Wax Wick Test

C3 - Round 1
  Wick MP Diameter Notes
1 CD12                   2.75 Small mushrooms
2 CDN12                   2.80 Small mushrooms
3 CSN12                   2.25 Small mushrooms
4 CD14                   2.50 Small mushrooms
5 CDN14                   2.75 Small mushrooms
6 WI740                   1.75 did not complete 3rd burn.
7 LX14                   2.50 barely any mushrooming
8 ECO6                   2.60 small mushrooms
9 44-24-18z                   2.00 Massive mushrooms
10 #2/0                   2.50 small mushrooms late
11 HTP73                   2.00 Small mushrooms
12 HEMP1400                   2.85 Massive Mushrooms
13 Non-crackle .5" wood wick                   2.00 Deep MP, most discolored wax

Next steps:

Re-do tests with larger versions of all with MP diameter less than 2.75"

Through experience, I know the CD14 & CDN14 in a tin will reach FMP in a normal amount of time. I predict these wicks will work well in the tins once the air currents are built within the tin.

These same wicks may be a size too big in taller glass containers. Tests of tins and glass status jars to come. stay tuned.

• Like 7

Im not an expert at all, but I thought it was general rule of thumb to keep your wicks trimmed at 1/8"-1/4" regardless of container or wax.To ME it seems your wicks are too long in almost every picture. Now wouldnt a wick that isnt properly trimmed burn differently and thus affecting your results?

The CD and CDN are looking pretty good. I always love how an LX burns. They just make the prettiest flames IMO but I never get much in the way of scent throw with them. Interesting that the CSN is doing as well as it did. Those were designed and primed for glass glow wax and I imagine  would not be ideal for C3.

It might be interesting to note which wicks are primed and if you know what the priming wax is. I don't know if you have all the answers for that.

Would it be possible to resize just the individual ruler measurement picks or at least from this point on?I used to be able to post smaller pics side by side. Not sure our new forum has that capability. But that would work perfectly for the ruler pics. 

I am just finding it a bit tough to scroll up and down through all the pics to compare them to  grouping pics. Hope that makes sense.

Edited by Candybee

• 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Im looking to make a glass jar candle in a Yankee candle jar ( large) it will hold about 660g of eco soy wax. Ive been told thst a eco 16 wick should be ok to burn sufficiently. I will be buying the wick by the metre and trimming it as the company dont supply a long enough wick. Can anyone offer advice please?

3 hours ago, Guest Newbie said:

Im looking to make a glass jar candle in a Yankee candle jar ( large) it will hold about 660g of eco soy wax. Ive been told thst a eco 16 wick should be ok to burn sufficiently. I will be buying the wick by the metre and trimming it as the company dont supply a long enough wick. Can anyone offer advice please?

What type of advice? About tabbing the wick? Or the size? 

Wick size depends a lot on the dimensions of the jar and the type of wax used. 

• 2 weeks later...

Tall Tayl:  I really appreciated seeing the wick testing you did last year and wonder if you've arrived at some conclusions (mostly, did wicking up in the same wick family give you a bigger melt pool as you suspected or were there some nasty side-effects such as soot, carbon balls, or high flames?).  Thanks!

• 4 months later...
On 2/2/2017 at 11:43 AM, TallTayl said:

SUMMARY

Wax Wick Test

C3 - Round 1
  Wick MP Diameter Notes
1 CD12                   2.75 Small mushrooms
2 CDN12                   2.80 Small mushrooms
3 CSN12                   2.25 Small mushrooms
4 CD14                   2.50 Small mushrooms
5 CDN14                   2.75 Small mushrooms
6 WI740                   1.75 did not complete 3rd burn.
7 LX14                   2.50 barely any mushrooming
8 ECO6                   2.60 small mushrooms
9 44-24-18z                   2.00 Massive mushrooms
10 #2/0                   2.50 small mushrooms late
11 HTP73                   2.00 Small mushrooms
12 HEMP1400                   2.85 Massive Mushrooms
13 Non-crackle .5" wood wick                   2.00 Deep MP, most discolored wax

Next steps:

Re-do tests with larger versions of all with MP diameter less than 2.75"

Through experience, I know the CD14 & CDN14 in a tin will reach FMP in a normal amount of time. I predict these wicks will work well in the tins once the air currents are built within the tin.

These same wicks may be a size too big in taller glass containers. Tests of tins and glass status jars to come. stay tuned.

this is extremely helpful!  thank you :)

38 minutes ago, jfc said:

strange how CD12 achieved a greater melt pool than CD14 😳

It is because the cd12 cannot draw up to burn as much wax as the cd14, so the remaining wax just melts more around the flame. Does not make 12 a “better” choice at all. Hot throw is created by the wick being able to fully combust that melted fuel and “throw” it into the air. 

As the candle with the 12 in this case continues to burn the tendency is for it to keep developing a deeper and deeper melt pool which actually makes the melt pool cooler with less robust hot throw. Cd16 May have been a better choice.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

It is because the cd12 cannot draw up to burn as much wax as the cd14, so the remaining wax just melts more around the flame. Does not make 12 a “better” choice at all. Hot throw is created by the wick being able to fully combust that melted fuel and “throw” it into the air. 

As the candle with the 12 in this case continues to burn the tendency is for it to keep developing a deeper and deeper melt pool which actually makes the melt pool cooler with less robust hot throw. Cd16 May have been a better choice.

Interesting ! Thanks for clarifying. For 8oz glass jars (2.5" - 3" diameter) would I be closer to cd14 or cd16?

Hard to say. Depends on the fragrance, etc. and depth of the glass.  The taller the jar, the likely lower wick size since it gets incredibly hot in the second half. 

Id be inclined to start with a 14, and work up/down as needed. 

• 1 year later...

SUMMARY

Wax Wick Test

C3 - Round 1
  Wick MP Diameter Notes
1 CD12                   2.75 Small mushrooms
2 CDN12                   2.80 Small mushrooms
3 CSN12                   2.25 Small mushrooms
4 CD14                   2.50 Small mushrooms
5 CDN14                   2.75 Small mushrooms
6 WI740                   1.75 did not complete 3rd burn.
7 LX14                   2.50 barely any mushrooming
8 ECO6                   2.60 small mushrooms
9 44-24-18z                   2.00 Massive mushrooms
10 #2/0                   2.50 small mushrooms late
11 HTP73                   2.00 Small mushrooms
12 HEMP1400                   2.85 Massive Mushrooms
13 Non-crackle .5" wood wick                   2.00 Deep MP, most discolored wax

Saw above in an old post:  so you think a CD 14 will work in an 8 oz tin?  Not to big?  I have been testing the 6 and 8.

With Cargill C3 soy wax, in my particular case at the time of these tests, cd14 did well with many fragrances. Every fragrance needed complete testing as some needed wicking down several sizes while others needed to be wicked up. 

cd14 May or may not work the same in other blends of wax, or C3 wax from a different lot number

• 1 month later...
Guest MagGenerator1

Hey TallTayl,

From the photos, the widest and deepest melt pools appear to be created from the wicks CDN14 shown on Tray 1 and HEMP1400 shown on Tray 2. Do you agree? I'm looking for a wick that will create a melt pool that will encompass a 2-inch x 2-inch square area. What is the significance of the lighter yellows as opposed to the darker yellows ... Do the lighter yellows represent a deeper melt pool?