Making embeds with no fragrance

When I make candles for shops I always have a little signature embed sitting on top of the wax.  Now this is the question......Since I make a ton of candles in lots of different fragrances the embeds are always done in the same fragrance but it is a pain in the you know what to make all these little piles of different fragranced embeds.....So I was thinking that since there are lots of different styles of embeds from leaves, to apples to trees to now western themes why not just do them all with no fragrance at all and it sure would make my life a whole lot easier.  I could do a couple hundred at a time and have them in one container and just pick out the ones I need as I make candles.  But my question is do you think that not having any fragrance in them is going to make the candle less strong when that little embed gets melted??  I can't imagine it would with as little as these embeds are....I could always add just a tad more oil to the candle to make up for the loss of the fragrance not in the embed.  Am I making myself clear here?  

Trappeur

• Like 4

That's what I did with the horseshoe 

I just used my container wax unscented and made up a a ton at a time and have them ready and waiting - so much easier than keeping track of scents when pouring and placing them 

I don't think you will lose Scent at all- I just started this with my western line only and haven't noticed a difference at all....you created a monster because I now ordered Michigan shaped ice cube trays to add them to my Michigan line ?

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, moonshine said:

That's what I did with the horseshoe 

I just used my container wax unscented and made up a a ton at a time and have them ready and waiting - so much easier than keeping track of scents when pouring and placing them 

I don't think you will lose Scent at all- I just started this with my western line only and haven't noticed a difference at all....you created a monster because I now ordered Michigan shaped ice cube trays to add them to my Michigan line ?

lol, lol - yea, seems like I've been make a lot of monster mole holes lately.....lol

What do you make out of the ice cube trays?

Cool! you doing them....they do add that little special touch to the candles that makes you different from the norm, but sometimes I think why oh why did I do that and create all this extra dang work for myself and create a monster for myself....oh well....

Moonshine, I have noticed that when I used to make up embeds ahead of time if they sit for a real long time, some of mine did start to yellow some.  But I'm so darn busy just trying to keep up with all these friggin candles that they really don't sit for any length of time.   Now I use 464.  I think you use something else, so you might to want to check on them when you do yours.  But I'm glad you said there was no throw difference as I was wondering about that. 

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur
  • Like 1

All this time I've been doing them scented just drives me nuts!  Ok, Candybee and Jane you don't scent  yours either.....Well good as I just did my last scented one! ha!  Oh yes Candybee I do that very thin 2'nd pour on the top after I have set the embed on top just enough to catch the embed.

Thanks!:hello:

Trappeur

• Like 1

When I used them I never scented them.  I don't think it lightened the scent at all, mine were small.  I especially think that horseshoe will not, or anything thin.  I used to heat gun the top just enough to secure the embed, saves that 2nd pour step.

• Like 1

Thanks Scented.

Well that is a good idea KKrazy if I owned a heat gun...ha!

When I pour my candles being that 99% of the time all of them get embeds I pour anywheres from 110 to 149...it doesnt make a difference as the 2'nd pour is going to cover what ever the tops look like.  Never thought of getting a heat gun...maybe I should....

Trappeur

3 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Thanks Scented.

Well that is a good idea KKrazy if I owned a heat gun...ha!

When I pour my candles being that 99% of the time all of them get embeds I pour anywheres from 110 to 149...it doesnt make a difference as the 2'nd pour is going to cover what ever the tops look like.  Never thought of getting a heat gun...maybe I should....

Trappeur

You can pick one up online pretty reasonably. I got mine from Harbor Freight, I believe.

I didn't want to lose the detail on the horseshoe with the little ridges so what I did, and I am brand new to using embeds, is after my candles set I took a heat gun to the tops and just placed the horseshoe in the little bit of melted wax and it's secure enough to not move and it went fast 

not sure if that's good or not but I wanted to go as fast as I could 

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi @Trappeur. I'm doing research and starting to learn about wax melts, tarts and embeds. Are all three of those the same thing? Or is it that embeds use a harder wax because you don't necessarily want them to melt right away? I don't know, it seems like they are all the same thing. :confused: And can you use soap molds to make wax melts?

2 hours ago, Laura C said:

Hi @Trappeur. I'm doing research and starting to learn about wax melts, tarts and embeds. Are all three of those the same thing? Or is it that embeds use a harder wax because you don't necessarily want them to melt right away? I don't know, it seems like they are all the same thing. :confused: And can you use soap molds to make wax melts?

Yes mam @Laura C.  They are all the same thing for the most part.  Some people call them wax melts, some people call them wax tarts and then some people call them embeds.  Ultimately embeds are used by both candle makers and tart/melt makers alike.  Candle makers use them for a cute little topper or 2 on the tops of their candles and wax tart/melt makers can bag them to sell them by the oz.  Embeds that are in candles are usually made with the same wax as the rest of the wax in the candle.  Same thing applies when making embeds to use as tarts/melts.  Also, you can use soap molds, cake molds, candy molds, etc.... to make tarts/melts and/or embeds.  So much fun!!!  HTH!  😇  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Marleigha said:

Yes mam @Laura C.  They are all the same thing for the most part.  Some people call them wax melts, some people call them wax tarts and then some people call them embeds.  Ultimately embeds are used by both candle makers and tart/melt makers alike.  Candle makers use them for a cute little topper or 2 on the tops of their candles and wax tart/melt makers can bag them to sell them by the oz.  Embeds that are in candles are usually made with the same wax as the rest of the wax in the candle.  Same thing applies when making embeds to use as tarts/melts.  Also, you can use soap molds, cake molds, candy molds, etc.... to make tarts/melts and/or embeds.  So much fun!!!  HTH!  😇  

Great, thanks so much @Marleigha for all the helpful info and for clearing things up for me. I feel more confident now to start experimenting with melts. I gotta get busy. 😄

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Marleigha said:

Embeds that are in candles are usually made with the same wax as the rest of the wax in the candle.

One exception to this would be the embeds that are used in gel candles ... I know that's not what this thread is about though!  It just came to mind because that's how I first got involved in making embeds (making them for gel candles) ... they all had to be made with a higher melt point wax so they wouldn't melt so easily.  I think I've mentioned before or posted a photo about lightly using some specialty glitters that can be sprinkled into the mold before pouring, you just have to be extra careful when you pour, making sure not to pour directly over the glitter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Laura C said:

Great, thanks so much @Marleigha for all the helpful info and for clearing things up for me. I feel more confident now to start experimenting with melts. I gotta get busy. 😄

Your so very welcome!  Melts are so much fun!  Be confident.... Make a bunch of different shapes and different colored wax!   I started out with buying some candy molds and then bought soap molds and all kinds of other molds.  They are just really fun to experiment with.  If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask!  I thoroughly enjoy this forum and have always encountered such kind, helpful, amazing people.  I am always on the prowl for FO suggestions and ask 977 questions about potential new ones!   LOL  ❤️ it here!  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Marleigha said:

Make a bunch of different shapes and different colored wax!   I started out with buying some candy molds and then bought soap molds and all kinds of other molds.  They are just really fun to experiment with.

I hear ya and I'm afraid the mold thing will turn into an addiction just like the FOs. LOL!

I've already had to contain myself from buying a bunch of molds since I've not even started making any yet. I told myself to calm down and use my old muffin pan and old ice cube trays in order to try it out. Then if I like it and want to make more and get creative then I'll buy some fun molds. Yippee!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, birdcharm said:

I think I've mentioned before or posted a photo about lightly using some specialty glitters that can be sprinkled into the mold before pouring, you just have to be extra careful when you pour, making sure not to pour directly over the glitter.

Thanks for the info. Regarding the glitter on melts and candles, you can't just use the glitter from a craft store? It has to be a "specialty glitter"?

2 hours ago, Laura C said:

Thanks for the info. Regarding the glitter on melts and candles, you can't just use the glitter from a craft store? It has to be a "specialty glitter"?

You can use regular glitter, although the effect will not be quite the same.  I prefer to use the ultra-fine or fine in very small amounts.  I think the specialty glitters allow you to use less while catching more light and they provide a pretty colorful effect.  These are similar to some of types I'm referring to:  link

• Like 1

1 hour ago, birdcharm said:

You can use regular glitter, although the effect will not be quite the same.  I prefer to use the ultra-fine or fine in very small amounts.  I think the specialty glitters allow you to use less while catching more light and they provide a pretty colorful effect.  These are similar to some of types I'm referring to:  link

Thanks for the details. Wow do they have the glitter! Everything's so shiny. 😎 Looks like they have anything you could possibly want. 

6 hours ago, birdcharm said:

I just wanted to clarify that I would only use regular glitter in very small amounts in melts..... NOT in candles.  Melts/Tarts are a little different as they will not have an open flame where as candles do have an open flame..... Please do not use glitter in candles at all.  Sparingly in melts yes, but not in candles.  Just wanted to clarify just incase.  😇

Edited by Marleigha
  • Thanks 1

I've used very small amounts of glitter with both gel candles and novelty candles with certain designs around the outward edges or on embellishments or embeds ... the glitter always moves away from the center.  It does sink, however, so I use a 10mm wick tab sleeve to ensure that the candle will go out.  I agree it's not something to be used in any abundance, but in very small amounts, it can be used without it causing any issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Marleigha said:

I just wanted to clarify that I would only use regular glitter in very small amounts in melts..... NOT in candles.  Melts/Tarts are a little different as they will not have an open flame where as candles do have an open flame..... Please do not use glitter in candles at all.  Sparingly in melts yes, but not in candles.  Just wanted to clarify just incase.  😇

Why not in candles? The glitter won't wick and burn, it *might* clog your wick but it won't burn. I personally LOVE the effect of micas and glitter in candles. They swirl from the wick outwards in the MP and then sink and recirculate along the MP's convection currents... They're GORGEOUS! I can watch for hours a mica candle burn.

I'm just curious as to why you wouldn't want to have glitter in candles...  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sponiebr said:

I personally LOVE the effect of micas and glitter in candles. They swirl from the wick outwards in the MP and then sink and recirculate along the MP's convection currents... They're GORGEOUS! I can watch for hours a mica candle burn.

Ha, that sounds neat, I've never seen that or done that before. Got any photos or videos of it? I'll have to do some experimenting.

Edited by Laura C