Regarding Lip Balm bases, ...

Clear Black

Is it legally ok to package and resell bases as your own? Meaning, if I purchase a base in bulk, add flavor oil, Vit E, and maybe Lanolin, package it in tubes with my label, can I then by legal terms resell that as my own brand Lip Balm? For the sake of this topic, I know I should be making my own base,but I am only curious at this point about the answer to this question. I have tried many times to make my own base, about 20 different recipes, and have not come up with anything I would use on my lips.

Reason I ask is because I plan on making a bunch of lip balms using this base: http://www.bulkapothecary.com/lip-balm-base/ I have tried it out, it is rather nice, and plan on making a few batches for family and friends. At the same time, I have the opportunity to place a few retail boxes in a store that my brother owns. So while I am trying to decide to make more recipes and try and create my own base I wanted to get this question answered.

TLDR; Do any of you buy Lip Balm bases in bulk, then package and resell in tubes as your own brand?

Thanks. CB

• Like 1

I use bases for lip balm and melt & pour soap.  I have always called them my own and handmade by me.  I do add some of my own ingredients to each and thus change the "recipe", but even if you just use as is and repackage, you are still creating the finished product, so why not call it your own. 

3 hours ago, heartsong said:

Hi there!  I use Bulk Apothecary's lipbalm base, too and love it!  And yes, I call it my own, too. I use is for a skin balm, a lotion stick, lip balm and solid perfume by just adding my own ingredients to the base.

Oh wow! Ok, that makes me feel better. 

How do you like BA's base anyways? What does it compare to? Im wondering with the beeswax how similar it is to a Burts style lip balm. Im not looking to clone theirs, but at the same time I do use it daily and would like to make my own at home with something "in the ballpark" in terms of feel

17 minutes ago, Clear Black said:

Oh wow! Ok, that makes me feel better. 

How do you like BA's base anyways? What does it compare to? Im wondering with the beeswax how similar it is to a Burts style lip balm. Im not looking to clone theirs, but at the same time I do use it daily and would like to make my own at home with something "in the ballpark" in terms of feel

:) IMHO, BA's lipbalm base is the best bang for the buck and as I mentioned before, it is multi-purpose...so I have to ask myself, "why keep trying to re-invent the wheel?"  It would cost extra me time and money to tinker around trying to make something comparable.

Here's a wonderful creamy skin balm for dry skin and nail cuticle:

1 part (1 oz) almond oil (or fractionated coconut oil for a drier feel)

3 part (3 oz) lip balm base.

add fragrance of choice.

pour into 4 oz jar

Organic Cocoa Butter lotion stick:

1 part (2oz) Raw cocoa butter (or unscented)

1 part (2oz) lip balm base

pour into 2 deodorant stick twist-up tubes....nice soft white chocolate scent.

:biggrin:

• Like 4

On 9/5/2016 at 7:42 PM, heartsong said:

:) IMHO, BA's lipbalm base is the best bang for the buck and as I mentioned before, it is multi-purpose...so I have to ask myself, "why keep trying to re-invent the wheel?"  It would cost extra me time and money to tinker around trying to make something comparable.

Here's a wonderful creamy skin balm for dry skin and nail cuticle:

1 part (1 oz) almond oil (or fractionated coconut oil for a drier feel)

3 part (3 oz) lip balm base.

add fragrance of choice.

pour into 4 oz jar

Organic Cocoa Butter lotion stick:

1 part (2oz) Raw cocoa butter (or unscented)

1 part (2oz) lip balm base

pour into 2 deodorant stick twist-up tubes....nice soft white chocolate scent.

:biggrin:

Check your inbox. Have a few more questions for you :D