TART MELT WARMERS - ADVICE

YAMS

I am a bit frustrated.   I decided to use my left over wax from candles (4627) and use as melts.  I bought a few wax warmers..  I bought the electric ones with a light bulb in them.  I also bought the ones with a light bulb that go as plug ins on wall outlets.  I bought them from Target .   I don't get almost no HT.  I love the fact that I don't have to use a tealight but they basically just look cute.   I believe the wall plugs use a 5 w bulb and the large counter top ones use a 25 w bulb.   The only warmer that works is an old one that I had bought from Bath and Body Works years ago.  Is a ceramic one that uses tealight, great HT.  BTW I am using one of my best performers, CS Mac Apple.   Can you tell me what warmers work for you?  Specially if you have found the electric ones that do work well?   I am not so worried about the price I just need them to work.  Thanks guys

I use a Scentsy one that my daughter bought me for Christmas last year :) I just love it - it has I believe a 25 watt bulb + I have it on ALL of the time and it 

just a few days ago blew out - the light bulb not the warmer itself. Ive never used your wax for melts. I think Ive decided on a mix of 6006 + Eco soya pillar

blend. Ive also used 464 with a bit of palm and that seemed ok too.But didn't test as many FO's in the last one. When making melts I do use more than 6%

unless of course its a Super strong FO. I know a lot of people have mentioned mixing 2 paraffin waxes on here - don't quote me maybe 4630 + 4625 ???

I'll look later and let you know if wrong on the two waxes :) BTW : I bet you can easily find someone in your area that sells Scentsy if not I believe you can

go online to order. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

I use a Scentsy one that my daughter bought me for Christmas last year :) I just love it - it has I believe a 25 watt bulb + I have it on ALL of the time and it 

just a few days ago blew out - the light bulb not the warmer itself. Ive never used your wax for melts. I think Ive decided on a mix of 6006 + Eco soya pillar

blend. Ive also used 464 with a bit of palm and that seemed ok too.But didn't test as many FO's in the last one. When making melts I do use more than 6%

unless of course its a Super strong FO. I know a lot of people have mentioned mixing 2 paraffin waxes on here - don't quote me maybe 4630 + 4625 ???

I'll look later and let you know if wrong on the two waxes :) BTW : I bet you can easily find someone in your area that sells Scentsy if not I believe you can

go online to order. 

Moonstar that's the thought i was going with.  My sister in law uses Scentsys all the time and she loves them.    I am only using my candle wax now because it was leftovers and didn't want to discard but I purchased 4625 already and plan to make some today.  I will be ordering the Scentsy ones online soon.  Thanks for your advise.   

• Like 1

The one I received as a gift is really pretty too. The glass hurricane over the bulb has a silver mercury glass look to it with bits of bronze peeking through.

I think you'll be happy with the selection Scentsy has. Let us know what you decide and how your new wax works out ! 

• Like 1

The plug inthe wall warmers use a 15 watt bulb. I have no idea why you got one with the smaller wattage. It will not work.

The wattage means heat. It takes 15 watts to heat the warmer up enough to melt your wax. Most waxes will melt at this point and be hot enough to throw the scent. Anything under 7 is for night lights. Warmer bulbs start at 15 and 60 is the biggest wattage I have ever seen. 

I have not seen the ones at target, so I don't know about the wattage on the larger warmers. Your wax has a higher melt point than the 25 watts puts out. Try a 30 watt. You don't need a different warmer, just the right wattage for your wax. Make sure the bulb does not touch the tray. Keep an eye on it. The size and shape of the bulb does not matter, it is all about wattage.

• Like 1

When replacing bulbs in your plug in warmers, be sure you check the label to make sure you don't over-bulb it. Too much wattage for the fixture creates more heat, which could become a fire hazard. Have you read those bloggers who replace the 20w with 40-60 watt bulbs for stronger throw? Eek! 

our Aldi grocery stores had 25watt tiny bulb (halogen maybe) for $8 over the summer. Great little warmers! 

If you don't smell your wax melts in your wRmer, you can test if the problem is the FO using a few drops on some salt. 

• Like 3

On 11/4/2016 at 0:45 AM, lilliput said:

The plug inthe wall warmers use a 15 watt bulb. I have no idea why you got one with the smaller wattage. It will not work.

The wattage means heat. It takes 15 watts to heat the warmer up enough to melt your wax. Most waxes will melt at this point and be hot enough to throw the scent. Anything under 7 is for night lights. Warmer bulbs start at 15 and 60 is the biggest wattage I have ever seen. 

I have not seen the ones at target, so I don't know about the wattage on the larger warmers. Your wax has a higher melt point than the 25 watts puts out. Try a 30 watt. You don't need a different warmer, just the right wattage for your wax. Make sure the bulb does not touch the tray. Keep an eye on it. The size and shape of the bulb does not matter, it is all about wattage.

Liliput, so basically I don't have to get rid of the warmer just change the bulb?  I thought most of them have a maximum wattage capacity?  Also, important to mention I am using the left over 4627 wax from my candles.  I have yet to make tarts using the appropriate wax.   Do you think this may also be influencing the HT?  

On 11/4/2016 at 9:33 AM, Jcandleattic said:

Yams, have you read this thread? It will help with determining what type of melter you want... 

No I haven't J.   I am going to do that right now as I watch the presidential race.  Lol  Thank you so much

Okay so I just read Jcandleattic's recommended post.  Great information.  I have a very dumb question even after reading the post!!!   What is the difference between a light bulb type warmer and a hot plate?  Is a hot plate one that just uses heat via electricity without any form of light?  Also, which do you all prefer?  Thanks guys and bare with my newbie ignorance.    I am getting great at candles but this whole tart thing is too foreign to me still.