Need Advise on Making A Massage Oil

Moonstar

Id like to make a massage oil as a gift for one of my son's support team. She also does massage therapy on the side so I thought this is doable ( I think ) 

From what Ive read grapeseed oil is good since its a light oil but Im not sure how good it would be for a massage oil. She likes scents that are outdoorsy 

sandalwood + Lavender too. What kind of a bottle is best suited for this - glass, plastic and is a pump or disc cap better would you say ? Im hoping it 

comes out great, she's such a great lady and does so much for him throughout the year.

Thank you in advance 

Sweet almond oil makes the best massage oil, but it also has a short shelf life unless it is refrigerated.  I used to make it for our local massage therapists with essential oil.  They liked the pump bottles best because easier for them to use during a massage.  I made 8 oz bottles so they wouldn't spoil before being used up.  I think sandalwood & lavender mix might actually be nice.  I like both scents so I'd prob like it.  Lavender & eucalyptus is a good mix for sore muscles.  Whatever you decide to use, less is more in massage oil, you really don't want the scent to overpower but be subtle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kandlekrazy said:

Sweet almond oil makes the best massage oil, but it also has a short shelf life unless it is refrigerated.  I used to make it for our local massage therapists with essential oil.  They liked the pump bottles best because easier for them to use during a massage.  I made 8 oz bottles so they wouldn't spoil before being used up.  I think sandalwood & lavender mix might actually be nice.  I like both scents so I'd prob like it.  Lavender & eucalyptus is a good mix for sore muscles.  Whatever you decide to use, less is more in massage oil, you really don't want the scent to overpower but be subtle.

Oh I love your ideas - thank you ! I never thought about the sore muscle blends. Lav Euc sounds awesome ! Thanks for the great information - very helpful :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

Grape seed is a very short shelf life oil (6months or less until is smells rancid). 

No matter the oil you pick, you might consider adding polysorbate 80 so it launders out of fabrics easily. 

I never thought of adding poly 80 ...  so if I make an 8oz bottle how much of that do I add ? What about Fractionated CO - does that enough slip ??? 

You guys are so helpful - thank you ! 

I'm asking... Not contributing: What about some Dimethicone and maybe a little Cyclomethicone to add a little something to the slip? Also what about jojoba for a long life "oil"? The ewax mixes with the methicones right?

That's right piccard.jpg

(I was almost sure it does...)  

Sponiebr o.O  

• Like 1

http://www.themassageoilshop.com.au/which-massage-oil-is-best.aspx

Fractionated CO may feel nice. As would avocado. I lean toward jojoba as I use it in other products and the shelf life is soooo long. 

Here are some ideas from SwiftCraftyMonkey's Susan:

http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/search?q=Massage+oil

An easy slip test, try it on your forearm. Sometimes a blend of what you have on hand is perfect.

poly80: http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/search?q=Polysorbate+80

i would start with 5% and see if the oils launder out easily from a cloth. Adjust as needed.

• Like 1