Wicking 4627 in Libby jars

Yes I am agreeing with you on the jar shape. I burned 2 lemon meringues in them as well and the scent was very mild. It sucks because I really love these jars. Hmmmm I can still make them I suppose but what to tell customers if anything lol. I also agree that longer cure times are better if possible. Well thanks again for walking me through this. I always appreciate any help. ?

Becky,

OK I have an update! Been testing my libby with Mac apple at 8%and a 60 zinc wick. First 2 burns had a decent amount of hangup but good scent. On the 3rd burn the hangup began falling off and it's looking much better. Thinking by the 4th burn it will burn more off. I am excited about this. I also began burning the Hanseller and gretel in a big square mason with a 51 zinc. The ht is super strong and only had it on for an hour. I will burn it more tonight. The 8oz mason with 51 zinc dances a lot but has a great burn and ht. Finally I used a 44 zinc maybe or whatever you suggested for the jelly jar and wow it has great ht. I used lemon lavender in the jelly. It had a full melt pool in less than an hour but I let it burn for about 4. Jar got pretty warm and want to say hot. I may have to wick down one. How's it going with you? Oh and the Clarus 3022 came in today but haven't been home

Woo Hoo! That's great news!

In the jelly maybe try a 44-28-32z instead of the 44-32-18z :) That should work, too!

I'm so glad it's working for you!! I love the zincs; if only we could minimize the mushrooming! lol

Doing good over here, just doing major spring cleaning and organizing...I'm on a rampage! hee hee

Yes thank you very much Becky. You know I don't mind the mushrooming at all. The wicks don't even come close to the sooting I have found with other wicks. I will just tell my customers to trim the wick after every burn. I will definitely try a smaller wick in the jelly. Have a feeling I will have to switch back and forth between the two. Spring cleaning sounds like a blast lol.

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

Sorry I didn't check back in with y'all, lol.

6006 is 70% paraffin (very soft wax) and 30% soy (like a 415).

I love zincs in 6006. The burn pattern is just about perfect in my jars. Yes, they have to be trimmed because of the mushrooms, but for a good burn I don't mind the mushrooms.

Just as a side note, I screwed up and put zincs in some soy wax - and decided to test burn a few. They burned perfectly. I also tested zincs in belnds of 4630 and 464 at varying levels, and they all burned nicely. The moral to the story is this - try EVERYTHING. You never know when you'll get a winner.

Thank you Glory! Yes it's been a long road but I couldn't have done it without this website. I especially could not have done any of this without the wisdom from so many people on here. There will be plenty more questions that I will have no doubt but at least I know I can come here. Thanks a million everyone. ?

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

On the HTP note, I use them religiously and once I've started twisting them they work brilliantly! There are so many pros with HTPs and with just some twisting it obviates the uneven burn. I always twist them prior to adhering them to the glass; making sure to place my fingers where the tab meets the wick so it doesn't come loose in the twisting process. 

• Like 1