Centering wicks Advise

Any tips for centering wicks in jars or containers in general ? Its so frustrating - any advise would be greatly appreciated. Ive seen wick centering thing -ies 

but they seem price + not sure how easy they are to use + do they only work on certain jars /sizes. Saw one on CS + Bittercreek - bitter creek being more 

expensive . Thanks again ! 

• Like 1

Are you looking  at the "targets" for figuring the center, or the stick things to hold the wick tabs to to get them to the bottom?

If glass, I've made little paper bullseyes to set the jar on so I have a place to aim. Look through the bottom of the jar at the paper target and go!

if looking for a tool to hold the wick and tab to get it to the bottom, I have used the stem of a pen. Yanked out the ink part of a Bic and threaded the wick trough the hole.

each cost nothing, really.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Are you looking  at the "targets" for figuring the center, or the stick things to hold the wick tabs to to get them to the bottom?

If glass, I've made little paper bullseyes to set the jar on so I have a place to aim. Look through the bottom of the jar at the paper target and go!

if looking for a tool to hold the wick and tab to get it to the bottom, I have used the stem of a pen. Yanked out the ink part of a Bic and threaded the wick trough the hole.

each cost nothing, really.

Targets ... Im having a heck of a time finding the center :( I like your pen idea though . How does the paper bullseye work

how do you make it - aside from using paper ? lol !

Edited by Moonstar

On a piece of cardboard, (you can use the back of an old writing pad) trace the jar. then with a ruler measure the diameter straight across and then do it straight across the other way to make a cross so to speak.  

Then take the wick tab and trace a circle around that right in the intersection of the cross, color it in with a black magic marker.  

Place the jar you want to wick within the outer circle on the cardboard.  

Take your wick, place the stickum on the tab and thread the wick through the pen stem.  

Aim and place the wick tab within the inner circle that you drew.

Pint mason jars are a bit more challenging due to smaller opening but can be done...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Terry said:

On a piece of cardboard, (you can use the back of an old writing pad) trace the jar. then with a ruler measure the diameter straight across and then do it straight across the other way to make a cross so to speak.  

Then take the wick tab and trace a circle around that right in the intersection of the cross, color it in with a black magic marker.  

Place the jar you want to wick within the outer circle on the cardboard.  

Take your wick, place the stickum on the tab and thread the wick through the pen stem.  

Aim and place the wick tab within the inner circle that you drew.

Pint mason jars are a bit more challenging due to smaller opening but can be done...

Im gonna give this a shot. I think I should also reevaluate using a glue gun + buy some stickums. With the stickums, are they sturdy to hold the wick in place 

once the candle wax is melted? Wheres the best place to get stickums - Im ordering wicks through Flaming , they should carry them I would think ?

Thanks for the great suggestion, I really appreciate it ! 

• Like 1

Honestly there are great debates about this subject here on the board.  

Many members only use Permatex Red to adhere the wick to the jar as it is resistant to heat, the tab will not come loose and it seals the hole in the bottom of the tab.  (this seems like really the safest way to go when selling your candles).  For now while I am testing glue dots or wick stickums are fine for me.  I have also read that members use the wick tabs and glue dots without here issue.  The purpose of the wick tab is to stop the wick from burning at a certain point so the jar does not get too hot at the end which can lead to cracking.  Glue dots/stickums may not provide sufficient coverage of the hole in the tab if not properly lined up thereby drawing the wax up into the wick so the candle continues to burn long after it should have extinguished itself out by the wick tab doing the job it was intended to do.  They could also come loose especially if the jar does not have a flat bottom.  When you use the Permatex you need to prepare your jars the day before pouring so it sets up.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Terry said:

Honestly there are great debates about this subject here on the board.  

Many members only use Permatex Red to adhere the wick to the jar as it is resistant to heat, the tab will not come loose and it seals the hole in the bottom of the tab.  (this seems like really the safest way to go when selling your candles).  For now while I am testing glue dots or wick stickums are fine for me.  I have also read that members use the wick tabs and glue dots without here issue.  The purpose of the wick tab is to stop the wick from burning at a certain point so the jar does not get too hot at the end which can lead to cracking.  Glue dots/stickums may not provide sufficient coverage of the hole in the tab if not properly lined up thereby drawing the wax up into the wick so the candle continues to burn long after it should have extinguished itself out by the wick tab doing the job it was intended to do.  They could also come loose especially if the jar does not have a flat bottom.  When you use the Permatex you need to prepare your jars the day before pouring so it sets up.  

Thank you Terry, very helpful information - very thoughtful of you :) 

• Like 1

I use the bullseye method, and I use drinking straws cut to the appropriate length to thread the wick through.  Works well and I've never felt the need to invest in a specific tool for the job.  I also made a template for tins with a hole in the center. For those, I drop the template inside the tin, mark the center with a sharpie, and aim for the mark.  I also use the stickems.  I've bought them from Aztec, CS, Flaming, and who knows where else, and I've never had one to fail.  For testing, I use hot glue because that's easier to remove from my jars.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Moonstar said:

Im gonna give this a shot. I think I should also reevaluate using a glue gun + buy some stickums. With the stickums, are they sturdy to hold the wick in place 

once the candle wax is melted? Wheres the best place to get stickums - Im ordering wicks through Flaming , they should carry them I would think ?

Thanks for the great suggestion, I really appreciate it ! 

Moonstar I get my wicks, and stickums all from Flaming, been doing that ever since they opened.  ..i've never had a problem with them ever.  The only other supplier I have used for them too is Bittercreek.  Theirs are wonderful also.

As far as centering wicks,  it's horrible to say, but I bullseye them and it's a pain at time especially if I'm tired and I start seeing things that aren't supposed to be there....lol...

I've heard on few occassions of people using the glue dots and some not sticking.....I couldn't take that chance.  That scares me.

I did used to do what Terry said by cutting a piece of paper as a template, finding the middle and marking it and then place the jar over the paper and look down into the jar and hopefully I can get my sticker right on the middle of the x mark.  But for me, unless I'm standing high enough over the jar and looking down into the glass where I know I can get the exact aim I miss it so many times.  That is a great idea of what BF said to drop the template into the jar....(I'm going to try that!  Thanks BF!

What I do is when I eyeball the wick and have it centered manually, I then take a dowel (or like said, use a pen with the guts out it) and take this dowel/pen and slide it down over the wick to the bottom and putsh real hard with the dowel so you know the wick and stickum is on there secure.  The I take up the dowel and drop that dowel all around the edge of the silver bottom of the wick and press firmly on all the edges and go around it in circles in about 4 spots to make sure that the edges are secured down as well as the center of the wick.  Well, that is how I do mine.

Trappeur

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Moonstar I get my wicks, and stickums all from Flaming, been doing that ever since they opened.  ..i've never had a problem with them ever.  The only other supplier I have used for them too is Bittercreek.  Theirs are wonderful also.

As far as centering wicks,  it's horrible to say, but I bullseye them and it's a pain at time especially if I'm tired and I start seeing things that aren't supposed to be there....lol...

I've heard on few occassions of people using the glue dots and some not sticking.....I couldn't take that chance.  That scares me.

I did used to do what Terry said by cutting a piece of paper as a template, finding the middle and marking it and then place the jar over the paper and look down into the jar and hopefully I can get my sticker right on the middle of the x mark.  But for me, unless I'm standing high enough over the jar and looking down into the glass where I know I can get the exact aim I miss it so many times.  That is a great idea of what BF said to drop the template into the jar....(I'm going to try that!  Thanks BF!

What I do is when I eyeball the wick and have it centered manually, I then take a dowel (or like said, use a pen with the guts out it) and take this dowel/pen and slide it down over the wick to the bottom and putsh real hard with the dowel so you know the wick and stickum is on there secure.  The I take up the dowel and drop that dowel all around the edge of the silver bottom of the wick and press firmly on all the edges and go around it in circles in about 4 spots to make sure that the edges are secured down as well as the center of the wick.  Well, that is how I do mine.

Trappeur

Thanks so much ... I have them in my cart right now. Have you ever tried the tea + cakes - bergamot or black tea from Flaming ? They sound interesting 

BTW How did the cd 6 work in the little jar - if you say it worked well - I'll test one tomorrow. I have 3/4 more of those jars. Thanks again :) 

22 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

Thanks so much ... I have them in my cart right now. Have you ever tried the tea + cakes - bergamot or black tea from Flaming ? They sound interesting 

BTW How did the cd 6 work in the little jar - if you say it worked well - I'll test one tomorrow. I have 3/4 more of those jars. Thanks again :) 

:(Darn, yep, the other night I told you I was going to light up the candle....but the truth of the matter is, I never got out of my chair as I fell asleep in it all night! lol.....

I just lit it right now Moonstar.  I'll be back in a while and tell you how it's going....so sorry......

Trappeur

11 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

11 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

• Like 1

I use stickums as well. I have a crimping tool that I use to do a second crimp on the tabs then use the stickum. I've never had an issue with them coming loose during burns nor burning too long at the end. I do often give the tab bottoms a bit of a bend when using jars that don't have a flat bottom. It just gives it some extra holding power.

I found a thick plastic tube that I use to set the wicks but I also just eyeball the center. I do use cardboard templates for double and triple wicking.

• Like 2

On 10/25/2016 at 0:24 PM, Moonstar said:

Any tips for centering wicks in jars or containers in general ? Its so frustrating - any advise would be greatly appreciated. Ive seen wick centering thing -ies 

but they seem price + not sure how easy they are to use + do they only work on certain jars /sizes. Saw one on CS + Bittercreek - bitter creek being more 

expensive . Thanks again ! 

Hi Moonstar!

In all the years of my candle making, there are TWO times I seriously felt like crying with joy (maybe I did...it's been so long ago)...it was when I purchased my two presto pots w/spigots (no longer had to do double boiler method) and when I got these EZ Wick Setting tools...I got one of each....Seriously...my frustration with trying to center wicks drove me absolutely crazy and to tears.. You use these with the wick stickums..once I place my wicks in the jars, I tamp the metal edges down with the unsharpened end of a pencil to make sure they are secure to the bottom of the jar. To me, this is one of the best inventions ever made for the candle maker. I also use these to center tabs for votive cups and my coconut shell candles. These will not fit into every jar...and that is when you place everything as level and as evenly as possible and then wick using these, but if I did not have these, my wicks would be way off.  I have had these for years and just love them. :) They are worth every dime you pay for them.

EZ Wick System

The Serious Tool for the Serious Candle Maker

wickset1.jpg

Operating Instructions
For the Single Wick Setting Tool

The EZ Wick Setter was designed to fit a large number of the most popular containers used by candlemakers. Setting the tool up for different size and depth containers is a snap and only takes a few seconds.

Set-Up

demo_single_1.jpg

Patent Pending

multiset1.jpg
The Multi

This workhorse is destined to be the tool that every candlemaker who double or triple wicks will own. This tool makes double or triple wicking child's play. Just think, offering double or even triple wicked candles for a fund raiser. You would never have considered that before.

The Multi EZ Wick Setter will set either two or three wicks in a container.

Edited by puma52
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, puma52 said:

Hi Moonstar!

In all the years of my candle making, there are TWO times I seriously felt like crying with joy (maybe I did...it's been so long ago)...it was when I purchased my two presto pots w/spigots (no longer had to do double boiler method) and when I got these EZ Wick Setting tools...I got one of each....Seriously...my frustration with trying to center wicks drove me absolutely crazy and to tears.. You use these with the wick stickums..once I place my wicks in the jars, I tamp the metal edges down with the unsharpened end of a pencil to make sure they are secure to the bottom of the jar. To me, this is one of the best inventions ever made for the candle maker. I also use these to center tabs for votive cups and my coconut shell candles. These will not fit into every jar...and that is when you place everything as level and as evenly as possible and then wick using these, but if I did not have these, my wicks would be way off.  I have had these for years and just love them. :) They are worth every dime you pay for them.

EZ Wick System

The Serious Tool for the Serious Candle Maker

wickset1.jpg

Operating Instructions
For the Single Wick Setting Tool

The EZ Wick Setter was designed to fit a large number of the most popular containers used by candlemakers. Setting the tool up for different size and depth containers is a snap and only takes a few seconds.

Set-Up

demo_single_1.jpg

Patent Pending

multiset1.jpg
The Multi

This workhorse is destined to be the tool that every candlemaker who double or triple wicks will own. This tool makes double or triple wicking child's play. Just think, offering double or even triple wicked candles for a fund raiser. You would never have considered that before.

The Multi EZ Wick Setter will set either two or three wicks in a container.

Thank you Puma ! I really think I might look into one of these?

Funny you mention coconut shell candles. I've been wanting to try these for the longest time. About 10 years ago I bought one in Sarasota Florida & loved it ! I think after the new year I'll order a few & see what I think. If I remember correctly I saw an online shop called the coconut guy ??? Do you get yours local ? Thanks again for the link on the centering tool - very thoughtful of you ?

• Like 2

It works with any jar that takes a canning, wide mouth lid or a regular lid.  I've only used the single wick one not the triple wick.  It has ridges to fit 6 different openings so it also works with most votive jars.  I can eyeball my votives but had wasted too much time trying to do that to pint jars.  Others have great suggestions, here, but I was never that smart. ;)

Goldie

• Like 3

I use the single EZ Wick Setter for the 8 oz square masons, 12 and 21 oz status jars, 16 oz masons, 4 oz flower pots, 4 oz jelly jars, votive cups etc and I use the multi for the 22 oz thumbprint jars, 8 oz comfort jars , 16 oz comfort jars and 24 oz comfort jar, 11 and 22 oz tureen jars and have triple wicked a larger heavy glass candle container(see below). The EZ Wick Setters are just a cinch to use and saves a lot of time when pouring several scents and jars. :) I put votive wicks in these EZ Wick Setters for votives and use two votive wicks in the multi for the coconut shell candles - see below. I buy the coconut shell halves that BCN carries. I coat the outside and inside of the shell with Modge Podge to seal the shell, let dry then double wick w/votive wicks. These will float and look so pretty. The bottoms are rounded so I put on my warning labels to  put sand in a clay saucer nestle the coconut shell in the sand and surround with sea shells or float them in a galvanized tub with flowers.

100_1123smaller.jpg. I100_1717smaller.jpg

• Like 3

I've used hollowed out bic pens and hot glue to set my wicks and wooden skewers to hold them in place for about 10 years and never had a problem.  That being said, I single wick everything.  if I double or triple wicked it might be a different story.

Edited by nursenancy
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, puma52 said:

I use the single EZ Wick Setter for the 8 oz square masons, 12 and 21 oz status jars, 16 oz masons, 4 oz flower pots, 4 oz jelly jars, votive cups etc and I use the multi for the 22 oz thumbprint jars, 8 oz comfort jars , 16 oz comfort jars and 24 oz comfort jar, 11 and 22 oz tureen jars and have triple wicked a larger heavy glass candle container(see below). The EZ Wick Setters are just a cinch to use and saves a lot of time when pouring several scents and jars. :) I put votive wicks in these EZ Wick Setters for votives and use two votive wicks in the multi for the coconut shell candles - see below. I buy the coconut shell halves that BCN carries. I coat the outside and inside of the shell with Modge Podge to seal the shell, let dry then double wick w/votive wicks. These will float and look so pretty. The bottoms are rounded so I put on my warning labels to  put sand in a clay saucer nestle the coconut shell in the sand and surround with sea shells or float them in a galvanized tub with flowers.

100_1123smaller.jpg. I100_1717smaller.jpg

WOW!  They all look so pretty!

Goldie

• Like 3