Making embeds with no fragrance

3 hours ago, Laura C said:

Ha, that sounds neat, I've never seen that or done that before. Got any photos or videos of it? I'll have to do some experimenting.

20170106_004527.thumb.jpg.c7e9122a32b2cc560161069f1b5aa0aa.jpg20170107_065913.thumb.jpg.d8adb462f495e914353ae27e5d7d5add.jpg

The top one is one of those wooden wicks I made from a smashed up popsicle stick and the bottom one is another wood wick but it also shows the mica effect I was talking about. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sponiebr said:

Why not in candles? The glitter won't wick and burn, it *might* clog your wick but it won't burn. I personally LOVE the effect of micas and glitter in candles. They swirl from the wick outwards in the MP and then sink and recirculate along the MP's convection currents... They're GORGEOUS! I can watch for hours a mica candle burn.

I'm just curious as to why you wouldn't want to have glitter in candles...  

Too much glitter might interfere with the candle, but I think a little is okay too and whenever I've burned a candle with some in it, the glitter does move and swirl outwards. 

I made these a few years ago to place on top of a candle, although they were a little difficult to remove from the mold.

giftboxes.jpg.fce2df39215bcdda89c61f11bddcf93b.jpg

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Sponiebr said:

Why not in candles? The glitter won't wick and burn, it *might* clog your wick but it won't burn. I personally LOVE the effect of micas and glitter in candles. They swirl from the wick outwards in the MP and then sink and recirculate along the MP's convection currents... They're GORGEOUS! I can watch for hours a mica candle burn.

I'm just curious as to why you wouldn't want to have glitter in candles...  

I personally will not use any glitter in my candles. Therefore, I won't suggest it either.  To each their own, of course.  😊

Although I do make candles upon request, I don't stock them.  I much prefer making my wax melts.  As far as glitter goes, I just think it's far to risky to add it to something your going to light....  Again, to each their own. Risk versus reward.  Especially with craft store glitters, most are made from paper products, so not only do you risk clogging your wick & it not burning correctly, but there is also the "risk" of fire. Others may say it's okay. I just will not suggest that someone do something that I myself won't do.  I do however oftentimes use micas and glitters in my wax melts.  And I couldn't agree with you more @Sponiebr about the beautiful melt pool that micas can make!!!  Just lovely.....  Please keep in mind this is just my 2 cents worth.  😇 

EDIT:  UGH.... I wish it would allow me  to fix the spacing in the first paragraph. 

Edited by Marleigha
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, birdcharm said:

Too much glitter might interfere with the candle, but I think a little is okay too and whenever I've burned a candle with some in it, the glitter does move and swirl outwards. 

I made these a few years ago to place on top of a candle, although they were a little difficult to remove from the mold.

giftboxes.jpg.fce2df39215bcdda89c61f11bddcf93b.jpg

I LOVE THESE @birdcharm  So pretty!  This is definitely my passion!  I love making melts with molds. These are just incredibly beautiful!  Is that mica or glitter?  😇

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Marleigha said:

I LOVE THESE @birdcharm  So pretty!  This is definitely my passion!  I love making melts with molds. These are just incredibly beautiful!  Is that mica or glitter?  😇

I think making things in molds is fun too, I seemed to get interested in it from an earlier age, I think that lollipop kit had too much influence on me.  That is an ultra fine glitter and I never use very much, I think mica is so fine that it may be a wick clogger, I'm not sure, I've never used it in candles.  As you can see, the gift boxes were poured in two layers (it's straight paraffin wax, btw), with the glitter being sprinkled into the mold first, a thin layer of clear wax on top, then the colored wax -- this way, the bows had a chance to be a different color.  I think I started off thinking I could simply make the bow area white, but they kept overflowing, so I went with whatever the wax wanted to do.  😪

• Like 1

6 hours ago, birdcharm said:

I think making things in molds is fun too, I seemed to get interested in it from an earlier age, I think that lollipop kit had too much influence on me.  That is an ultra fine glitter and I never use very much, I think mica is so fine that it may be a wick clogger, I'm not sure, I've never used it in candles.  As you can see, the gift boxes were poured in two layers (it's straight paraffin wax, btw), with the glitter being sprinkled into the mold first, a thin layer of clear wax on top, then the colored wax -- this way, the bows had a chance to be a different color.  I think I started off thinking I could simply make the bow area white, but they kept overflowing, so I went with whatever the wax wanted to do.  😪

Ahhh!  Very pretty!  I too sprinkle it into my mold.  But when you say clear wax 🤔  What are you meaning?  Do you mean wax that you do t add color to?  TIA 

14 hours ago, Marleigha said:

Ahhh!  Very pretty!  I too sprinkle it into my mold.  But when you say clear wax 🤔  What are you meaning?  Do you mean wax that you do t add color to?  TIA 

It has to do with it being straight paraffin (i.e., no color, no stearic acid), so it's not opaque, sorry, I didn't exactly word that right!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, birdcharm said:

It has to do with it being straight paraffin (i.e., no color, no stearic acid), so it's not opaque, sorry, I didn't exactly word that right!

Oh okay.  Well none the less they're just darling!  ❤️ them! HAPPY THANKSGIVING @birdcharm!  And HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO EVERYONE ON CS!!! 😇🙏🏼

Edited by Marleigha
  • Like 1

On 11/22/2018 at 3:37 AM, Marleigha said:

Oh okay.  Well none the less they're just darling!  ❤️ them! HAPPY THANKSGIVING @birdcharm!  And HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO EVERYONE ON CS!!! 😇🙏🏼

I hope you're having a wonderful "Thanksgiving Weekend" too! 

P.S. The nice thing about some of the embed molds is that they can double as little hand soap molds for melt 'n' pour once the glitter can all be cleaned out!  😊

• 5 months later...

I know this thread is several months old-just wanted to say thank you for all the wisdom. I was about to embark on putting the candle brand logo as an embed on top of some candles, but thought it would be a good idea to get some good tips on how to do it (since that could be faster than making all the waxy messy mistakes I know I would do LOL)!  I think I will give it a try this week-but didn't want to do so without giving credit where credit is due,  so thanks again :)

• Like 1