dust is made by a local Brewery in Abilene Texas. They give me beer and I make them soap. It's a great way to get my name out there. I had several people at my last Craftfair tell me they got my soap from the Brewery. ? So that's pretty cool!! ?

• Like 4

(OK, @KrazeKelly you just clarified this with your last post but I was almost done, so I'm STILL posting this.) 

Da'fa? What was THAT? You actually lost me in less than 2 replies. Cool looking soaps to just like @Moonstar I also wanted to know about the strippers...
Here's where I get lost:

2 hours ago, KrazeKelly said:

CS Hazelnut Coffee ☕️ The actual beer has notes of coffee, chocolate and toffee. It smells delicious when I boil it. So that fragrance works very well with it.  ?

Strippers smell like hazelnut coffee? Ok... I'm good with that, I WANT to believe that strippers smell like hazelnut coffee.
And...
1... Lost in utter darkness... 

We start with SO many things not right: The actual beer has notes of coffee, chocolate and toffee. (What actual beer? When was beer brought up? I just wanna know about strippers.... I mean... Yeah Beer's a fun subject too... Chocolate, coffee, toffee beer? Um, Porter much?  

It smells delicious when I boil it. (STAPH!!!!!!! NOOooooooooooooooo!!!! :o Kelly. DO NOT BOIL BEER!     NO! Bad! You DRINK beer! Look-at-whatchu-did-lookitwhacutdid... BAAAHD. Boiling BEER BAD! No! Noooooooooo!!! You go sit over there and think about what you did! Baaaaahd.)   

So that fragrance works very well with it. (It? The stippers work better with beer? o.O )

Nope. I'm lost. Do over!

Cool look'n soaps Kelly! Please tell me all about the "stripper" inspired one! Local yallow?  What's in the 50 shades? Interesting...

Sponiebr "the confused mind is a wasteful terror"  

• Like 3

LOL!!!! Stripper Dust is a Vanilla Porter.

Its my husbands fav beer. He goes to the Brewery every weekend just to get a couple of growlers filled. They are only open on Saturdays. I'm sorry I boiled the beer!!! Ha!! But I must boil the beer!! ?Local Yella is a Cream Ale and its scented with WSP Bay Rum. 50 Shades is actually The Perfect Man from NG and my most popular soap ever!! I use fresh goats milk in it always. Love your ramblings! ?

• Like 2

You add goats milk to the beer as well ? I have a sample of Lebermuth Bay Rum and I just don't like it , maybe it changes when its used in soap ?

I thought it would have had a spice note to it. To me it just smells like old school mens cologne . Does the BR from WSP smell like this also ?

Have you tried their barber shop one - Im wondering if thats the same type. You really do make some beautiful soaps Kelly :) 

Edited by Moonstar
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

You add goats milk to the beer as well ? I have a sample of Lebermuth Bay Rum and I just don't like it , maybe it changes when its used in soap ?

I thought it would have had a spice note to it. To me it just smells like old school mens cologne . Does the BR from WSP smell like this also ?

Have you tried their barber shop one - I'm wondering if thats the same type. You really do make some beautiful soaps Kelly :) 

(Again.... Milk... Beer... (whimpers))

Bay Rum huh? Bay Rum is one of my just flat out all time favorite scents in this world. Specifically I'm partial to Key Lime bay rum.   So when I was beginning on this concept of FO's for making soaps, Bay Rum was an obvious choice. Somebody in another place, on another forum, began a thread asking what might be a pleasant addition to "citrus" FO's. I suggested bay oil. (Yanno... Seemed reasonable, as that's one of my favorites.) I was horrified to learn that per NOT ONE, but a quite a few soap makers, they collectively agreed that bay oil was difficult to work with as it tended to break in CP soaps, and (I can't make this up) "It smells like Old Man's Balls" while it's curing. 
(slow blink) 

images (2).jpg

Y'know what? Nope! I have nothing! I don't actually have ANY questions... I'm GOOD!!! I'm better than GOOD, I'm in fact so GOOD, I'm AWESOME GOOD, one could say I'm GAWESOM'D.... 

and I'm going to run for my life! 

I did run for my life and have lived to tell you the tale of horror. 

CHEERS! :)

Sponiebr 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Sponiebr said:

(Again.... Milk... Beer... (whimpers))

Bay Rum huh? Bay Rum is one of my just flat out all time favorite scents in this world. Specifically I'm partial to Key Lime bay rum.   So when I was beginning on this concept of FO's for making soaps, Bay Rum was an obvious choice. Somebody in another place, on another forum, began a thread asking what might be a pleasant addition to "citrus" FO's. I suggested bay oil. (Yanno... Seemed reasonable, as that's one of my favorites.) I was horrified to learn that per NOT ONE, but a quite a few soap makers, they collectively agreed that bay oil was difficult to work with as it tended to break in CP soaps, and (I can't make this up) "It smells like Old Man's Balls" while it's curing. 
(slow blink) 

images (2).jpg

Y'know what? Nope! I have nothing! I don't actually have ANY questions... I'm GOOD!!! I'm better than GOOD, I'm in fact so GOOD, I'm AWESOME GOOD, one could say I'm GAWESOM'D.... 

and I'm going to run for my life! 

I did run for my life and have lived to tell you the tale of horror. 

CHEERS! :)

Sponiebr 

Which bay rum do you use do you add lime FO or EO to it then ??? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Moonstar said:

Have you tried their barber shop one - Im wondering if thats the same type. You really do make some beautiful soaps Kelly :) 

Oh man, I suck at describing fragrances. But yes WSP BR has a spicy note to me. I have note tried their Barbershop one. I use AHRE and have forever. I really like it.  I've tried a few BR but WSP is my favorite.  But it's very expensive ? I add Goats milk powder to my beer soaps just cuz I can. ?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

honestly, you guys are so inspiring ! So, why does one have to boil the beer before making soap ? Does this apply to any alcoholic beverage ? 

Yes the more alcohol the more prone to seizing the soap is. 

I typically just put a bit of salt in my beer, to flatten it, and then freeze it. I don't boil the alcohol out, but I also don't soap with craft beers as is typical with most beer soapmakers. And craft beers typically have a higher alcohol content than do say a bud light or something similar. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

Yes the more alcohol the more prone to seizing the soap is. 

I typically just put a bit of salt in my beer, to flatten it, and then freeze it. I don't boil the alcohol out, but I also don't soap with craft beers as is typical with most beer soapmakers. And craft beers typically have a higher alcohol content than do say a bud light or something similar. 

Exactly!! These craft beers are higher in alcohol content. I've made it without boiling and it moves quicker than I like so I just started boiling them all. 

Oh oh and the 50 Shades is a fresh goats milk soap not a beer soap. ?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Moonstar said:

Which bay rum do you use do you add lime FO or EO to it then ??? 

I actually haven't made any bay rum up in an extremely LONG time. BUT... IF I were to make some up, I'd go with Save on Scent's Bay Rum with Key Lime. I like that one. http://www.saveonscents.com/product_info.php/products_id/202557

If just buying it OTC: Dominica Lime Bay Rum was always a favorite of mine. 

Apparently Dominica Lime Bay rum is unobtainium now so I will have to make my own now. (Not really a problem for me)
When I was making my own bay rum overseas I liked a base tonic of witchhazel tonic + a very strong spiced white rum and a few drops of VG to get it all mixed up and 1 drop of Bay oil or so per pint. (I found any more than that and it burned my skin badly.)  That's it. I had to shake the living crap out of my bottle before applying it, but it worked nicely. 

1 hour ago, Moonstar said:

doesn't WSP have something similar to NG Perfect man ? I'm intrigued by these 2 now. How bout Deviant from Mad oils - has anyone tried that one ???? 

Not sure about WSP but I really like NG's Perfect Man but can't justify the cost, so only bought it once. Never soaped it yet, but when I do, it's going to be in my Tuxedo and Here Comes the Bride soaps (looks like literally a tux and a formal gown soap) 

Deviant is SO NICE!! I love it! Smells delish, and soaps great!  However Mad Oils just screwed the pooch with me. They will only be offering fragrances in 16oz and 4oz sizes once every 4 months, on a "pre-buy" type deal, otherwise you have to purchase 25lbs of 1 scent at a time. They will be focusing more on colorants, and I think are even changing their name from Mad Oils, to Mad Micas... Either way, not happy about that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jcandleattic said:

Not sure about WSP but I really like NG's Perfect Man but can't justify the cost, so only bought it once. Never soaped it yet, but when I do, it's going to be in my Tuxedo and Here Comes the Bride soaps (looks like literally a tux and a formal gown soap) 

Deviant is SO NICE!! I love it! Smells delish, and soaps great!  However Mad Oils just screwed the pooch with me. They will only be offering fragrances in 16oz and 4oz sizes once every 4 months, on a "pre-buy" type deal, otherwise you have to purchase 25lbs of 1 scent at a time. They will be focusing more on colorants, and I think are even changing their name from Mad Oils, to Mad Micas... Either way, not happy about that. 

I should of bought the Deviant a few days ago when it was still available in a 8 oz bottle, now only the 16 oz remains :( I saw that too on FB, being a small company

I think they were really struggling and had to make a decision to either do that or close their doors IDK ???? I know a lot of people are not happy about it.

Im wondering though if the original formulas will either change OR increase in price to make up the offering of 4 + 16 oz bottles. Honestly, who in the heck 

can buy 25 lbs at a time ??? It did say on FB that they're expanding the mica line and adding bath bomb colorants. Can the current micas be used in bath bombs

etc without  staining the tub ? Id like to try Harolds Purple Crayon  - Tahihan Teal -  Peacock  and a moss or their olive martini . I'll wait till February to order Snow Witch.

Edited by Moonstar

Just now, Moonstar said:

I should of bought the Deviant a few days ago when it was still available in a 8 oz bottle, now only the 16 oz remains :( I saw that too on FB, being a small company

I think they were really struggling and had to make a decision to either do that or close their doors IDK ???? I know a lot of people are not happy about it.

Im wondering though if the original formulas will either change OR increase in price to make up the offering of 4 + 16 oz bottles. Honestly, who in the heck 

can buy 25 lbs at a time ??? It did say on FB that they're expanding the mica line and adding bath bomb colorants. Can the current micas be used in bath bombs

etc with staining the tub ? Id like to try Harolds Purple Crayon  - Tahihan Teal -  Peacock  and a moss or their olive martini . I'll wait till February to order Snow Witch.

Yes, the micas can be used in bath bombs without creating a ring or stain in the tub, you just have to use Poly 80, which I do anyway because it helps create foam/bubbles and is amazing IMO - a lot of people don't like it because it's not "natural" but whatever. Natural is not synonymous with "good" or even "safe" so whatever. LOL 

Personanlly IMO and this is JMO - they grew too big too fast, didn't have the proper business plan in place to accommodate the growth and were forced to outsource. I don't think the formulas will change, because the same place they got the FO's from in the first place is where they will be getting the 25lb drums, but with them having to put in the labor for breaking them down into 16 and 4 oz  sizes every 4 months or whatever it is, I am 100% positive prices will go up, and they were already expensive to begin with. It's crazy... I'm not happy about it, but it's things like this why I will never rely on 1 supplier to get any 1 thing. All too often companies will discontinue a scent or supply, go out of business, or do something like this... 

• Like 1