Hello World...

WanderlustSoaps

Well Hello Everyone,

My name is Ken and I’m stationed in Virginia, USA. A little about me, then how I got the soaping bug. I have been in the US Navy for 20+ years now. Started as a Nuclear Engineer, then a Steam Engineer, and for the last 14 years I have been a Gas Turbine Engine (Jet Engine on a ship) Mechanic. My time has endured 7 deployments ranging between 7 to 10.5 months and has seen me all around the world a couple of times. Along the way I met the love of my life Danielle and I have two wonderful daughters Krysta (17) and Kayla (15).

Two months ago after watching a youtube video I had decided that I would make some bath bombs for my anniversary. When looking online for Essential Oils I went to Essential Depot which I use for some of the other things I make. While looking around their site just out of curiosity I clicked the soap making tab and they had a video, which led to another, and another, and the hook was set. In the couple of months I have lingered around here, watched hours of youtube videos and read several books to include "The everything soapmaking book" by Alicia Grossso, "Soap Crafting" by Anne-Marie Faiola, and "The Soapmaker's Companion" by Susan Miller Cavitch. So far I have only made two 4 pound batches of Oatmeal, Milk and Honey soap, but more will follow soon. Someday, probably 3 years or so from now, I think I would like to own a business making and selling soaps / bath and body products, when and if I ever get there I think I want to call the business... Wanderlust Soaps.

My wife likes to say when I start a new hobby I go full Nerd cause I do a ton of research, read everything and watch so many youtube videos. I also love MS Excel and although I like soapcalc it’s a PITA to save recipes, I also wanted an offline version, so after looking at the three versions of soapsheet.xls and noticing it had not been updated since 2005 I spent two weeks modifying it and think I have it about done, just need to rewrite the FAQ / directions, if anyone wants it PM me and I will email it, eventually I will get it hosted and put a link here somewhere, I just want to test it more and make sure there are no little mistakes (testers welcome, feedback appreciated). Here is a screenshot. And with that my introduction is over. Thank you for having me and for all the great info I have found on the site already.

Soapsheet.jpg

Edited by WanderlustSoaps
  • Like 4

Welcome man! Good to have another dude on here that makes soap!

Just looking at your screenshot, I see there isn't any measurements in grams. Even though I'm in the States, and my molds are in ounces, etc..., personally, I like to work in metric whenever possible. Looks good though, and I'd like to try it out, because this makes more sense than the .rtf document that I have going on.  

Slainte,

Sponie

EDT: Oh, yeah! I just did an experimental hydrated oat flour, honey, goat's milk soap a couple of days ago. Jury's still out on whether or not it's going to be a good soap or not.  Details are under the general soap making sub forum "A Glut of Water" http://www.craftserver.com/topic/109213-a-glut-of-water/#comment-1024338

Edited by Sponiebr
OMH soap comment.
  • Like 3

Welcome!  I am sure you will love it here, so many knowledgeable people who are willing to share and help out!  Soap making has caught my interest lately as well, inspired by the Soap of the month forum.  Be sure to check it out if you haven't already - would love to have your recipe calculator... will PM you... 

• Like 2

Hi Ken! Welcome to Craft Server! Glad to have another soaper among us. I think in some ways we all go a bit nerdy when it comes to soapmaking.

Another program you may want to check out is the Soapmaker program. Especially if you want to go into business.

Anyway I am a complete nut when it comes to spreadsheets. I can whip one up in just minutes and have spreadsheets for everything for my soap and candle business from recipes, to supplies, budgets, taxes, billing, etc. I like to know how much I spend, how much things cost me, how my supplies are doing, and anything I can think of to put in a spreadsheet. LOL

I also wanted to say thanks for your work in the Navy and for helping keep us all safe! Hope you are liking Virginia. I live in the Shenandoah Valley now but for years I lived and worked in the DC area before I moved to the valley here. This area is full of history and if you are a Civil War buff the valley is a great place to visit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sponiebr said:

Just looking at your screenshot, I see there isn't any measurements in grams...

Sponiebr,

I will include this in the directions, but if you look in the upper right corner of the picture there is a grey button that says "Convert Measurements", this is used to switch between imperial and metric measurements, and it will do the conversion for you plus it changes all the labels, here is what it looks like in metric.  Also for those that sent me a PM already, I am actively working on writing the instructions and should have the file out to you soon.

Soapsheet Metric.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Candybee said:

Hi Ken! Welcome to Craft Server!...

Another program you may want to check out is the Soapmaker ...

Anyway I am a complete nut when it comes to spreadsheets. ...

I also wanted to say thanks for your work in the Navy and for helping keep us all safe! Hope you are liking Virginia. I live in the Shenandoah Valley now but for years I lived and worked in the DC area before I moved to the valley here. This area is full of history and if you are a Civil War buff the valley is a great place to visit.

Candybee, Thank you for the warm welcome and your support of our Armed Forces.  I have looked into Soapmaker3 and love the look of it but until I know for sure that this is going to be more than a passing hobby I really dont want to spend any more money on things other than ingredients and equipment.  I wish they still had a free trial but thats ok, with the amount of work I have put into Soapsheet it does just about everything I could possibly want from it for now.  When / If I ever do actually make it to the point I can start a business I will probably look into it and compare what I can get from it versus my soapsheet and quickbooks.  I am never satisfied though and am sure that I will continue to update the sheet and  I hope you try it out and give me some feedback on it since you are also an Excel nut.

Thank everyone else that has already given me such a wonderful welcome, I am glad to be here and hope to contribute back to all the people that I have already learned so much from.

Ken

• Like 2

I hear ya. I tend to like my spreadsheets more and would rather tweak them to fix or add things. I bought the Soapmaker Program because I have been in the biz and selling soap for going on 10 yrs now. Lots of soapers really love using it and its a great program not for just making soap but for the business side of making and selling soap. Like you thou I still like to use my spreadsheets as I am used to them.

Hi Ken! I am very impressed with your speadsheets. I use to / have started again using speadsheets for my candles (yours are so much nicer looking). My husband Ken also does some bath products at this time (due to his disability) I have him working on M&P soap, it is a nice compliment to my candles.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2016 at 10:23 PM, PixieJ said:

Hi Ken! I am very impressed with your speadsheets. I use to / have started again using speadsheets for my candles...

My husband Ken also does some bath products...

Hi PixieJ, Awesome, I tried candles once and loved it but had to stop due to a move, I keep thinking of going back.  If you like my spreadsheets and need any help with ones you are working on, just let me know.  I love how much Excel can do, but typically I think people only use a fraction of its power, myself included.

On 9/24/2016 at 2:09 AM, Scented said:

Welcome aboard, Ken! By all means thank you for your service! So how did you come to be in the Navy? How long have you been soaping? P.S. There's no such thing as nerdy here lol! 

Hey Scented,  Thank you so much for your support of the Armed Forces.  As for how I joined the Navy, well I come from a pretty poor family in West Virginia, so it seemed like Coal Mines or military service.  All the men in my family have served and I knew I would follow that tradition, my brother went into the Navy and I loved the thought of fulfilling both my military service and my desire to travel.  Only been soaping for about three weeks, actually making the soap that is, been lurking on forums and reading everything plus watching youtube nonstop for about two months more.  I am very excited to make a couple more batches and to come up with a staple recipe before I ever get into colors and designs, but that seems like an awesome part of soaping and I cant wait.

4 hours ago, WanderlustSoaps said:

Hi PixieJ, Awesome, I tried candles once and loved it but had to stop due to a move, I keep thinking of going back.  If you like my spreadsheets and need any help with ones you are working on, just let me know.  I love how much Excel can do, but typically I think people only use a fraction of its power, myself included.

Hey Scented,  Thank you so much for your support of the Armed Forces.  As for how I joined the Navy, well I come from a pretty poor family in West Virginia, so it seemed like Coal Mines or military service.  All the men in my family have served and I knew I would follow that tradition, my brother went into the Navy and I loved the thought of fulfilling both my military service and my desire to travel.  Only been soaping for about three weeks, actually making the soap that is, been lurking on forums and reading everything plus watching youtube nonstop for about two months more.  I am very excited to make a couple more batches and to come up with a staple recipe before I ever get into colors and designs, but that seems like an awesome part of soaping and I cant wait.

A great big thanks from me too for your service :) 

Puma52, Moonstar, Heartsong, and Kandlekrazy... Thank you all so much for the warm welcome, and for your support.  There have been times in the last two decades plus that it has been really hard, but support from my family and comments from wonderful people like all of you have made the decision to make it a career so much easier and more able to be accepted.

1 hour ago, heartsong said:

:) Welcome, Ken!  And thank you for your service. There's a very nice group of soapers & chandlers here...they're very supportive and creative. 

I don't know if it is just me but I absolutely love when candle crafter's are called Chandlers, fills me with joy and it is so good to know people still keep old traditions alive.

• Like 1