Wicking 4627 in Libby jars

Sorry I have been fighting a cold for a bit. I haven't gotten much testing done yet. I did however make a libby jar and placed a htp 83 in it. I am testing at the moment. I have burned it twice for 4 hours a piece and it does not get to the edges as I was told it wont. The scent is not strong but I'm thinking that's because it's lemon meringue. I put 8% in but the lemon meringue is not the strongest to begin with. I also made yesterday a small mason jar of blueberry at 8% with 1 drop of blue dye and an HTP 83 also. I will test that tomorrow to see where it stands. I will finish the libby burn and I'm hoping that the sides will burn off eventually. 

• Like 1

How close to the edges does it burn? Any way you can post a pic? Honestly I thought initially the htp83 would be slightly underwicked even though hapathy said he has great results...I wonder if he ever tried the next size up to compare...hmmm....

Wow...that's a lot of hangup...I'm thinking htp93, or most commonly used htp104 in that jar...

The thing is if you're selling I can't imagine customers being ok with that...I try to get an almost full melt pool on the 2nd burn...I'm thinking the htp83 would be fine if you burn the candles for 8 hours at a shot, lol....

will be curious to see further 4 hour burns with that wick....;) 

As long as the dark side works I am happy with that. My main concern is the heat of the containers while they burn. I find that after a burn or two, the jar is never hot right where the wick is burning, it gets hot at the top of the jar.Many times its just hot on 1 side of a jar. Also after almost every burn regardless of wick type, the mushrooms or pieces of the wick fall into the wax after I blow them out. I hear that this is not safe for it may cause a fire. Does any of this sound normal to you? 

Yepper! I think you will be pleased with how the zincs burn...they don't get "hot on one side", they are actually cooler burning wicks; you don't need a super hot wick to burn paraffin...

Most people who love zincs say they get the BEST ht; no FO is burning off, it's warmed and allows the fragrance to permeate more...

As far as the mushrooms, grab a yankee and burn it for an hour, lol!

I always say the wick is ready to be trimmed when you get that mushroom. It's just a side effect with that wick, but then again, with a lot of wicks...I've tried every wick under the sun and always come back to the zincs, they are reliable, I know how they burn and I get nice, steady, even meltpools throughout the burn. I think you will find you will get a steadier flame as well, they tend not to behave so erratically as other wicks. (IMO)

Can't wait for you to try them!!!:yay:

• Like 1

No! No need to twist the zincs, and they stand up by themselves; you don't even need to use a wick holder! (Once you get the hang of it)

There are a good amount of sizes to choose from:

44-28-18z and 44-32-18z for 8 oz. jelly jars

51-32-18z for 8oz. square masons, 12 oz. and 16oz. canning jars

60-44-18z and 62-52-18z for salsa and tureen jars

There are other sizes below that but this is what I pretty much stick with:) 

Now that I gave you all of my secrets how bout a date? LOL just kidding:):laugh2:

Seriously, though, I can't wait to see what you think....it may be just what you are looking for:yay:

Thank you and I was about to ask you about the difference in waxes. Usually 4627 I have to wick up. I do appreciate the secrets though and it is a struggle with this wax. I think that if I made candles full time than I would have figured most of this out by now. I have a full time job and a fill in pt job and a girlfriend lol. Sorry Becky but I hope that you can still help out haha *hiding*

• Like 1

I would love to meet up with someone else in the candle business to see how they make theirs compared to how I make mine. I have often wondered what the differences are in the production aspect. Different temperatures, ways of cooling, so on and so on. 

LOL! I was just teasing you! I've been happily married for 10 years! LOL

With the 4627 there's a lot of petro in there, you do need to wick up some...

There are so many variables with candlemaking, everyone seems to have little tricks and tips they use that produce different outcomes, but you will find your own and become very proud of your finished product.  I have learned lots on this board, just spending so many hours researching and testing...I can't tell you how many pounds of waxes and additives I have tried over the years to come up with a great blend, but I still continue to test and reformulate a little here and there, it's never ending, lol!

I was thinking of blending soy with 4627 and giving that a go. First I want to try these zincs. It's all good in regards to the date thing haha. I have learned a ton as well on this site. I need to get this formula down for at least a couple candles. Great throwers I have found are cand let sciences Mac apple, Hansel and gretel, cinnabuns, and a couple others. Aztec has fudge brownie which is great. Trying to nail down the right wick for these libbys ugh. Can't wait to try the zincs in these

Soy is good for slowing the burn, I keep my percentages on the low side. Not a huge fan of soy, I never got the HT like I do with paraffin. I tried and tried, believe me! With soy you need a long cure time, hotter wicks and more fragrance oil to even compete with paraffin, IMO. I prefer pouring the candles and being able to sell the next day! ;)

I should be getting my fragrance samples today from CS-think I'll go check the mailbox now, lol! I'll be doing a review OOB for them today! I think I ordered like 23 of them, lol! woo hoo!

Wow that is a lot of fragrances but then again they are on sale for .99 lol. I first started with soy and yes the cure times are ridiculous with mostly mediocre scent throw. My customers want scent throw above all else. I am most selling little jellies and lots of melts. My melts are more popular than the candles. I need to get the libby jars down so I have variety. The masons and 12 sided I am working on also. My business is only a part time thing for now but I do well with melts mostly lol