No... OH PLEASE!!! NO!!!!

Sponiebr

Um... Do you think this is what I think this is? I'm really hoping that this is some sort of transfer from some of the other bars that were packed in tightly with this Mediterranean fig and brown sugar fig... The bars packed in next to it were that turmeric colored Jamaica Me Crazy and they were touching this Med fig batch... 3 bars have a couple of lighter bits and it's on the same edge as this bar. All the other batches have been just for kicks, this is the ONE batch that I made especially for the good look'n blonde gal I went to college with for her Christmas gift... THIS IS THE ONE FRICK'N BATCH. 

(Seriously Murphy, KNOCK IT OFF!) 

I didn't see anything odd with the other 4 bars, they look just fine, and the Jamaica Me Crazy batch looks just fine. 

DOS or not.jpg

:faint:

Sponiebr: Finalist in the World Championship of BOHICA. 

• Like 1

It kind of does look like DOS to me.  However, I would set it aside and watch it.  Does it have an off smell of any kind?  It could be transfer from another soap but I would still keep an eye on it.  You may be okay, especially if none of the others look off.

• Like 2

I can't offer much advise but seriously Sponiebr, you crack me up :) You gave me a chuckle that I needed this morning. Getting my son ready for school is 

a job and a half lol !  Reading this made my morning. Now coffee lol ! Let us know what you learn about this. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shari said:

It kind of does look like DOS to me.  However, I would set it aside and watch it.  Does it have an off smell of any kind?  It could be transfer from another soap but I would still keep an eye on it.  You may be okay, especially if none of the others look off.

That particular one smells a little like old veg oil in that one spot, but it could also be the smell from the other soap, I honestly can't tell. I've got the possible contaminated bars out on my desk right now and I'll tarp them with a napkin, toilet paper, or I dunno---- something that will hide my shame, frustration, and disappointment...  

Hey, we've all had it happen at least once.  I had it happen on 100% Coconut Oil with 0 SF.  I was making stain sticks and they all ended up with DOS.  Strange, as it's never happened again.   If it smell kind of like rancid oils, I would lean more towards it being DOS.   You can still use them, but I'd use them fast.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Shari said:

Hey, we've all had it happen at least once.  I had it happen on 100% Coconut Oil with 0 SF.  I was making stain sticks and they all ended up with DOS.  Strange, as it's never happened again.   If it smell kind of like rancid oils, I would lean more towards it being DOS.   You can still use them, but I'd use them fast.

Does trimming the crap spot off work?  I mean isn't DOS kind of a systemic thing? It's not more than 1/4" deep and probably closer to an 1/8 or 3/16 th's tops.

I can honestly put a bet that if this is DOS then it picked it up during the hurricane while the power was out and the humidity was 100% for a week.  

ETA: I just lined them up and it's a perfect line down the side of all three, this really might just be a transfer stain. That ONE bar has that oh so slight translucent start to it though... 

Edited by Sponiebr
Just noticed sommat...

It could be transfer if it were against something. I have seen DOS appear in one spot, then slowly appear on other parts of the bar.

Could also be fragrance not fully mixed in. I have some where you can see the ribbons of fragrance rush the bar. And some where the fragrance had starting crystallizing which discolored the soap.

how deep is it now?

3 hours ago, TallTayl said:

It could be transfer if it were against something. I have seen DOS appear in one spot, then slowly appear on other parts of the bar.

Could also be fragrance not fully mixed in. I have some where you can see the ribbons of fragrance rush the bar. And some where the fragrance had starting crystallizing which discolored the soap.

how deep is it now?

Odd you should mention this. Dad said that the spot smelled more strongly of the fragrance than the rest of the bar. The depth of the spots are only on the outside of the bars and are about (I'm guesstimating at this point), not more than 3/16th's of an inch deep. It'd be just one swipe across the mandolin to get rid of it. I don't know how fast DOS will spread, but I found another nub of the same soap on my desk that I used to test for color bleeding in the bathroom (I used a bit too much bronze mica in this soap) and it seems to have a dot as well. They were all cured in a plastic baker's tray next to some vanillin heavy soap and next to pine tar soap. 

So it wasn't up against anything yellow? See to me it looks like a yellow transfer and a huge one at that so the DOS, well even what I had didn't come in a big patch. It came like the chicken pox or the measles. Or I'm tired and it's something else. 

I think we've all cut off the orange spots before. For me though all the cutting just produced more that showed up. I think it was just waiting for me to do something so it could have its own breakout party. It doesn't mean that's your case. Just watch it, but don't sit and stare at it, because you might start seeing stuff that isn't there. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scented said:

So it wasn't up against anything yellow? See to me it looks like a yellow transfer and a huge one at that so the DOS, well even what I had didn't come in a big patch. It came like the chicken pox or the measles. Or I'm tired and it's something else. 

I think we've all cut off the orange spots before. For me though all the cutting just produced more that showed up. I think it was just waiting for me to do something so it could have its own breakout party. It doesn't mean that's your case. Just watch it, but don't sit and stare at it, because you might start seeing stuff that isn't there. 

Oh yeah. It was all up against turmeric soap, and pine tar soap, so there was definitely yellow in that I've-got-to-clean-these-up-and-wrap-them-but-dammit-I-don't-wanna-it's-a-pain-in-the-ass box. 

Don't stare at them!? Oh... geeze! I wish I'd known sooner, it's all I've been doing for the last 2 days. (It does kind of explain my paranoid hallucinations of soap laughing at me though... So maybe I'm not nutz? *giggles from the corner of the room* NOPE!!! They're definitely talking about me and laughing at me!!! FARK'N SOAP!!!!  

Oh Hi there! I didn't see you reading this... o.O 

(And no, they DON'T make a medication for my condition...) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sponiebr said:

(And no, they DON'T make a medication for my condition...) 

They do ... it's called throw away the key! 

How many other bars in the batch and how many others are showing signs of this? OR was this the only one against the turmeric?

• Like 1

As for DOS and cutting away the specks ... The pro is you cut off the ugly and then hope that the rest of the bar doesn't break out, but since it did once, wouldn't it do it again, you wonder ... so you keep the bar for yourself, but ... it may not sprout its orange-like acne again ... though you wouldn't know ... and the girl you are trying to impress might come back to tell you it changed to a lovely burnt orange and it doesn't smell quite the way it did the first time. The pro still is that you can use it or you can stare it waiting for it to do something and waste a bunch of time. 

The cons could be that it is DOS and that this is just the first break out and under the surface might be more just waiting to bloom. If you cut it away, it could be that the discoloring already runs much deeper and so you're left with an awkward size bar of soap saying you actually eliminated everything. You could also cut it and think it's gone and set it next to other soaps that need that procrastination shave and shape and polish and find that it's like the measles and it spreads. There's an example from someone out there who decided to rebatch it, but it didn't help so they shred it into a pail to use as laundry soap and it rather made things an unpleasant smell when used etc. 

I still think it's color transfer and if that's the case and yellow doesn't belong in your cream and brown soap, well rename it to include the yellow as if it was supposed to be there all along. 

Either way, stare at it longer ... :P

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Scented said:

They do ... it's called throw away the key! 

How many other bars in the batch and how many others are showing signs of this? OR was this the only one against the turmeric?

Oh! They TRIED that... I picked the lock and got out 'cause I'm just like honey badger. 

Total number of that batch is 3.25. There is another bar (turmeric bars) that was next to these fig bars that has a similar blotch, but that's it.  

8 hours ago, Scented said:

As for DOS and cutting away the specks ... The pro is you cut off the ugly and then hope that the rest of the bar doesn't break out, but since it did once, wouldn't it do it again, you wonder ... so you keep the bar for yourself, but ... it may not sprout its orange-like acne again ... though you wouldn't know ... and the girl you are trying to impress might come back to tell you it changed to a lovely burnt orange and it doesn't smell quite the way it did the first time. The pro still is that you can use it or you can stare it waiting for it to do something and waste a bunch of time. 

The cons could be that it is DOS and that this is just the first break out and under the surface might be more just waiting to bloom. If you cut it away, it could be that the discoloring already runs much deeper and so you're left with an awkward size bar of soap saying you actually eliminated everything. You could also cut it and think it's gone and set it next to other soaps that need that procrastination shave and shape and polish and find that it's like the measles and it spreads. There's an example from someone out there who decided to rebatch it, but it didn't help so they shred it into a pail to use as laundry soap and it rather made things an unpleasant smell when used etc. 

I still think it's color transfer and if that's the case and yellow doesn't belong in your cream and brown soap, well rename it to include the yellow as if it was supposed to be there all along. 

Either way, stare at it longer ... :P

Screw it. I'm gonna wrap'm and send'm. I'll keep the one that is in the picture for a long term test. I'll just send it to her with the admonishment that "If it get's acne and starts to smell bad just kick it to the curb and whatever you do don't feed it or do it's laundry. You've already got 2 teenage boys you don't need any more acne covered sources of stink'n 'tude."

That ought to go over well... It's a PLAN! 

(stares at the soap) Well soap I think it's time for you to get put away...  (GREAT! Now they're whining)  "UUUUAGHHHHHHHHH!!! JUST 15 MINUTES MORE!!!! PUUUUUUULLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEZEEE!!!???! IT'S NO FAIR!!!! THE OTHER SOAPS GET TO STAY OUT ALL THE TIME!!! I HATE YOU!!! I'M NEVER GONNA TALK TO YOU AGAIN!!!! UUUUUGHH!!!"   

<_< :wacko: