Vanilla Stabilizer for CP Soap

bugtussle

BCN's is the only stabilizer I will use. I personally have tried WSP's, NG's, and one other but can't remember which one, and have found that in the long run, BCN's is so much better than all 3 of the others. My pink sugar will stay pink for about 9 months to a year before starting to turn using BCN's, where as with all 3 of the others it would start to turn anywhere from a few weeks to 4 months in. For me, that is not long enough. I won't use anyone's but BCN's. 

I wonder when BCN started only selling it by the half lb? I always got it by the lb until they started selling by the gallon also, and now get it by the gallon from them. 

I go through it fairly quick, because I put it in every batch. Vanilla isn't the only thing that will turn a soap brown or discolor, and the VS helps those as well. 

Not sure what the shelf life is, but I would assume it's like FO and will last a very long time if stored properly. 

5 hours ago, bugtussle said:

The VS from Bcn does not last over 6 months, that's how we ended up with 2 batches of black soap. That's why I am looking for something cheaper than WSP.

It does in my applications. I've never had a soap turn in less than 9 months with BCN's. Some soaps never turn after using it in my soaps. 

I have to agree with JL on how well the BCN version works. The soap batches I put it in keep them from discoloring and so far they have stayed that way even months after. I use about 1tbs per oz of FO even thou it says to use the same amount as the FO about half that amount is all I need for it to work.

As I mentioned before I wish they carried 1 lb bottles because I don't really need a whole gallon. I only use it on those fragrances that discolor.

Just now, TallTayl said:

Does the BCN one morph the fragrance? Others I tried messed with the fragrance. The color doesn't bother me so long as the fragrance is true.

Initially yes, but it fades, and the scent is fine after saponification. I've never noticed a morph in the scent due to the VS... Some of my soaps before using the VS vs. after smell exactly the same even though they look different using everything else the same. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Bumping this. 

I finally got to testing the BCN stabilizer with several of my notable discoloring fragrances in CP. (my Pink Sugar, Fragrance Labs Egyptian Dragon, my Egyptian Dragon, my Sweet Amber, my Dragons Blood and Daystar ultimate vanilla). I only used it at 25% of the FO, so waiting to see how it fares. I can already see that my Amber will need much more stabilizer! 

-added the stabilizer directly to the fragrance and mixed before adding to the soap. Some FO would not mix completely with it, so am interested to see if they all look "right". 

-The scents seemed to disappear for a day or two, but have recovered now. 

-The top exposed to the air in the mold did discolor on all of them, but the rest of each bar seems to be holding in most of the scent samples.

-some fragrances yellow the soap base quite a bit, and have stayed yellow. Not a deal breaker.

will post photos when I get to the shop where the easy camera is. 

I'm rogue. I add it directly to my oils, and I don't weigh it out, I just squeeze it right in. I would say it's probably about 1.5 oz for a 3lb batch. 

My pink sugar doesn't start turning brown for about 9 months to a year. I've not had any others discolor, and I use it in every batch whether it has vanilla in it or not, because IME vanillin is not the only thing that will discolor a soap that the stabilizer helps to not discolor. 

Edited by Jcandleattic
added info
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

What about lotions or scrubs  do you need a VS ? 

There are special stabilizers made just for lotions, however I've never used one, and I've never had any of my lotions discolor, but I have heard of other lotion makers say theirs discolors without a stabilizer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jcandleattic said:

There are special stabilizers made just for lotions, however I've never used one, and I've never had any of my lotions discolor, but I have heard of other lotion makers say theirs discolors without a stabilizer. 

Thank you ! Im wondering if the difference in the outcome varies by made from scratch( as you do) or using a base ? Ive tried a few bases from WSP and 

decided I like the Goat Milk Lotion best. Although Ive been wanting to try Essentials By Catalina A+C lotion ( I think its called)  and have heard Aquatech has 

a few good ones too. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tested the stabilizer in six of my known discoloring fragrances. Right away any surface exposed to air while in the mold darkened almost immediately.

here is what they look like a couple of weeks later. These two pictures were taken almost a week ago and are even darker now.The surface darkening crept around all sides and they even are darkening in the middle. I would try again with more but I'm not very hopeful this will work with my fragrances and soap.

IMG_0665.JPG

IMG_0666.JPG