PROBLEMS WHITE DYE

So I ordered some color blocks from Flaming Candle and decided to add a little of the white to a blue to give it a chalky tone which turned out to my liking.  I let the candle set for 2 weeks and EPIC FAIL.   I am almost convinced it is the dye.  I did nothing different with this candle except a new scent: Winter Wonderland from Flaming.   Look at the pictures and tell me what you think.   The candle barely burns the wick is almost buried now and what I see on the melt pool is almost a white powder like particles.   Again, I did nothing different.   I stirred the dyes for as long as I always do.   What do you guys think?  The worse part is that I just made like 10 other candles last night (different scent) but I also added a little bit of the white.   Also, do you think I can re-melt and do something to save these candles at this point?  Thanks guys 

IMG_7683.jpg

IMG_7684.jpg

2 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

How much did you use? White dyes are almost always made of pigment, and pigments can clog your wick, even used in small amounts. That's probably what's going on. 

Yes, the block looks very pigmented.  I should have thought of that......   I guess I won't be using it again.  Ugh.  

I wouldn't toss the white, because some day you might get into dipping, but what I'd go in search of perhaps is a bit of lustre crystals which might help some to give regular wax a more opaque look. Just something to perhaps experiment with, even though you're doing container candles. Stearic will do the same thing as far as a more opaque look. 

• Like 1

(raises hand) 

I have a question, bearing in mind that I'm just an audience member here in the candle forums, but would it be possible to core out the wicks to say oh, 3/8" and replace the core with a 3/8" wicked plain wax candle? Like plug out the wick and stick a birthday cake candle down in the hole? Would it even scent? Would it even work? 

" 'Curiouser and curiouser!' cried Alice "

Sponiebr

Ooooo!!! What does THIS button do? 

• Like 1

On 11/9/2016 at 11:45 PM, Sponiebr said:

(raises hand) 

I have a question, bearing in mind that I'm just an audience member here in the candle forums, but would it be possible to core out the wicks to say oh, 3/8" and replace the core with a 3/8" wicked plain wax candle? Like plug out the wick and stick a birthday cake candle down in the hole? Would it even scent? Would it even work? 

" 'Curiouser and curiouser!' cried Alice "

Sponiebr

Ooooo!!! What does THIS button do? 

You could do that, but then you would never have a very good scent throw. What you are talking about is better served in what is called "forever" candles, which are typically burned because of the way the candles look (and don't want to ruin that look) or for the 'glow-through' of the flickering candle, when you are not trying to achieve a scent throw. I don't know anyone who burns a container candle just to burn a candle, it has always been because of the scent, so doing this would defeat the whole purpose of making a container candle. 

• Like 1

"I am almost convinced it is the dye.  I did nothing different with this candle except a new scent: Winter Wonderland from Flaming."

have you used the fragrance before? The way I read ththe OP, it was a new to you fragrance. A fragrance can most certainly cause a burn like that.

On 11/9/2016 at 11:06 PM, Scented said:

I wouldn't toss the white, because some day you might get into dipping, but what I'd go in search of perhaps is a bit of lustre crystals which might help some to give regular wax a more opaque look. Just something to perhaps experiment with, even though you're doing container candles. Stearic will do the same thing as far as a more opaque look. 

Scented what are lustre crystals?  Where do you buy that and how do you use it?  First time I hear of it?  Thanks a bunch for this information

Just now, YAMS said:

Scented what are lustre crystals?  Where do you buy that and how do you use it?  First time I hear of it?  Thanks a bunch for this information

Also you do think it is safe to use in very small amounts?  I wanted to make a Winter Wonderland FO candle and want it white but opaque.  I really would like to continue to use the white but only if its safe.  Thanks 

YAMS what wax are you using? 

Lustre crystals you can find here  but keep in mind that it isn't suitable for container candles, but a small amount of it might help to pull out a whiter white. 

what you do is add a little to say a metal measuring cup, melt it on direct heat (a stove burner). Once it is melted (will take a few minutes), add a little bit of melted wax to it to combine, return to heat to make sure all is melted (shouldn't take but a minutes or less), stir to blend and then add that to your batch. Lustre is sticky stuff and you may want to commit that one measuring cup to candlemaking. There are other additives that require melting and then adding to wax. 

It is going to make your wax more opague, but not necessarily white, white ... clear crystals/translucent crystals ... won't make the wax opaque.

Stearic can help  you get whiter wax too, but on a blended wax, I would ask your manufacturer/supplier what to do to get a whiter white. It's just unfortunate that there's not a white white dye out there that isn't a pigment. 

If you want to cheat on this though, I'm sure there's a way to make your candle multi colored, but I don't think that's what you're getting at. I think you're trying to get that blue again aren't you? 

• 3 weeks later...

it looks a little strange. how much dye did you use? 

Also, you can get some of the same effects of white without using white. Try experimenting with different dyes.

Also, it could be the FO. I dont like Winter Wonderland at all, so maybe I am just quick to blame that. Ha