An offering to the high prelate to beg a blessing...

Sponiebr

Where, or how, does one determine if a pigment is ok for use in soaps? Is it a specific blessing that the Feral Demagoguery Agency bestows upon a specific product or is it the substance itself that qualifies it as blessed or damned? For instance: Pure Chromium oxide III from "XYZ inc" is known to be "safe" because XYZ inc sells soap making schtuff. ACME corp. also has pure Chromium oxide III for concrete colorant. The products from both companies are both pure, true, worthy, have the same particle size, and (gasp) they have THE SAME NAMES!!!!! You say coincidence, I say serendipity... SO, is ACME's product ok use in soaps/bath/bubbles/and beyond? Which is ok? Which is not ok? Did the word "concrete" affect your feelings on this subject? If so please explain in exactly 20 consonants. If not, please re-read the above again until a feeling is obtained...  

Along the same lines, where DOES one find out what the actual oxides are that soap safe materials retailers sell? TiO3, Cr2O3 III, α-Fe2O3  (red) β-Fe2O3 (yellow), and Sodium alumina sulphosilicate I know. I know there are not many other ones out there... but still, what about trace metals in iron oxides, you know like, copper, tin, or nickel?  I realize that they might turn funky colors later on, (I'm thinking of a mica... right now.) but, would they be unsafe?  

In the immortal words of Frank Bartles:

"Thank you for your support."

-Sponie

I believe if you request an MSDS sheet from the supplier, or look that up, that will have all the chemical components and make up of the materials. As far as how something gets designated as skin safe or not, I believe (but am not sure) that is the FD&C agency. I used to know this, and have in one of my many binders specifying what is what, but I'm getting the point in my timeline where my mind likes to go on little mini-vacations without informing me as to when it is going, or when it might be back. LOL 

A refresher course might be in order for me. :)

Edited by Jcandleattic
  • Like 1