Latest Bath Fizzies

Jcandleattic

Thanks Ken. This is a recipe I created on my own after months of testing. I finally got it right, and these will fizz for about 7-9 minutes, float and spin. I usually use FO's instead of EO's but got a bug, so decided to use some EO's. Glad I did, it is a fantastic blend! 

2 hours ago, Moonstar said:

These are so darn pretty ! 

I love lavender & lemon too 

just never thought of adding lime in the mix . I'm still baffled at how you get them to fizz for so long 

not to mention spin & float ??

your the bath bomb fairy :)

love seeing your pics keep em coming !

It's an amazing scent combo. 

I made a soap not too long ago that was a lemon/lavender and it smelled great. 

I wanted to make a purple, green and yellow fizzie, so this is why I added the lime, and man-o-man, it is amazing. I need to make a soap in this combo for sure... 

As far as floating goes, I use a little cornstarch in my fizzies, which in reality adds nothing to the fizzie other than it's a filler ingredient and it helps the fizzies float. 

The spinning is created by packing one side of the mold a tad tighter than the other side - in my press I achieve this by filling the bottom then pressing down on the powder a little before filling the rest and using the press. 

And really if you can get them to spin, floating is really just a by product, so in reality floating and spinning is more of an end result of the molding technique more so than the recipe. 

• Like 2

I was just following along and WOW!  Thanks Jcandleattic for that tidbit of info about packing.  I wondered why some of mine were spinners and some were not.  Turns out, the spinning was a happy accident.  I'm stoked to make some more. Now that I've finally figured out how to make decent bombs, I can work on making show stoppers!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moonstar said:

Now I'll have to check out pressing machines, how cool that you have one ! Dumb question, but I bet they are expensive ! 

Honestly, lavender + lemon combined is one of my favorite scents. Thanks for the great tips :) 

They are very expensive. The ones at Soap Equipment are probably the best quality I've seen, but to get the press, plus the 2 additional sized molds you are looking almost $1000.00 - I had mine handmade and the quality is very good, and I got it for a very good price, and I still paid a lot. LOL

• Like 2

When I get home from work I will have to look these up, in my minds eye they seem like they would be an easy diy project that involves a sturdy sphere cut into two halves that are then attached to a homemade press, here I am thinking either like an arbor press or like a tire bead breaker.  You would fill the bottom half of the sphere to a little overflowing and the top one flush and then press together.  I know guys are kind of a rarity on this forum and some of you have no idea what I am talking about, but maybe over Columbus day long weekend I can make one when I am making another soap mold and I can do up a tutorial on it if it works.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jcandleattic said:

They are very expensive. The ones at Soap Equipment are probably the best quality I've seen, but to get the press, plus the 2 additional sized molds you are looking almost $1000.00 - I had mine handmade and the quality is very good, and I got it for a very good price, and I still paid a lot. LOL

Whoa !!!! One better be selling a boat load of bath fizzles to buy one of those lol ! How cool that you even own one of those babies lol ! I bet it works

just as good as the  more expensive. Do you do more lavender or lemon in your blend. I do almost 50 -50 + then add a few drops more of lavender.

7 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

Whoa !!!! One better be selling a boat load of bath fizzles to buy one of those lol ! How cool that you even own one of those babies lol ! I bet it works

just as good as the  more expensive. Do you do more lavender or lemon in your blend. I do almost 50 -50 + then add a few drops more of lavender.

I did a 1:1:1 ratio on my LLL, and a 1:1 on the Lemon Lavender. Lavender FO gives me a migraine every single time, but for some reason the EO doesn't, even though I abhor the scent. It is so awful to me! However, in this blend it's nice and isn't so overpowering. 

26 minutes ago, WanderlustSoaps said:

When I get home from work I will have to look these up, in my minds eye they seem like they would be an easy diy project that involves a sturdy sphere cut into two halves that are then attached to a homemade press, here I am thinking either like an arbor press or like a tire bead breaker.  You would fill the bottom half of the sphere to a little overflowing and the top one flush and then press together.  I know guys are kind of a rarity on this forum and some of you have no idea what I am talking about, but maybe over Columbus day long weekend I can make one when I am making another soap mold and I can do up a tutorial on it if it works.

Yes, it is something very much like that, (they way you fill them is a little different than described but all in all, similar, and the way you described would work!) and, no, it wouldn't be hard to make, but the time and materials, that's where the cost comes in. I didn't feel like trying to make it myself or get my hub to make it for me (I'd be waiting until I was on my death bed probably if that were the case!! HA) so I just commissioned one to be made for me. Took about 10 days. Supposedly they are all made to order and not pre-made before ordering. Don't know if I believe that, but what difference does it make, really? I got what I wanted and that's what I care about. LOL 

• Like 2

Ok, so I looked some up, and wow those are impressive especially the pneumatic ones.  So my mechanical mind immediately went into overdrive thinking of how one of those could be made DIY and on the cheap, here is what I am thinking.  Obviously a base to hold things in place, I would do two layers of plywood so one could have a hole in it big enough for the cylinder to fit into so that it does not wander on you.  Also obvious there would have to be a tall shaft that your press is attached to, I am thinking a 2x4 though maybe a 4x4 for rigidity.  The cylinder would most likely be PVC and here is the cool part, for the bowls, I think I have a good shot at finding metal Ladles that the handle could be ground off of that would fit snugly inside the PVC pipe.  Now add a hinged lever and a press, then your off to the races.  I will shop around this weekend and see what I can come up with.  Here is a quick pic of a ladle I found on restaurantsupply.com for a buck 99.

ldi-8_winco-1.jpg

Edited by WanderlustSoaps

5 minutes ago, heartsong said:

:) This is my solution to my bath bomb fizzles...works great, but she is now out of business...I think the Soap Wizards still carry them?

Does this create the sphere bombs or more of a cylinder?  What do you think people want more?  If you dont have to have the spheres making a DIY press mold would be much easier.

This makes a tablet...very, very hard, so no crumbles or warts and fizzes a long time.  It makes a round tablet tablet any thickness you want...all it is is a 2" PVC tube with a dowel. when it is filled to the size you want it, then you gently tap a few times with a hammer...tablet becomes rock hard.

Edited by heartsong

2 hours ago, WanderlustSoaps said:

Does this create the sphere bombs or more of a cylinder?  What do you think people want more?  If you dont have to have the spheres making a DIY press mold would be much easier.

I was selling the round bath bombs, I think the 2" diam and they were selling every week.  She switched her mold to the PVC, and they are much bigger for the same price but now I haven't sold 1 in 6 weeks??  I don't get it but I guess people aren't relating the shape to a bath bomb?  I need a big sign to see if they will start selling again.