Wicking 4627 in Libby jars

Hey everyone,

I have been attempting to wick my 3 inch rounded, 10oz Libby jars that I bought from CS. I am using lemon meringue from aztec at 8% with 1 drop of yellow dye. I have tried lx and htp wicks. Tested lx 21 for 4 hours like every test and it was burning unevenly through first 3 test burns and sooting on one side.I tried a lx 24 and it almost achieved a full melt pool with good scent throw through first 3 burns but it also began sooting and getting the jar hot on one side. I then tested htps 105, 125, 1212, and they all soot very badly as well. 1212 had ano excellent burn, melt pool and FT through the first 2, 4 hours burns. On the third it began leaving soot on one side and got that side really hot as well. Testing 1313 now but has anyone had any success with this jar? Help please lol

I'm thinking if that is the 12 sided jar you're using, you're going to have soot no matter what, especially using 4627. It's hard to keep the jar clean with that neck. I would go with something that has a wider mouth and no neck....with 4627 you should have good HT no matter what kind of jar you use:)

A 52z or 60z should work in that jar as well, but oh the mushrooms....

Maybe you do want to try a zinc, lol!

The HTP and LX do tend to curl, and your getting soot on just one side of the jar? If so, you may just want to throw a zinc in there to compare...did you ever try them before?

Becky,

I do have zincs and tried them in my little jelly jars but find that lx and htp work well in those. I have not tried zinc in the libby yet. I do agree that the scent throw is awesome in 4627. I also believe that the reason why it's getting hot and sooting on the one side is because of the curl effect. I ordered a 2lb sample of 4630 from Peak but have not experimented with it yet. Have you used 4630 by chance?

Yes, not a huge fan....the HT just wasn't there for me.

I think if you try the zincs in the 4627 you will be impressed with the HT, no jar getting hotter on one side, no dying flames, etc. but the only thing I dislike about the zincs are the mushrooms! But hey, you can always tell your customers when they get their "fragrance mushroom", it's time to trim the wick! LOL 

I use this wax religiously... and sooting it a problem with it, yes. I've tried several different types of wicks with it... HTP's, LX's, ECO's, Zinc cores, CN's, Premiers, just trying to find the right type of wick for this wax. Hands down the HTP's are the best! None of the other wicks self-trim like the HTP's. You really need a wick that will self trim or else the flame will get out of control and soot. That being said, I wouldn't dare using anything above an HTP 83 in this wax (and with your container I probably wouldn't use anything less than it either). It will not be completely soot free but it will be better than if you use any other wicks, IMO.

You should expect some hangup with the HTP 83 but it should all even out by the end. You will never get a full melt pool with the HTP 83 in your status jar with the IGI 4627, however this is a compromise you must make if you don't want your candle to be a soot machine (it will still smell amazing). I've been using the the black straight sided tumblers from CS to mask any sooting and I am happy the outcome, however I realize that many people like clear jars for the obvious reason that you can see the wax through them. Also, recently I made a candle that was 100% IGI 4627 in a pint ball jar with an HTP 83 at 12% FO and there was virtually no soot. I'm not a fan of the ball jars so I don't plan on using them but at least I know that it possible to make a candle with this wax that doesn't soot. So I'm confident that this combination would be a good remedy for you. I think you just started out with HTP's that were too big, but you were right to choose that style in the first place. Give the HTP 83's a try and I think you will like them.

HTP wicks will always curl to one side bc this is how they self-trim (the outside of the flame is the hottest and burns any excess carbon buildup). This used to bother me at first because I would make the effort to make sure the wick was centered and then it would just end up burning off center anyways. If this bother you, I can tell you that the wick will always curl to the side with the braid pointing upwards. Look at the HTP wicks. On one side it will look like there are arrows pointing downwards and on the other side it will look like there are arrows pointing upwards. The wick will always curl to the side where the arrows are pointing upwards. With a little practice you can off center the wick just enough when you pour you candle so that the wick burns straight down the middle. But like I said, it should all be used up by the end anyways so this is purely for the perfectionists.

• Like 2

Hapathy,

That is awesome info and thank you very much. I never thought to use an 83 because this wax I have always had to wick upwards. This now makes me re-think my jelly jars lol. I recently placed an HTP 1212 in my pint mason at 8%. My first burn at 4 hours has had it achieve a full melt pool and awesome throw. The down side is the temperature of the sides afterwards. I will try a lower htp with it and see from there as well. I will also try a zinc to see the differences.  Looks like the testing will forever ensue. Great advice and thanks again.

Np! Just another piece of advice, if you use the HTP 83's and you don't like the size of the melt pool, GB 464 is a good additive to lower the melt point (and give you a bigger melt pool) without compromising the scent throw. I would do 80/20 of 4627/464 if this is a problem. But you are right, everyone must experiment to find what works best for them.

• Like 2

Hey Hapathy, loved the idea with the black jars=total brilliance! LOL

Another tip, I know some chandlers twist the wick a few times once in adhered to the jar; that may help with a more even melt pool...

All this talk of HTP's....I may have to pull out my ginormous wick bag....

• Like 2

Sorry one more thing that I didn't even think to mention until I read a post a few posts down... and that is that you should not trim these wicks! They take care of that all by themselves and the flame will be too small if you trim them to 1/4". So just let them do their thing.. they are truly hassle-free and I love them for that. And the candle will burn slowly so you will have to be a little patient.

So we meet again candle guy! Lol I too am on the constant hunt for the PERFECT wick/candle/HT/ flame with this amazing and frustrating 4627. Did you ever concur the dancing flames issue? I am still trying to perfect the 8 oz country colonial apothecary jar from peak ... Just ordered a couple other wax samples that should be in tomorrow... one of which is the 4630 (great minds think alike) but the other one is 4786 that I read in one of the posts on here was the only thing that he found to correct the dancing flame thing. Just wondering if you discovered a different "cure" I could try as well! We'll get it eventually RIGHT?!?

Hey light,

Good to hear from you again as well. The dancing flame issue I fear is not going anywhere lol. I have learned to live with it. Hapathy gave me some advice and instructed me to try a htp 83 with my libby jar. I made one this morning b4 I headed off to work. In a couple of days I will begin testing with it to see how it burns. I put a 105 in my 12 sided jar and tested that yesterday. It achieved a full melt pool, smelled amazing, but it was way too big as the jar had gotten really hot. I will drop down to a 83 and try that 

Will look forward to your results and will post mine with the mix I'm gonna try this weekend after getting my order. I am getting a full MP within 2 - 3 four hour test burns restaurant amzing HT and CT just don't particularly like the dancing flame... Would prefer a soothing consistant flame... Maybe I'm wanting too much lol we'll see!