August 2016 Soap of the Month

puma52

Oasis Hot Process Spa Sea Salt Soap

large.IMG_0923CROPPEDuse.jpg

I love making hot process soap. I want those who want to try cold process or hot process soapmaking to know that I am not a pro at soapmaking. But, anyone who can read, measure and follow simple safety precautions can make their very own exquisite, luxurious and creamy soap. So, I am here to encourage you to try either of these methods. From the moment I seen those glorious soap bubbles coming from MY first handmade soap, I was hooked and I have never used an over the counter soap since. You will be hooked from the start as I was. Sea salt bars are not the most easily made soap by any means. I have been defeated by this method a couple of times because of the adding of the cool sea salt and two weeks ago was the most recent.  I could have made easier soaps for Soap of the Month, but I considered this a challenge and as creators of everything good for our customers, we know we need to be constantly learning and working on being the best we can be. I definitely still have some learning to do on this and I am determined to get this hot process salt bar figured out...I'm getting closer. I feel that I did pretty good on this one and wanted to share with you.

IMG_0824usethis500.jpg

If you are thinking of making hot process soap, you need to purchase The Everything Soapmaking Book by Alicia Grosso. This is an excellent book to read that explains the process of soapmaking and will help you understand much better the process of how to make it. She has some great recipes in there too. :) A notebook to hold all of your recipes is a must. Make notes of your process, if you add something or do something different to the process of making your soap, make notes....lots of notes. Your notes will be worth the price of gold....you will never forget anything that is important for making your awesome soap recipe.

IMG_0822USETHIS.jpg

I love these molds. It is great to have several different types of molds to meet your soaping needs and customers love being offered something different too. I will be using the acrylic divider mold and round mold for my salt bars. When you make your salt bars in single molds, they are very easy to remove and there are no worries about having to cut a harder loaf of soap.

IMG_0826CROPPED500USE.jpg

It is a great idea to gather all of your ingredients together and have them at arms length before you start making soap. I have a folding table that I use to set all of my ingredients on. I love my table, it is like an extra set of hands ready to hand me what I need!

IMG_0828CROPPED500USE.jpg

Is there such a thing as too many utensils when making soap? I don't think so. :) They are so important in the making of your creations. Have all of them handy before you start making your soap, it will make your soapmaking so much easier. Make sure they are stainless steel!

IMG_0829CROPPED500USE.jpg

You will need a heavy duty plastic container or a stainless steel container (designated for the use of lye water ONLY) for putting your lye mixture in. Never use aluminum for any soapmaking as the lye interacts negatively with it.

IMG_0830CROPPED500USE.jpgIMG_0831CROPPED500USE.jpg

If you want to make quality soap, you need to purchase quality products to make it with. This recipe contains mostly  coconut oil...so it's gotta be good. :) I love Essential Depot's creamy and delectable coconut oil....actually I love all of their top quality products and if you are a member of the Handcrafted Soap & Cosmetic Guild, you will have access to some awesome supply company discounts, Essential Depot being one of the participants. :) The pail opener is awesome! Makes opening this 25# or other containers (bulk lotions, foaming bath whip, etc) that so many of our suppliers carry an absolute breeze! I got this opener from Wholesale Supplies Plus.

Before you start making your soap:

Be sure you are following all safety precautions and have protective gear on. It is best if you make your soap in an area away from pets and children and any distractions. This will help you immensely, you will keep everyone safe from the lye and your probability of a lye accident will be close to none. When nothing else is plying for your attention, you will be able to concentrate so much better while making your soap. I cannot stress this enough. It is also great alone time for you. :)  

IMG_0833CROPPED500USE.jpg

This recipe is for a 5 POUND BATCH of soap. If you wish to make this recipe or make in smaller batches, please run through a soap calculator before making.

By the way, I am an ounce, pound and teaspoon kinda gal and the recipe will contain these measurements. :) 

To begin my soapmaking, I turn the crock pot on low (I keep the crock pot on low throughout the whole process of making all my soaps)  to melt the butters/warm the oils and then add to the crockpot:

64 oz Coconut Oil

8 oz Avocado Oil

4 oz Shea Butter

4 oz Castor Oil

3 Tablespoons Stearic Acid

IMG_0837CROPPED500USE.jpgIMG_0880500USE.jpg

DO NOT BE AFRAID OF THE LYE FOLKS! If this is keeping you from making soap, don't let it! Just use caution and be safe and you will be good to go! Keep the apple cider vinegar close by just in case of small lye burns or accidents. (it does work extremely well) :)

Once I have the butters melting and the oils warming in the crock pot, I immediately make my lye mixture

This will be lye heavy as I am taking a liquid discount at the beginning of this recipe. I will be adding coconut milk and heavy cream later in the recipe to make up for it.

In my lye container I add and then stir well:

10.7 oz Aloe Vera Juice

Tussah Silk - Good cottonball size

2 oz Sodium Lactate

2-1/2 Teaspoons White Granulated Sugar

In a well ventilated area, I then carefully measure and pour my lye into the aloe vera juice mixture:

Lye amount - 12.175 oz

Stir well until lye is blended and tussah silk is dissolved, cover and set aside in a safe place away from your immediate work area.

IMG_0838CROPPED500USE.jpg

Butters are almost melted. After they are melted, I add the lye mixture to the crock pot and begin stick blending to begin/speed up the saponification process. (I never have to check the temperatures of the lye or the oils in crock before blending together as at this point everything is very warm. This is just one of the beauties of Hot Process Soapmaking).

IMG_0844CROPPED500USE.jpg

Stick blend soap batter until it is at a very light trace.

IMG_0847CROPPED500USE.jpg

I then add:

13.5 oz Coconut Milk

2.2 oz Heavy Cream

Straight out of the can and straight out of the frig. I do not cool, warm or freeze either milks. Stick blend together.

IMG_0846CROPPED500USE.jpg

This shows a heavy trace (see impressions that the stick blender left) then I got.....

.IMG_0888CROPPED500USE.jpg

this...just like butter..soap on a stick ...extremely quickly. No worries...at this point I scrape the batter off of the stick blender, scrape down the sides of the crock pot and then I put the lid on it.

IMG_0891CROPPED500USE.jpg

This is 15 minutes after putting my lid on ...this is lovingly called the butt crack stage...see the resemblance? :)

I did not stir it yet, but put the lid back on...but it was not long until

IMG_0896CROPPED500USE.jpgIMG_0899CROPPED500USE.jpg

I had a lye volcano forming 40 minutes after starting. This is why we never leave our crock pots folks! Active lye

all over your counters, utensils etc is not good. So be safe and stay close. No worries, I just take the lid off and stir fast and continue to stir fast until it settles down. This soap is cooking good. :)

IMG_0902CROPPED500USE.jpgIMG_0903CROPPED500USE.jpg

Just a few minutes later, we are done. This is the vaseline stage...see how shiny and vaseliney (is this a word?)  it looks? 

IMG_0867CROPPED500USE.jpg

I always test my soap after cook to make sure there is no active lye left. I first stir my soap really well, then I take a penny size dollop of soap, place it on a paper towel that has folded over several times (so the phenolphthalein does not get on your fingers or on the counter) and then I drop several drops of Phenolphthalein on the soap. If no red spots appear, it is done! In the pic above, I had just dropped the phenolphthalein drops on it. All done and ready to go! Phenolphthalein is poisonous, so I fold up the paper towel over the soap piece and throw it all away in a child safe, pet safe trash can. In other words, I shove this to the bowels of a trash can. :)

I turn off the crock pot and while the soap is cooling I do some mixing:

IMG_0904CROPPED500USE.jpg

Nurture Soap turquoise mica (left) mixed with 1 Tablespoon of Glycerine and (right) 3 Tablespoons Titanium Dioxide mixed with about 1-1/2 oz of distilled water waiting to be blended into soap batter.

IMG_0893CROPPED500use.jpg

In another bowl, I blend:

2-1/2 lb Sea Salt

2 Tablespoons Kaolin Clay

2 Tablespoons Atlantic Kelp Powder

IMG_0892500USE.jpg

IMG_0894500USE.jpg

IMG_0895500USE.jpg

Scent.....I blended Tonic (3.5 oz) with Sea Kelp (1 oz) and stirred 2 Tablespoons of Arrowroot Powder into it. I then add the scent blend to the salt bowl and blend everything together.

IMG_0905CROPPED500USE.jpg

After the soap batter cooled to 175 (I usually wait until 160-165 with regular soap, but I was adding salt to this batter and wanted as much time to blend as possible), I added to the soap

batter and blended well:

2 Tablespoons. Honey

1-1/2 Tablespoons Glycerine

2 Tablespoons Avocado Oil

2 Teaspoons Vitamin E Oil

IMG_0908CROPPED500USE.jpg

From this point on, I worked very fast as the salt blend cools the soap extremely quickly. I first added the salt/scent blend to the soap and stirred very fast until blended. I then separated the batch and colored one part with the tItanium dioxide and the other part with the turquoise mica.

IMG_0911CROPPED500USE.jpg

I then plopped the soap into the acrylic mold and used the swirling wand to blend the two colors together in an up and down motion. See how the wand is standing straight up? I was working very quickly at this point. Don't forget to tamp down the mold to get air pockets out.

I then put the mold dividers in the mold, sprinkled the soap with pink Himalayan salt. (Make sure to press the salt into the tops of the soap or the salt will fall off)

IMG_0913CROPPED500USE.jpg

I did have some leftover soap which I put into round molds. Whew...that was some work!

IMG_0914CROPPED500USE.jpg

After I had placed the soap into the molds, I scraped the leftover soap off the sides of the crock pot and bowl and squished into a little soap. I put some distilled water into a pan and wow..look at the suds!! Smells heavenly too!! 

IMG_0916CROPPEDuse.jpgIMG_0918CROPPEDuse.jpg

I un-molded 2 hours after placing the soap in the molds and here are a couple more pics. They are rough and rustic, I love the looks of them.

IMG_0925CROPPEDuse.jpgIMG_0924CROPPEDuse.jpg

These large bars weigh 9 oz each....a big ole bar of pure Oasis Spa Sea Salt Soap! :)  Salt bars are delightful! They gently exfoliate, tone the skin, are moisturizing and create an awesome lotion like lather. 

IMG_0929CROPPEDuse.jpg

The great thing about Hot Process soap is that you can use it immediately. I always take end pieces or odd pieces of the soap and immediately use them in the shower as soon as I make them. The rest, even though I do not have to, I let cure for at least 4 weeks. The longer they cure, the better they are. :)

I sure hope you all enjoyed. If anyone sees this that is thinking of making soap...PLEASE .....go make soap! It is wonderful! :)

IMG_0895CROPPED.jpg

IMG_0880500.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Candybee said:

By the way, would you mind sharing where you get your kelp powder? I have been looking for it and not having much luck.

I got it from Nurture Soap BUT when I went to copy the pic and paste here, there was nothing. Hmmm....I wonder when they discontinued it? Well, I guess I will be on the hunt for it too! I'm surprised they don't carry it, I would think that it would be a very popular item right now. Maybe just out of stock?  I have had the Atlantic Kelp Power for awhile, but not that long. It is probably less than a year old. Hmmm..hopefully just out of stock.

3 hours ago, Candybee said:

Sooooo creamy looking! What a great recipe. Thanks for sharing. I want to reach through my computer and grab a bar! LOL I've always used cold processing for my salt bars. Never tried it with hot processing.

It really did turn out nice! I just love the bubbles, lather and smell. I have my little squashed bar in the shower. :)  I wash with it and wash with it again. Sometimes ya just can't get enough of those bars of soap. But, shew..I did have to work very quickly, but they turned out nice, so it can be done. :) The additives at the end make the batter a little more fluid until you add the salt, then all bets are off. I just can't add the huge amounts of water that some people are adding to make the batter more fluid. I am just a little scared of that. But, I loved adding both the milks and on the OMH soap, I did a three milk soap with the goats, coconut and heavy cream and they turned out nice. You girls inspired me talking about the milks for the soaps. :) Soap is just so heavenly! I love it! :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Candybee said:

By the way, would you mind sharing where you get your kelp powder? I have been looking for it and not having much luck.

I know this isn't kelp powder but Ive used this seaweed powder before + i really like it. Only thing about NDA is the $100 order requirement or theres 

a $20 charge. I really like their fruit extract too.

https://www.newdirectionsaromatics.com/products/salts-muds-seaweed/seaweed-powder.html

• Like 1

Oh WOW these are just gorgeous. Ive never made salt bars before but have bought from soapers at my local farmers market - Love them !

I really like your FO combo - may I ask if you use the kelp from Rustic Ess? I really would love to try this recipe - thanks so much for sharing 

I think I bought that book off of Amazon awhile back ago along with a few other soap making books - I think the other one was by Ann Watson ???

Love these ... Great job :) 

• Like 1

Wow!!  That recipe is like a whole spa day wrapped up in one bar.  Well done. :D

I've played around in the last year with salt in my soaps.  I too make a hot process salt bar, but pretty straight forward.  My fave base combo is coconut, avocado and shea.  I like the addition of stearic as well...going to try that soon.  I also make a "touch of salt" soap that has quickly become a family favorite.  My very very fussy daughter prefers my touch of salt soaps for her facial soap.  She says it gets off her makeup, even heavy lipstick without stripping her skin and leaves her silky smooth and not oily.  She and I have VERY different opinions on the superfat preference in soaps. 

Salt bars really have to be tried to be appreciated.  They are very unique.

Great tutorial!!

• Like 1

Great tutorial! Thanks Puma! I love that soapmaking book, too. Years ago, I ran the recipes I used from it through Soap Calc and found a few that were lye heavy. So always double check recipes! :) I'm at work and can't look just now which ones they were.

Edited by Faerywren
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Moonstar said:

Oh WOW these are just gorgeous. Ive never made salt bars before but have bought from soapers at my local farmers market - Love them !

I really like your FO combo - may I ask if you use the kelp from Rustic Ess? I really would love to try this recipe - thanks so much for sharing 

I think I bought that book off of Amazon awhile back ago along with a few other soap making books - I think the other one was by Ann Watson ???

Hi Moonstar...Thank you! I must tell everyone that the scent blend I used was thought up my my good buddy here Moonshine. I meant to put out a big thanks on the Tutorial, but oh my mind. :rolleyes: So a big thank you and shout out to Moonshine  :hello:on the blend...it is a wonderful one and I call mine Oasis which is what this blend reminds me of !!

Edited by puma52
  • Like 1

Thanks to you all! I appreciate your feedback on this! I sure do hope that you all try this recipe. :) Next time I may just cut down the salt a half a pound more. It may just give me the important time that I need to get everything done. :) Also thanks for the heads up guys on the kelp powder suppliers!

Edited by puma52

Great demo Puma, thank you!

The soap of the month demos have certainly peaked my interest in making soap!  Have been doing some research on the board on soap making and will definitely order the book you recommend to help me get started.  I am glad you mentioned the part about not being afraid of the lye because that was definitely one of the reasons I was steering more towards the melt and pour soap.  Let me ask -- does lye have an odor and do you need a well ventilated place to use it? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Terry said:

Great demo Puma, thank you!

The soap of the month demos have certainly peaked my interest in making soap!  Have been doing some research on the board on soap making and will definitely order the book you recommend to help me get started.  I am glad you mentioned the part about not being afraid of the lye because that was definitely one of the reasons I was steering more towards the melt and pour soap.  Let me ask -- does lye have an odor and do you need a well ventilated place to use it? 

Hi Terry!

I hope you do buy the book and are encouraged to make your own soap. The lye by itself does not have an odor, but when you pour the lye into your water mixture, it does create a vapor and smell that you do not want to inhale as they could be harmful to you. When I pour my lye into the water mixture, I am not standing over it, but to the side and stir from the side carefully also, but the harmful vapors are not a constant....once you stir very well to combine the lye with the water and after letting it set for a few minutes to let the vapor evaporate, it is just fine. You still do not want to get this mixture on you as it will burn you, but the vapor part does go away eventually. The pic I took was after my lye water had set for several minutes and was no longer letting off the vapor.  I sure hope you try making soap Terry....I swear ...it's good stuff! :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2016 at 8:45 PM, Moonstar said:

Moonstar .... I apologize...I was reading these over and realized that you asked if the Sea Kelp scent came from RE.....it sure did. :)  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, puma52 said:

Moonstar .... I apologize...I was reading these over and realized that you asked if the Sea Kelp scent came from RE.....it sure did. :)  

Thanks Puma ! I did order a sample of the Sea Kelp during RE sale - he he can't wait to get all of my choices ! I got the Salty Sea Air ?? too 

it had good reviews + remember someone on here said the Blue Skies was good too. The rest I ordered holiday + foodie type .

• Like 1

• Candybee pinned, unpinned and unfeatured this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
On August 1, 2016 at 2:23 PM, Candybee said:

Not sure if you ever found any but heres a link. I know NDA has a seaweed powder too. 

http://www.essentialwholesale.com/product/1224/kelp-powder-atlantic-organic

• Like 1

On August 1, 2016 at 1:23 PM, Candybee said:

I buy an awful lot of my herbs and spices fro herbal com.com. I have some kelp powder purchased for my horses. Want me to send you a little to try?

• Like 1

• TallTayl featured, pinned, unpinned and unfeatured this topic
On 9/24/2016 at 10:14 PM, debratant said:

Excellent Tutorial Puma, thank you so much!  These are gorgeous! 

Thank you so much Debratant! I tweaked and thought about how I would make this and this soap recipe has just been wonderful! I love these soaps and actually my sister got hold of one of these bars :) and has ordered 7 of them...so I am getting ready to make another batch. I hope you try making these sometime. :)

• 4 weeks later...