12 cavity clamshells

Guest OldGlory

Guest OldGlory
1 hour ago, Moonstar said:

OldGlory I emailed them + they were kind enough to send me a sample of the 12 cavity. Cant wait to get this .Thanks again for sharing the link :) 

From what I see extra L clamshells like this or similar sell for around $10 .. does that seem about right ? So when you sell larger ones like this OG 

you then don't offer a traditional 4 or 6 cavity ... am I understanding you correctly ? 

I don't really know what they sell for because the one I found wasn't filled up. That tart maker only filled the individual cavities, no overpour. I currently retail the bags shown above in the picture. My wholesale client buys the large 6 cavity clamshell from me, which holds 6 oz., and that's the only tart/melt they carry. They carry candles also.

My prices are probably lower than most because I pay no shipping - I pick up my orders at Aztec which is about 30 miles from me. I pick up $400-$800 worth of supplies at a time generally, so the $4 it costs in gas barely has an impact on my overall costs. For retail pricing I use a 3x cost or 4x cost pricing structure, and for wholesale I use a 2x cost+ structure, and the + part is the up to an additional 5% depending on the labor involved.

For anyone paying for shipping, your prices are going to be higher because your costs are higher. But you also have to consider what the same item currently sells for in your market and you have to try to be competitive. All of my customers know they can buy tarts at Walmart or the Dollar Store, and they don't compare mine to those. But there's a guy at my market that sells the large 6 cavity clamshells for $8, so I know that if I come in a bit under that I'm ok.

Did that answer your question? Shoot back if it didn't lol.

On August 11, 2016 at 11:14 AM, OldGlory said:

Mdthermoform.com will send samples - they've sent me some before. I wanted to circumvent that lag time and buy one or two already made so I could see how full it is, how much it weighs, the overall size, etc. I may just bite the bullet and buy the 400 min. I would go thru that in a few months.

I just received my sample clamshell today - they are great ! Thanks so much for letting me know about them . Love em :) 

Guest OldGlory

Moonstar, when you get one filled will you let me know what the net weight is? Different waxes will weigh a tiny bit differently at the same level of fill but I just want to get a ball park figure. Thanks!

Guest OldGlory

FYI...

Below is a picture of a filled 12 cavity clamshell. It measures about 7.5" long, 3.25" wide, and about an inch deep.

The company that sells the clamshells said the capacity is 6.3 oz. The one below has a whopping 7.2 oz nt wt in it! The wax doesn't touch the lid but it's very full lol! (I covered the label.) 6.5 oz nt wt would still be very full.

IMG_20160825_214853-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest OldGlory

I introduced the 12 cavity clamshell this weekend at my market and customers love them. They looked mesmerized by the sheer size of them - you know, eyes wide, mouth slightly open. They were a big hit!

19 hours ago, OldGlory said:

I introduced the 12 cavity clamshell this weekend at my market and customers love them. They looked mesmerized by the sheer size of them - you know, eyes wide, mouth slightly open. They were a big hit!

How awesome ! So how many 

ounces did they end up holding 

did you introduce fall scents yet

what are your best sellers ?

Guest OldGlory

I am filling with 6.5 oz or a bit more, but calling it 6.5. The company said 6.3, but that was probably a liquid measure/capacity number rather than a weight measurement. Look back a few posts to the one with the picture of the filled clamshell - it holds a LOT!!

I sold about 40% of what I took, so it's hard to pin down a best seller.(went home and worked another 5 hours making more Saturday night) I did introduce a lot of fall fragrances, with yellows, dark reds, browns, etc. Aztec's maple pancakes is a new FO for me and it's a big hit, as is their chocolate brownies, and AFI's sugar cookie. People are ready for fall scents, no doubt.

4 hours ago, OldGlory said:

I am filling with 6.5 oz or a bit more, but calling it 6.5. The company said 6.3, but that was probably a liquid measure/capacity number rather than a weight measurement. Look back a few posts to the one with the picture of the filled clamshell - it holds a LOT!!

I sold about 40% of what I took, so it's hard to pin down a best seller.(went home and worked another 5 hours making more Saturday night) I did introduce a lot of fall fragrances, with yellows, dark reds, browns, etc. Aztec's maple pancakes is a new FO for me and it's a big hit, as is their chocolate brownies, and AFI's sugar cookie. People are ready for fall scents, no doubt.

You've inspired me to make some too - I knew they'd be well 

received, I was super impressed when my samples arrived . 

Btw who is AFI - I'd like to try their sugar cookie. I only have FB sugar cookie Royale. Oh, one question if I may, I've been using 10% FO

pp for wax melts . Is that typical ?

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

AFI is a fragrance supply house, but the smallest amount they sell is 10 lbs. I sell a LOT of sugar cookie, so I was ok with buying 10 lbs of it. My customers love it.

I don't really know what's typical. I use 8% average. Some I can cut back on, some I add a bit more. If you are happy with 10%, stick with it!

I can't believe how much less work these big clamshells are. I should have done this long ago.

On 8/25/2016 at 9:18 PM, OldGlory said:

FYI...

Below is a picture of a filled 12 cavity clamshell. It measures about 7.5" long, 3.25" wide, and about an inch deep.

The company that sells the clamshells said the capacity is 6.3 oz. The one below has a whopping 7.2 oz nt wt in it! The wax doesn't touch the lid but it's very full lol! (I covered the label.) 6.5 oz nt wt would still be very full.

IMG_20160825_214853-1.jpg

Are these soy?  No frosting?

Goldie

Guest OldGlory

They are not soy. For some reason my market customers don't want soy. About once a day someone asks "Those aren't soy are they?"
 I made the switch to a blend of paraffins last fall.

My wholesale client still insists on soy and they frost like crazy.

• 1 month later...
On 9/8/2016 at 8:52 PM, OldGlory said:

They are not soy. For some reason my market customers don't want soy. About once a day someone asks "Those aren't soy are they?"
 I made the switch to a blend of paraffins last fall.

My wholesale client still insists on soy and they frost like crazy.

For your wholesale clients, are you blending something with 464 to get the wax to pop out of the clamshell?  Or am I misreading your post.

Goldie

Guest OldGlory

My wholesale client gets soy at their request, but I use the typical 'large' 6 cavity clamshell for them. The fill is 6.0 oz. They pop out of the container without a hitch using 464 and a 6% FO load. I am not certain, but the clamshells from Aztec might be PET because they look different than the 12 cavity clamshell's plastic which I know is PVC. That could make a difference in the release.

My market melts are in the 12 cavity clamshells, and I use a paraffin blend for them. They literally fall out of the clamshell. Ask me how I know ...*shudder* For these melts I use an 8% FO load.

Sorry for any confusion I've created!

2 hours ago, OldGlory said:

My wholesale client gets soy at their request, but I use the typical 'large' 6 cavity clamshell for them. The fill is 6.0 oz. They pop out of the container without a hitch using 464 and a 6% FO load. I am not certain, but the clamshells from Aztec might be PET because they look different than the 12 cavity clamshell's plastic which I know is PVC. That could make a difference in the release.

My market melts are in the 12 cavity clamshells, and I use a paraffin blend for them. They literally fall out of the clamshell. Ask me how I know ...*shudder* For these melts I use an 8% FO load.

Sorry for any confusion I've created!

Not confused at all.  I got my clamshells from Maple Street; 464 melts wouldn't pop out.  I so wish I could just use my 464!  Next time I order from Aztec, I will try their clamshells.  Thanks!

Goldie

So, is the 12 cavity working out for everyone here who has tried them?  I'm just curious as to whether you switched only to 12's or still carry the 6 cavity?  I can see some scents selling well in the bigger, but not all scents.  Funny how areas are different, shaped melts rarely sell for me in my area.

• 2 years later...
On 8/15/2016 at 10:23 AM, justajesuschick said:

This vendor (not my product and not my pic-online customers post pics of the orders they receive in BIG wax enthusiasts Facebook groups!!) has incredibly beautiful shaped melts. Look at her roses!

CLK roses.jpg

Wow, those are really detailed and took a lot of time. Very pretty and unique.

On 8/10/2016 at 10:12 PM, Moonstar said:

I found these online but didn't read any specifics/ price etc - I didn't even know there was such a thing. Glad you asked, now Im interested in these as well :)

http://candlepackagingusa.com/12-cavity-melt-clamshell-clear-pet.html

https://villagecraftandcandle.com/12-cavity-clam-shell

http://www.candlesandsupplies.net/Candle-Making/Display-Boxes

For anyone reading this post, here's the updated link to the 12 cavity clam shells https://candlepackagingusa.com/product/12-cavity-melt-clamshell-clear-pvc-with-hanger-hole/

• Like 2