Wicking 4627 in Libby jars

Becky,

I took your advice on the zincs and made a couple last night. I made a cranberry marmalade from candle science in a libby and one in a 6oz mason. I used the wick sizes that you had suggested. I will test tomorrow and see how they work out. How are you liking the new scents?

6 minutes ago, Candle guy said:

I took your advice on the zincs and made a couple last night.

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am loving the new scents! I'm off today so I was just going to figure out my game plan for creating :) 

I also had ordered a bunch of samples from NG prior to my CS order...now I'm feeling overwhelmed, lol! 

I will say, CS oils are fabulous! All of them are super strong!

I love NG but sooo many of their oils are hit or miss, or just not strong enough to my liking. I'll fall in love with a scent and later think, "Gosh, I love this scent but I wish it were stronger.."

That goes for soap/bath and body products as well as candles... 

I think 90% of my order from CS are going to be keepers, though! :yay:

Cranberry Marmalade...that one sounds good! Is it on the sweeter side?

• Like 1

Yes cranberry marmalade is on the sweeter side but amazing. Also peak sells cranberry oak which I really like. Yes candle science has a lot of great scents but some just won't work with me. Honey suckle jasmine is super strong, Hansel and gretel, macintosh apple are some of my favorites from candle science. Aztec has chocolate brownie which is fantastic. I got mojito from NG and jelly bean which are not bad. I am looking to try a different paraffin wax. I want to experiment with one that is not too hard to wick. 4627 that I use is great for scent throw but horrible to wick. I am not against blending but I need a starting point lol. I want a wax that looks decent with a decent scent throw and easier to wick. Any suggestions? 

Any straight paraffin with a low melt point is good for blending. The only thing is, you have to add your own components to make it a good blend. Straight para will need vybar 260 to hold more FO. That will also require multiple pours which can be a pain, but HT is probably better than any preblended wax you can buy! ( IMO)

If you're still fairly new to candlemaking, stick with the 4627 until you've nailed down the wicking. You're on your way, I promise! Once you get that down, then I would start playing with different wax/additive combos until you come up with your own unique blend:) 

There are so many variables it's insane; adding:

soy

petro

mineral oil

crisco

coconut oil

palm wax

microcrystalline

beeswax

You can add in different amounts and then....comes wicking! 

It can be migraine inducing not to mention expensive and time consuming, but one thing is sure...you'll never have to worry if your supplier will discontinue, go out of business, batch variations, etc. When you have your own blend you have more control over your own batch consistency, down to the gram if need be.

I don't think 4627 is going anywhere, as lots of chandlers use this wax. I just like knowing what's going into my candles and knowing that no one else on the earth has my formulation, lol! Hope this helps:02:

Yes that helps but it's super frustrating considering I have used just about every wick known to man for 4627 lol. I will try the zincs tomorrow and hope lol. I would love to have my own formulation believe me. I am still a rookie within my first year. I have learned tons already though. I will need to buy more zincs though if these seem to work. I only have a sample pack of 3 different kinds.

Sorry just getting caught up with this thread. I've used zinc wicks before with 4627 and I can tell you that if you don't like mushrooms that these will mushroom more than any other wick that I have tried. Again, I strongly suggest the HTP 83's. You could try twisting the wicks to eliminate hangup but it should burn up by the end. Yes I do burn them for more than 4 hours usually, but not usually more than 6 hours. Again, you won't get a full melt pool with these wicks, but you will have controlled flame which I believe is what you are looking for. Soy wax is is a valuable additive not for increasing the burn time (this wax burns just as long, if not longer than soy), but for lower the melt point. a blend of 80/20 of 4627/464 would be fine and you might even get a full melt pool. But the flame can get a little large for my taste. It will seem under wicked at first and the hangup you are experiencing is normal. You just have to burn the entire candle to see.

I sometimes blend with a small amount of 424 if there is still some hangup at the end. This solves that problem. I like to make tealights with some soy also because it hardens the wax so that the wicks don't get stuck in it when you fold them down. It's a very valuable additive in it's own right if you are using 4627.

Im burning the zinc testers right now. The libby is looking great so far but the scent throw is not quite there. This is strange because my 6oz mason is throwing much better with the same percentage of fo and all. They both came from the same batch. The mason may be burning a radio too hot. I could probably wick 1 down

Becky,

OK over 3 hours now on burn and the 6oz mason achieved a full melt pool and a little hot. Great scent and dancing flame. The libby burning great right now but hardly any scent. I think the libby will achieve a full melt pool by second burn. Maybe it's the container? I seem to get more scent room mason jars and 12 sided?

• Like 1

Yes, anything that has a little curve or shoulders always gives better HT:) 

Never had great luck with the straight sided jars until it got on the 2nd or 3rd burn...

Still trying to perfect the 8 oz. tureen; I love that jar but it is a royal pain to wick! 60 and 62 zinc works but I don't care for the larger flame...thinking I may go to an 11 oz. and double wick...I love the HT the most due to the large mouth design. 

Did you get your mushroom farm started yet? Lol those darn zincs! I still swear by them, though. What size did you use in the mason? 44-32-18?

Becky,

I used the 52 something haha. I may try the 44 next. The 52 burns great and great throw. The Libbey on first 2 burns weak scent but I guess we will see after I burn again tonight. Zincs just got delivered. Yaaaah! I can deal with the mushrooms so as long as I have an even burn and good scent. I tell everyone to trim the wicks after each burn anyways

For the 8 oz, I use the 51-32-18z

Don't remember seeing the 6 oz, but I would try a 44-32-18z on that one; you want a slower burn for a smaller candle...

All of my 8 oz. jellies took a 44-32-18z, with the exception of a couple of fragrances. 

Your 4627 wax maybe burn slightly different than my formula, but all of your jars I would test with:

44-28-32z

44-32-18z

51-32-18z

These would be your best wicking choices, IMO :yay:

I'm so glad to help :)