Making A Cowgirl

Scented

Belinda or anyone that's working on western type candles........has anyone tried mixing Leather with a dupe of Vanilla Lace? I have the Vanilla Lace from Just Scent but my little sample of TCS leather is all gone. Am working on an order for them right now;)

9 minutes ago, Belinda said:

Karen that's adorable! The women around here love camo too! I'll have to try that for sure!

Yes. Pink camo clothing and accessories are popular here for the ladies. I was a bit surprised to see pink camo lingerie at Bass Pro-HA! 

You know me and naming. I rename every scent. Well, and I write for a living so that explains that even more! 

• Like 1

Haha! Now I've got cowboy names popping into my head from reading this thread....

I would mix EBB's Honey Patchouli + Leather + Dirt + Fresh Cut Grass and call it Dude Ranch

Scented I'd try EBB's Tuscan Lace + Vanilla Musk + Leather for your Sexy Cowgirl, but I'd call it Midnight Cowgirl

How about cinnamon red hots + orange chili pepper for Bronc Buster

• Like 3

On July 31, 2016 at 5:02 PM, gail164 said:

I didn't think I would like any leather scent but I absolutely love the one from Texas Candle Supply.......I want to use it straight but also mix with other fragrances for the western line I'm working on! Their Mexican Vanilla is a real nice one too. Bitter Creek North has a nice leather also,  quite different from TCS but good!

I'm only going to offer 6 western fragrances to start out and then add more if it works out. I think a good coffee scent might work, leather, leather mixes, sweet grass n sage.......now I'm rambling! Happy candle making everyone!

Sweetgrass is wonderful blended with hayride, Apple and grass- I call mine horse whispers

peaks black canyon makes a wonderful manly scent - I call mine midnight cowboy 

my renegade cowgirl was MW suede but I want to change that one up its not girly enough 

2 of mine are named after our horses - gambler and its sunflower scent because he was famous for getting in the sunflower garden and we have many pics of him smelling them and Dude which I use arctic air because it's so cool crisp clean...like a Dude

turn n burn I use mulberries and moonbeams but again I want to change that one it needs to be a blazing hot scent 

chuck wagon was welcome home but I can't stand the scent so I'm changing it over to some other food type 

Indian summer is red currant 

Apache tears is champaca and bamboo

rodeo is dragons blood 

and cattle drive is oatmeal milk and honey 

• Like 3

Thank you so much moonshine for all the information......the Sweetgrass blended with hayride, Apple and grass sounds great!  I think I would really like the oatmeal, milk and honey also. They all sound great! How long have you been offering the western scents and do customers really go for them in your area?

That was my first inspiration and my first complete line I did After I figured out what I was doing with candles- lol

I have had to retest them a few years back when I switched waxes but it's been about 6 years I have had that line and they do sell very well around here-we are an equestrian community and my daughter rode on the middle and high school teams so they were a hit with everyone and I always took them to our breast cancer fundraiser show we did 

This Fall I am going to change a few of the scents that I don't care for but all in all I will always keep that line 

I seem to be getting more people drawn to the Michigan line I did though and this winter I will be introducing my country collection

then I have the standards- food-floral-fruit-earth-fresh and clean,herbal and designer dupes

all the same jar and label just western has a bandana outline and Michigan has the Michigan shape with blue print for the names and the country collection has a barn on them 

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 1

Please note that any western type fragrances I have mentioned in my posts have been from Southwest Candle Supply not Texas Candle Supply......I haven't tried TCS yet! For some reason I got them mixed up in my post ? not sure why I got them mixed up but just realized it today and thought I should clarify as to not mislead anyone........wow......kind of scary! My excuse is working 12 hours a day,  7 days a week for over 1 month and trying to do some candles too! Lol! Sorry for any confusion! :rolleyes:

Edited by gail164
  • Like 1

On July 31, 2016 at 7:19 PM, Moonstar said:

Gail now you have me intrigued with the leather FO, maybe I'll give it a try one day :) Do you use 1oz pp with wax - or is that a FO that you use less.

Great names you guys - such a clever bunch :)

Moonstar I used 1 oz of the Leather from Southwest Candle Supply in 1 pound of Kysoy125.....I really could have used 3/4 oz and it would have been good, when my order gets here I will try it and let you know! ;)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gail164 said:

Please note that any western type fragrances I have mentioned in my posts have been from Southwest Candle Supply not Texas Candle Supply......I haven't tried TCS yet! For some reason I got them mixed up in my post ? not sure why I got them mixed up but just realized it today and thought I should clarify as to not mislead anyone........wow......kind of scary! My excuse is working 12 hours a day,  7 days a week for over 1 month and trying to do some candles too! Lol! Sorry for any confusion! :rolleyes:

Oh Gail....if you tried the Texas Candly Supply Leather...oh it is just the best! Belinda (thank you!, thank you girl!  :)) told me about it when I just could not find a good leather. That leather from TCS is heavenly ....try blending it with tobacco from Aztec...soooo good! :)

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, puma52 said:

Oh Gail....if you tried the Texas Candly Supply Leather...oh it is just the best! Belinda (thank you!, thank you girl!  :)) told me about it when I just could not find a good leather. That leather from TCS is heavenly ....try blending it with tobacco from Aztec...soooo good! :)

I'm going to place an order today from TCS for the 12 1oz samples for $21.00 any other "must haves" from there? Thank you!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gail164 said:

I'm going to place an order today from TCS for the 12 1oz samples for $21.00 any other "must haves" from there? Thank you!

I also love their Sun Washed Denim! :) When you get them ...would love to hear what you think Gail. :)

Edited by puma52

3 hours ago, puma52 said:

I also love their Sun Washed Denim! :) When you get them ...would love to hear what you think Gail. :)

I will definitely get a sample of the Sun Washed Denim........will let you know what I think of the 12 I order. Enjoy your day! :)

Edited by gail164

On August 7, 2016 at 7:31 AM, puma52 said:

That sounds amazing Puma! (Or at least for my leather loving customers LOL!) That may have to be an experiment for me today. Thank you for the idea!

• Like 1

On August 7, 2016 at 8:21 AM, gail164 said:

I personally like Buckles & Spurs,

Cowboys at the Beach,

Cowboy Sunset,

Chaps,

Sun Washed Denim, 

Thoroughbred (it's kind of spicy). All of his manly scents and bakery scents have been good of the ones I"ve tried. His feminine scents are good too but some don't have a description but they do smell nice and strong.

I don't care for his cream brûlée though and he claims it's the best in the business. I love Cajun's! 

I got some of his Dusty Mexican Morning and it had leaked out in the bag that he had put it in for me, and it was a strong floral type scent and gave me a headache. I ordered a scent by the same name from BCS when they were in business and it was more of a bakery scent so I'm not sure if he had mislabeled the one I got from him or not. I never got a sample of it to try again. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Belinda said:

I personally like Buckles & Spurs,

Cowboys at the Beach,

Cowboy Sunset,

Chaps,

Sun Washed Denim, 

Thoroughbred (it's kind of spicy). All of his manly scents and bakery scents have been good of the ones I"ve tried. His feminine scents are good too but some don't have a description but they do smell nice and strong.

I don't care for his cream brûlée though and he claims it's the best in the business. I love Cajun's! 

I got some of his Dusty Mexican Morning and it had leaked out in the bag that he had put it in for me, and it was a strong floral type scent and gave me a headache. I ordered a scent by the same name from BCS when they were in business and it was more of a bakery scent so I'm not sure if he had mislabeled the one I got from him or not. I never got a sample of it to try again. 

I did order Buckles and Spurs, Cowboys at the Beach, Cowboy Sunset and Sun Washed Denim, that Thoroughbred sounds nice too, will order it next time...........funny you should mention Creme Brûlée because the supplier that I used to order it from went out of business several years ago and I would like to carry it again. Way back when I first started out I ordered my very first candle making kit from Cajun! So glad to hear they are still in business, I will try their Creme Brûlée then! I like their Baby Powder, Dreamsicle and a few others I can't think of right now.....thank you for sharing! :)

• Like 1

So curiously, leather, amber, salty sailor and jasmine appears to dress down the leather enough that there's a hint of leather under a clean floral ... I'm dismayed with the scent, but my partner tossed down the leather, amber and salty sailor (his once upon a time fav) to say he likes the other. I'd like to think he's being difficult, but I tested him several times last weekend to find that he was actually consistent. So perhaps it might become Petticoat Junction ... if I can get away with it. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On August 1, 2016 at 9:19 AM, OldGlory said:

Belinda, if you haven't tried Peppercorn from BCN, get a sample next time you order from them. I believe it would blend well with leather, and fit in with a western line. I blend it for my wholesale account, just started selling it in October 2015, and it's already their 2nd bestseller.

Thank you for the suggestion Old Glory! I got a bottle of Peppercorn in from them today and plan to blend it with leather. I'm not sure what to call it though. Maybe Spicy leather or something. I just made a blend of cinnamon stick and leather and it smells pretty good if you like leather. I think Blazing Saddles will be the name for that one LOL!