To glitter or not to glitter??

I am wondering if very fine glitter made for candles is ok or just plain crazy?  I just got a newsletter email from Bitter Creek encouraging me to add glitter to the top of my candles.  Is it safe or a big chance?  What about a small amount of cinnamon sprinkled on top?  Advice is appreciated. Thanks

Glitter would have to be very very fine and not a lot of it. It could clog the wick and make it not burn right. 

I wouldn't put cinnamon on top of a candle at all. Not sure about the burn qualities and it could pose a fire hazard (although I don't know, never tried it) and again, you run the risk of clogging your wick and your candle not burning at all or correctly. 

• Like 1

Here is the thing about glitter not all are create equal and not all glitter can be used on candles. You need glitter that is actually finely ground glass, metal or crystals. Most craft store glitter is not what you want for candles. They do have some that can be used but you have to read what the glitter is made of and if it does not say then stay away.

Craft store glitter is made from a paper product not only do you risk fire but clogging the wick.

Rustic essential sells some great glitter to use on candles I believe they call it shimmer dust.  I have and used them with no adverse burning effects but I did not over glitter either.

• Like 2

What you are asking about is mica powder. We have used it for years, and have not noticed any problems, except it gets all over everything!. We first put it on all of our candles, but realized quickly that it became boring. Now we have just one scent on which we use it. It has improved that scents' sales. We sprinkle a small amount on the top just before the wax hardens. HTH

• Like 1

I used to sprinkle glitter on the top of my Angel scented candles. No problems with the candle or burn. Although after the first burn time you don't see the glitter anymore. So eventually I just quit using it. BTW-- the glitter I used was an irridescent soap safe mica glitter I found at Michael's craft store. I still use it in my soap and love it.

• Like 1

Thanks again everyone.  As always, this was very helpful.  Have a great week!  Oh and Candybee just wanted to say I love your profile pic.  I have always loved cardinals.  I had 8 cardinal couples at my bird feeder on Valentine's Day (at once) just after it snowed.  Told my husband they had to take their wives out to dinner :)

Edited by burnsv1
  • Like 4

On 2/17/2016 at 2:04 PM, burnsv1 said:

I am wondering if very fine glitter made for candles is ok or just plain crazy?  I just got a newsletter email from Bitter Creek encouraging me to add glitter to the top of my candles.  Is it safe or a big chance?  What about a small amount of cinnamon sprinkled on top?  Advice is appreciated. Thanks

A touch of glitter is good to add that pizzazz to your candle tops.:)  I only use the shimmer dust from RE. If you make pillars..coat them w/modge podge and roll in glitter sometime...wow factor to the extreme! :) 

• Like 1

I actually work for Bitter Creek and was the one that posted that on our Facebook page. All of the Mica's and glitters WE sell are safe to use on candle tops and in gel candles. I can't speak for those from other companies but ours were originally designed to be used in gel candles and cosmetics and are perfectly safe. They are ultrafine glitters. So to answer your question in part, I have been using the ones we sell on my own candles for about 15 years with no issues, you don't want to "load" a candle but with an ultra fine glitter such as the ones we carry just put a bit on a cosmetic brush and dust over the candle or use in a fine shaker :) Here is the original posting, as you can see from the photo, there isn't much glitter or mica, just a fine dusting :)

Edited by Flicker

• 3 years later...
8 hours ago, Ernesta said:

Hi I used mica powder but I find that my candle doesn’t form that perfect Melting pool & the flame it’s weak! 
please advise 

Regards Ernesta 

Have you tested the same candle just without the glitter? If it burns fine without the glitter then omit the glitter.

• 3 weeks later...

I just used magenta and duo blue green mica powders on my wax melts that are soy. I was hoping glitter would show on the outside after cooling. what store online has a actual glitter that's not super fine that I could use in the bottom(ends up on the top) of my wax tarts? any suggestions would be helpful. also how much mica powder per pound should I be using... with magenta I used 1 tsp and the blue one I used half tsp...?

1 hour ago, musicash89 said:

I just used magenta and duo blue green mica powders on my wax melts that are soy. I was hoping glitter would show on the outside after cooling. what store online has a actual glitter that's not super fine that I could use in the bottom(ends up on the top) of my wax tarts? any suggestions would be helpful. also how much mica powder per pound should I be using... with magenta I used 1 tsp and the blue one I used half tsp...?

Mica powder goes a long way, but you can put in as much as you want because there is no wick. After your melts are have hardened you can hit the tops with a heat gun just a bit and add glitter then.

• Like 1

My candles are what they are without any glitter or pretty additives...............if the customer needs glitter, etc to entice their purchase, then they don't need my candles......there is nothing about adding glitter to a candle that enhances the throw nor adds to the quality of the candle.

Adding glitter or any other ingredients to the mixture to make them more appealing is a total waste of money because it doesn't add anything to the quality of the candle and/or melt.........in my humble opinion.

• 2 years later...