I need to outsource! OUTSOURCE!!!! dammit!

Sponiebr

This is by no means all of it but this is what I have wrapped thus far. I think I want to outsource soap wrapping... There's a Disher here that sells cuts straight off the log,

I would like to consider this... "Thank you so much for your purchase of (glitch). Here's your soap in a brown paper bag.  There is a card in the bag denoting the soap specifications. Have a wonderful day and I hope you really enjoy your soap!  :D" BZZZZZZT:  Thank you so much for your purchase of (glitch). Here's your soap in a brown paper bag.  There is a card in the bag denoting the soap specifications. Have a wonderful day and I hope you really enjoy your soap!  :D"

Those oval ones are a flat out PITA. they are wrapped in wax paper under the tissue paper. 

20161215_082711.jpg

20161215_082804.jpg

20161215_082736.jpg

20161215_082849.jpg

Sponiebr the Outsourcer of... (things he don't like to do... ) 

4 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Jump over to Pinterest for packaging ideas. Simple is best!

OH HELL!!! I JUST HAD THE BEST IDEA THAT THE EXECUTOR... NEVER MIND!!!! I GOT THIS! 

Get this: 

Plug a hole in the soap bar, and run a string with a tag through the hole!!! Oh this is SO GOOD! Low impact, low cost, easy to do, fast, comes with a hanger loop for displaying on a peg board. THIS IS AWESOME!

Thank you for inspiring me TT! 

Sponiebr 

3 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Confused. Did you even look at Pinterest for their thousands of simple, attractive options?

No... no... not at all... It was more like instant mental diarrhea. Fairly inspired though... I'll get over there to Pinterest tonight. I'm gonna go to sleep now before I get goofy. ;) 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

Are you selling? If you are, and are going to label your soap, you need to follow the regulations for labeling soap, otherwise if you decide not to label, you can just call your soap, soap. 

These are just the Christmas presents, but... now that you mention it... I was going, (for the time being), with the "it's soap" and "calling it soap" loophole and skipping the ingredients thing for right now. Are those labels shown above not good to that end? 

2 hours ago, Sponiebr said:

These are just the Christmas presents, but... now that you mention it... I was going, (for the time being), with the "it's soap" and "calling it soap" loophole and skipping the ingredients thing for right now. Are those labels shown above not good to that end? 

Take out the "10% Unsaponified Oils Content"  and you'll be good. If you put that, you have to put which oil(s) it is that's unsaponified and if it's CP you won't know, and if you list 1 oil, you have to list all oils, which will then lead you to having to list all ingredients in correct order. Which then defeats the purpose of just calling it soap. Also if you make any cosmetic claims at all, either verbally or on the label, then you have to list ingredients. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

Take out the "10% Unsaponified Oils Content"  and you'll be good. If you put that, you have to put which oil(s) it is that's unsaponified and if it's CP you won't know, and if you list 1 oil, you have to list all oils, which will then lead you to having to list all ingredients in correct order. Which then defeats the purpose of just calling it soap. Also if you make any cosmetic claims at all, either verbally or on the label, then you have to list ingredients. 

Thanks J! I really appreciate the help. I do NOT want to go pissing off the Feudal Demagoguery Administration.  As I said these are going out to friends and family as Christmas gifts, so I'm not relabeling them, but I will take the SF % off the labels in my template. 

19 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Confused. Did you even look at Pinterest for their thousands of simple, attractive options?

So I goes over to them Pinterest and hey! my soap on a string idea is there! Not only that but a sudsy friend of mine posted a picture of her soaps that she just got done wrapping and she had some of those soaps on a string! GMTA!!! 

I think I'm in love with the concept of a small paper bag with the end folded over and closed with a string. That just seems so fast and breathable and just generally a good idea, and because I like the idea it's probably going to cause the soap to develop toxins not normally found on Earth...(Shrugs, I'm just used to it by now.)

Slainte,

Sponiebr 

The whole 10% SF thing is too confusing for consumers anyway. Given you probably do not have the certificate of analysis for either your lye or your oils you are really just guessing for some sort of label appeal. 

Just write the scent and/or some snappy description of the scent and all will be good. 

• Like 3

Not to mention that your average consumer is not going to know what "unsaponified" even means. When you try to explain it in laymen's terms they think they are washing with oil. Which is not a huge seller when you are trying to get people clean, not slick. LMAO kwim? 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

Not to mention that your average consumer is not going to know what "unsaponified" even means. When you try to explain it in laymen's terms they think they are washing with oil. Which is not a huge seller when you are trying to get people clean, not slick. LMAO kwim? 

Yeah but I can't say the "F" word on my soap, much less SUPER "F" word... They'd burn me at the stake! I'll take your advice and skip the whole Super "F" word issue... Somebody also mentioned in "that-other-place-which-was-no-more-but-now-again-is" that if I want to sell by weight that I have to have my scales certified by the State. I know something about scale certification due to my work, but I mean DAMN!? Really!? In order to get hard cured soap that isn't going to have any moister evaporating off i'll have to have a BUTT TON of soap on the racks at any particular time, just curing... I could price it by the bar, but then I'd have to have a surefire weigh (there's a double entendre in there I promise), to cut the bars EXACTLY the same and also be able to mold them, and have them end up finished exactly the same... Selling by weight seems easier. 

You know what... As cheap a bastard as I am... (yep! Cheap bastard, and HOW! ) I really need to go ahead and get those books by Gale on labeling and GMP, because the death doom and destruction in this selling soap labyrinth is just palpable.  (shudders) 

Sponiebr the Cheap Bastard

People tend to over complicate things so much. 

If you sell by the ounce or lb, like a deli, then yes an accurate certified scale is needed. But, if you know from experience your soap cures to Xoz, then list it that way. It can weigh more but not less. For instance, if you know your soap cures to 4.6 oz at the smallest, make your labels 4.5 oz. you can go over, but not under. 

KISS.

• Like 1

So Sponie that's a lot of work at wrapping stuff up and here's my opinion about covered soaps ... I'm not interested. I like to see what I'm getting. 

Think about shrink wrap perhaps and a label design give the people something to look at, something that makes they want to pick your stuff up and sniff when you get to a selling point. Shrink has the potential to still give you a clean look. 

And mentioning the unsaponified oil ... eh. Don't confuse the customer. I don't even think you have to mention the obvious that it's handcrafted bath soap, but that makes me wonder ... they can't use a bar at the kitchen sink? Can they use it in the shower?

Edited by Scented
  • Like 1