I'm having a bit of trouble single wicking this jar. It's an 11oz Libby straight sided tumbler jar with a

diameter of 3.125in. 

Im use 464 wax and a CD16 wick. I was using a CD14 and always had quite a bit of residue on one side of the jar. 

This is the 3rd burn and I can't seem to get it clean on the sides. 

Should I keep going and eventually it will catch up or do I need to wick up? 

Thanks for any help or advice. I've posted pics below.

PS- This test has been going since 10:17am and its 12:35pm now. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I would keep going until at least down to the middle of the candle. It is very possible it could catch up. If after you get to the middle or a little farther down, it's still not cleaning the sides, and you are burning for 3-4 hours each burn, then I would think about wicking up. 

Typically when testing wicks, that's what I do, or I burn the entire candle (unless it is just very obvious it's too big or too small) 

Your candle looks like it will possibly catch up, so I would keep going before starting with a larger wick. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

I would keep going until at least down to the middle of the candle. It is very possible it could catch up. If after you get to the middle or a little farther down, it's still not cleaning the sides, and you are burning for 3-4 hours each burn, then I would think about wicking up. 

Typically when testing wicks, that's what I do, or I burn the entire candle (unless it is just very obvious it's too big or too small) 

Your candle looks like it will possibly catch up, so I would keep going before starting with a larger wick. 

Thank you! I'll keep testing and see how it goes. I finished my test today and still didn't get a full melt pool. Hoping next test it will. 

I would try power burning that candle and see how it does.  9 out of 10 customers do not burn a candle 3 to 4 hours at a time, unless it's a votive.  That is the main reason I power burn my candles 6 to 9 hours, like the majority of my customers do. 

• Like 1

Is it just perspective, or does the container taper from top to bottom? If it does change diameter that wick may actually end up being a bit too big by the end.

Judging just by the tiny bit of hang up at this point if it were not tapering the wick is ok as in another few hours that candle will be creating a lot of convection inside and warming up quite a bit.

17 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Is it just perspective, or does the container taper from top to bottom? If it does change diameter that wick may actually end up being a bit too big by the end.

Judging just by the tiny bit of hang up at this point if it were not tapering the wick is ok as in another few hours that candle will be creating a lot of convection inside and warming up quite a bit.

No it does not taper. It's a straight sided jar. Thank you for your input. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm still having issues with wicking. Lots of residue on one side of the jar. I went up to a CD18 and have made another tester with a CD20(I'm waiting a week to let it cure before I test. 

Is there anyone that sells a CD4 so I could double wick if I need too? CD6 is the smallest I've found in a 6in wick and a double wicked CD6 is too large. 

1 hour ago, jackbenimble said:

So I'm still having issues with wicking. Lots of residue on one side of the jar. I went up to a CD18 and have made another tester with a CD20(I'm waiting a week to let it cure before I test. 

Is there anyone that sells a CD4 so I could double wick if I need too? CD6 is the smallest I've found in a 6in wick and a double wicked CD6 is too large. 

After quite a few frustrating wicking issues with a handful of fragrances with CD series in soy, I tried ECO wicks in just those. Was pleasantly rewarded with decent burns without having to double-wick, or wick up risking big flames. I eliminated ECO early on because they just seemed to burn too hot in my setup.

I have never found a cd4 either...

Happy Finding: in my Clove scent soy tin the CD 16 struggled with a weak flam and tunneled badly. I didn't want to move to the 18.... The ECO 10 did the job remarkably well. Great throw and burn. Even got a little hot at the end. 

59 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

After quite a few frustrating wicking issues with a handful of fragrances with CD series in soy, I tried ECO wicks in just those. Was pleasantly rewarded with decent burns without having to double-wick, or wick up risking big flames. I eliminated ECO early on because they just seemed to burn too hot in my setup.

I have never found a cd4 either...

Happy Finding: in my Clove scent soy tin the CD 16 struggled with a weak flam and tunneled badly. I didn't want to move to the 18.... The ECO 10 did the job remarkably well. Great throw and burn. Even got a little hot at the end. 

Thanks for the info TallTayl! So maybe I will try an ECO wick again. I tried them before as well and ended up going with a double CD wick in my current candle line. I don't know why I never followed through with ECO's. Hoping his will solve my issue. 

On May 28, 2016 at 10:47 AM, jackbenimble said:

Bitter Creek sells them in 6". They also sell a sample kit with 5 of each size (in case you also want to try a CD-5)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have those same tumblers and even the CD16 is a bit too big for me. Flame gets a bit crazy but more than anything the jar gets too hot.

For me back and forth between the CD14 and 16 for that jar worked for the CD wicks. Honestly, in my opinion if you are having to go bigger than that, I'd try a different kind of wick. What FO load are you using?

and FWIW, I think Tumblers and straight sided libbys are the hardest to work for some reason. They dont have any curve at the top like a other jars do to keep heat in so they tend to have hang up a bit more than other containers.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

I know I'm late to this discussion, but did you ever figure out your wick?

Also, Community Candle has the cd 4's....

Trappeur

Sort of. I am trying a CD20 on the scent Citron & Mandarin from CS. Despite being a citrus FO it is on the heavy side. I've ran into this issue on citrus FO before. 

If I can get this FO wicked I can work with the others in this collection. 

I am also trying double wicks with HTP31 & HTP41. We will see how this all goes. 

I feel like I'm on the right track now. 

Thx for all the advice and checking back in friends! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barbara AL said:

Have you tried the cotton wicks from RE I bet the 62 cotton will work in those size jars.What I don't like about the CD's they lean to one side the cotton doesn't.

I have not but will put that on the list. That is true. The CDs always burn one side better than the other.