Candle Science Fragrance Oils

YAMS

I have developed an enormous trust for candle science FOs.  What do most of you consider to be staple FOs from them?  I know for sure I have a three that I will make mine: Mcintosh Apple, Mediterranean Fig and Amber Noir some of mine. Which ones are great performers for you? Strong scented? Thanks guys 

• Like 1

So many.  Apple Maple Bourbon, Snickerdoodle, Fraser Fir, Spring Rain, Violet Lime, Black Currant Tea, Pink Magnolia Blossom, Cotton Tree, Christmas Hearth, and Vanilla Hazelnut are my current favorites.  I could go on and on.  They have so many great ones.

• Like 1

In  464 these are super throwers:

Apple Harvest

Apple Clover

Apple Maple Bourbon

Black Raspberry Vanilla

Christmas Hearth

Coriander and Tonka

Cranberry Marmalade

Frasier Fir

Fresh Coffee

Gardenia

Hazelnut Coffee

Hollyberry

Honey Dew Melon

Honeysuckle

Lavender

Lemon Verbena

Mac Apple 

Mistletoe

Mulled Cider & Chestnuts

Orange Chili Pepper

Peach Nectar

Pumpkin Pie

Strawberry Shortcake

Vanilla Hazelnut

Trappeur

• Like 3

14 hours ago, bfroberts said:

So many.  Apple Maple Bourbon, Snickerdoodle, Fraser Fir, Spring Rain, Violet Lime, Black Currant Tea, Pink Magnolia Blossom, Cotton Tree, Christmas Hearth, and Vanilla Hazelnut are my current favorites.  I could go on and on.  They have so many great ones.

Thanks BFRoberts.   I already tried Frasier Fir at 6% and the HT is not very good.  I will order another sample and increase the FO%.  I also have Christmas Hearth and will make it this week.  Thanks for the input.  I took note of all the ones you listed.  

14 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Apple Harvest

Apple Clover

Apple Maple Bourbon 

Black Raspberry Vanilla - ORDERED

Christmas Hearth - READY TO TEST

Coriander and Tonka - ORDERED

Cranberry Marmalade - READY TO TEST

Frasier Fir - DIDN'T WORK TO WELL AT 6% - WHAT % DO YOU USE

Fresh Coffee

Gardenia

Hazelnut Coffee

Hollyberry

Honey Dew Melon

Honeysuckle - READY TO TEST 

Lavender 

Lemon Verbena

Mac Apple - MY FAVORITE OF ALL FOs SO FAR!!!!!!!!! 

Mistletoe - ORDERED 

Mulled Cider & Chestnuts

Orange Chili Pepper

Peach Nectar

Pumpkin Pie

Strawberry Shortcake

Vanilla Hazelnut

Trappeur

Hi Trappeur.   I am glad you mentioned these.  See my notes next to some of the names you provided.   The rest I will order to sample them also.  This is very helpful.  I use 4627 wax but I am sure they are good performers and may also work well on mine. Thanks a million!!! Very helpful 

47 minutes ago, YAMS said:

Thanks BFRoberts.   I already tried Frasier Fir at 6% and the HT is not very good.  I will order another sample and increase the FO%.  I also have Christmas Hearth and will make it this week.  Thanks for the input.  I took note of all the ones you listed.  

Have you given any of your candles to anyone else to test?  I cannot wrap my head around Fraser Fir not throwing in 4627.  I haven't used 4627, but I've put this FO in 6006, palm, 4630 and my tart blend which is 4625 and 4630, and it was a superstar in all of those waxes.  I cannot imagine it would not throw in 4627.  Have you tried other wick types?  I use HTP's in 4630.  I would think they would work well in 4627, too.

By the way, I was just looking over Trappeurs list, and the Sweet Orange & Chili Pepper is a nose hair burner for me.  That might be a good one to try also.  

Edited by bfroberts
  • Like 3

I soap so my choices are a little more limited, BUT... These are the ones I have to have on hand: 

Pomegranate Cider

Red Current 

Jamaica Me Crazy

Cucumber Mint

Himalayan Bamboo

Citron and Mandarin

Ginger and Red Saffron

I also really like:

Pumpkin Pie

Snickerdoodle 

Black Sea

Strawberry Shortcake

Ocean Breeze

Coconut

Pine Cone

Blue Spruce

Mistletoe

Frasier Fir

Sea Mist

Vetiver (This one may end up in my stock list)

Mediterranean Fig

Fig and Brown Sugar

Holly Berry

Juniper Breeze

Christmas Tree

I love the smell of Christmas Hearth, but I can't use it in soap... (Which SUCKS) 

Their Plumeria and Bayberry are nice as well... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bfroberts said:

Have you given any of your candles to anyone else to test?  I cannot wrap my head around Fraser Fir not throwing in 4627.  I haven't used 4627, but I've put this FO in 6006, palm, 4630 and my tart blend which is 4625 and 4630, and it was a superstar in all of those waxes.  I cannot imagine it would not throw in 4627.  Have you tried other wick types?  I use HTP's in 4630.  I would think they would work well in 4627, too.

By the way, I was just looking over Trappeurs list, and the Sweet Orange & Chili Pepper is a nose hair burner for me.  That might be a good one to try also.  

BFRoberts,

That's the way I felt too about Frasier Fir.   That's why I think it is something I did differently because I have gotten very strong HT with other less potent fragrances.....  I only  added 9% FO and I mostly use 11% with my wax but I doubt that 9% would make such a difference for the negative.   I see a lot of you use even 6% with this wax and the HT reviews are great.    That's what one of the giveaways for me because I couldn't believe this FO wouldn't throw well.   I haven't tried other wicks except for the LX series.  I have read so much good stuff about Zinc that I decided to stick with it and work with it.   I hear HTPs curve a bit??   

1 hour ago, Trappeur said:

I was just going to ask you what wax you were using.....and you said it...4627.

Oh, I do 6% in all my candles.  You asked about Frasier Fir.

Trappeur

Frasier Fir smells so strong out of the bottle that it is doubtful that it would have such poor HT.  It has to be something I did wrong :-(.  Thanks Trappeur

19 minutes ago, YAMS said:

BFRoberts,

That's the way I felt too about Frasier Fir.   That's why I think it is something I did differently because I have gotten very strong HT with other less potent fragrances.....  I only  added 9% FO and I mostly use 11% with my wax but I doubt that 9% would make such a difference for the negative.   I see a lot of you use even 6% with this wax and the HT reviews are great.    That's what one of the giveaways for me because I couldn't believe this FO wouldn't throw well.   I haven't tried other wicks except for the LX series.  I have read so much good stuff about Zinc that I decided to stick with it and work with it.   I hear HTPs curve a bit??   

Yes, HTP's are self trimming so they do curl.  Not a problem really.  I wick a little cool so the container doesn't get too hot on one side, and any hang up melts off as the candle burns down.

• Like 1

I use a good many Candle Science fo--some for cp soap and others for candles. I normally don't buy the 1 oz but did get a few new ones during their recent 1 oz sale to put in 4625 pillars.  I've been testing banana nut bread and Black Sea but can't quite make up my mind whether to produce with these.  Anyone use these for candles.

Beach Linen is one of my favorites for candles, and I use this for my pillars that I embed with seashells.

• Like 1

Well the only things I can think about is...how long did they cure...(very important).  Also you might try backing down to  6%.  Could be clogging the wick.  Then  maybe you need to change to a different style wick.  Final thing is the fragrance maybe is just not compatable...Hard to believe, but maybe so.

Trappeur

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Luci said:

I use a good many Candle Science fo--some for cp soap and others for candles. I normally don't buy the 1 oz but did get a few new ones during their recent 1 oz sale to put in 4625 pillars.  I've been testing banana nut bread and Black Sea but can't quite make up my mind whether to produce with these.  Anyone use these for candles.

Beach Linen is one of my favorites for candles, and I use this for my pillars that I embed with seashells.

Lucy, I just tried Black Sea (not burned yet) but the smell is amazing.   Great scent.  Not sure that I will be happy with the HT based on how they smell now but we will see.   

• Like 1

I'm getting what I consider a decent HT for this type of fragrance. My main concern is that so many customers expect a HT to fill a cathedral, and this type of scent just isn't going to do that.  This year I'm on a tighter than usual budget and have to be more careful.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/16/2016 at 9:37 PM, YAMS said:

I have developed an enormous trust for candle science FOs.  What do most of you consider to be staple FOs from them?  I know for sure I have a three that I will make mine: Mcintosh Apple, Mediterranean Fig and Amber Noir some of mine. Which ones are great performers for you? Strong scented? Thanks guys 

wish I had seen this sooner. Blood Orange. very strong and great scent, imo. I ordered cranberry marmalade and their apple harvest. I can get back with you on that.

thanks for sharing your three. I'll try them next time.

jmh

• Like 1

On 10/16/2016 at 11:23 PM, Trappeur said:

Apple Harvest

Apple Clover

Apple Maple Bourbon

Black Raspberry Vanilla

Christmas Hearth

Coriander and Tonka

Cranberry Marmalade

Frasier Fir

Fresh Coffee

Gardenia

Hazelnut Coffee

Hollyberry

Honey Dew Melon

Honeysuckle

Lavender

Lemon Verbena

Mac Apple 

Mistletoe

Mulled Cider & Chestnuts

Orange Chili Pepper

Peach Nectar

Pumpkin Pie

Strawberry Shortcake

Vanilla Hazelnut

Trappeur

thanks for that list. I'll try a few of them. I recently started making candles and I have been using Candle Science. One that I have tried which I like a lot is Blood Orange. great scent and very strong.

jmh

55 minutes ago, Jul said:

wish I had seen this sooner. Blood Orange. very strong and great scent, imo. I ordered cranberry marmalade and their apple harvest. I can get back with you on that.

thanks for sharing your three. I'll try them next time.

jmh

Thanks Jul.  I'll be trying those as well.  

On 10/20/2016 at 3:59 PM, Luci said:

I would love to see one of your pillars with seashells - sounds beautiful ! Ive always wanted to try pillars - maybe one day :) 

• 3 months later...

Here are some of my impressions of FO samples received today from CS. I ordered 23 of them. Some are scents I already have, and just adding to the stash. Some are scents I had no clue about, and was just curious. (What is a Vetiver anyway?)

Out of the Bottle impressions of CS scents new to me, in no particular order:

-Vetiver. People like this scent. lol? It must be a mixer. mildly acrid.

-Plumeria. OK. There must be something better out there. Only vaguely like any real life Plumeria I've smelled.

-Egyptian Amber. I've smelled that scent before. I like it. Nice.

-Lemon verbena. Smells more like those lemon drop hard candies. Flamings is much better.

-Very vanilla. Very good. Right near the top of my favorite vanilla scents. Would buy again.

-Fraser fir. Nice conifer scent. Not quite like our western Christmas trees which I'm looking for, but a real tree scent.

-Pine cones. OK conifer scent. Nothing off about it. Maybe a little sweetness to it.

-Christmas tree. Not horrible. Not great. It will get used.

-Blue spruce. Really like this one. To my nose, it edges out the Fraser fir. But they are the two winners in the conifer throw-down.

-Cinnamon vanilla. Quite nice. More cinnamon than vanilla. Would make a nice 'cinnamon toast'.

-Nag Champa. The adventure continues. Smells like hotel soap

-Fireside. more like 'after the fire is out'. Not unpleasant, but not very strong. I think it might get lost mixed with other scents.

-Vanilla hazelnut. I really like this one. Best of these samples. Nice nutty scent, plus good vanilla. OOB of course.

-Lavender chamomile. Plain lavender is much better. This will probably get mixed with other lavender sample orphans.

-Jamaica Me Crazy. I had no clue about his one. Over-riding grapefruit scent, which is not my favorite.

-Caramelized Pralines. Quite yummy. Thumbs up.

-Cedarwood vanilla. Smells more like wet cedar ashes.

Darn... that was the last of the new ones. I want more...

In general, I'm quite pleased with my order of never before tried samples. Very few real stinkers.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Incendia said:

Here are some of my impressions of FO samples received today from CS. I ordered 23 of them. Some are scents I already have, and just adding to the stash. Some are scents I had no clue about, and was just curious. (What is a Vetiver anyway?)

Out of the Bottle impressions of CS scents new to me, in no particular order:

-Vetiver. People like this scent. lol? It must be a mixer. mildly acrid.

-Plumeria. OK. There must be something better out there. Only vaguely like any real life Plumeria I've smelled.

-Egyptian Amber. I've smelled that scent before. I like it. Nice.

-Lemon verbena. Smells more like those lemon drop hard candies. Flamings is much better.

-Very vanilla. Very good. Right near the top of my favorite vanilla scents. Would buy again.

-Fraser fir. Nice conifer scent. Not quite like our western Christmas trees which I'm looking for, but a real tree scent.

-Pine cones. OK conifer scent. Nothing off about it. Maybe a little sweetness to it.

-Christmas tree. Not horrible. Not great. It will get used.

-Blue spruce. Really like this one. To my nose, it edges out the Fraser fir. But they are the two winners in the conifer throw-down.

-Cinnamon vanilla. Quite nice. More cinnamon than vanilla. Would make a nice 'cinnamon toast'.

-Nag Champa. The adventure continues. Smells like hotel soap

-Fireside. more like 'after the fire is out'. Not unpleasant, but not very strong. I think it might get lost mixed with other scents.

-Vanilla hazelnut. I really like this one. Best of these samples. Nice nutty scent, plus good vanilla. OOB of course.

-Lavender chamomile. Plain lavender is much better. This will probably get mixed with other lavender sample orphans.

-Jamaica Me Crazy. I had no clue about his one. Over-riding grapefruit scent, which is not my favorite.

-Caramelized Pralines. Quite yummy. Thumbs up.

-Cedarwood vanilla. Smells more like wet cedar ashes.

Darn... that was the last of the new ones. I want more...

In general, I'm quite pleased with my order of never before tried samples. Very few real stinkers.

I mixed vanilla with the Caramelized Pralines and it smells like butter pecan ice-cream to my nose lol ! which is one of my favorite ice-cream flavors ! 

I too like the cinnamon vanilla and vanilla hazelnut :) Did you try the orange blossom by chance ? Another one i really like is the blood orange.

4 hours ago, Moonstar said:

I mixed vanilla with the Caramelized Pralines and it smells like butter pecan ice-cream to my nose lol ! which is one of my favorite ice-cream flavors ! 

I too like the cinnamon vanilla and vanilla hazelnut :) Did you try the orange blossom by chance ? Another one i really like is the blood orange.

Some of these new (to me) CS scents that you mention are really nice. :) 

As for the orange blossom, I did have it in my cart, but it is a fragrance that requires more expensive shipping, so I removed it. I've had mixed results with orange type FOs. Half of the time, my nose picks up a grapefruit aspect that is a turn-off, so I am less likely to take a risk with them. That's too bad because I love the scent of real orange blossoms. I did order one from Peaks that was spot-on however. I love that one.

I know people have different senses of smell. And that our taste and olfactory senses influence one another. About 25% of the population are 'super tasters' because of more taste buds per unit area on their tongues. I am one. We are the people who hate dislike the taste of arugula, Brussel sprouts, coffee, beer, grapefruit, black licorice, hard liquor etc. We also prefer milk to dark chocolate, and white wine over red. It's not a fool-proof list, of course. I wonder how much this affects which FO people like me like/dislike. Since I can pick up an 'unpleasant' grapefruit scent in some scents sold as 'orange', I wonder what else is influenced because of this.