Severe problems with Mushrooming.

Garf

Im not following though, you said you burned overnight for 8 hrs ya? As far as I know, you should be trimming your wick back to about 1/4" every few hours. Never should you burn 8 full hours without trimming...at least I dont. I always snuff the candle out every 2 hours or so, trim wick, then re-light.

• Like 2

I agree ... periodically trim the wick to about a 1/4" ... there could be some air flow issues in the hurricane lamp ... try burning without the glass chimney for a session, trimming to 1/4" and see how it goes ... then, try return to using the glass and see if there's a difference.  Regarding burning a candle overnight, this isn't really something I would encourage.

• Like 1

I'm with everyone else. Most candles are going to mushroom bad overnight. I mean..... thats just not a good idea.

I did it by accident once, but not on purpose. Try repeating your tests with 4 hour burn times and retrimming and see if you get better results.

With that being said... yes Yank and a few others have managed to somehow make a candle that can burn all day and not mushroom.... which to this day, I do not know how.

I'm starting to think its not real wax or wicks, Lol.

Lastly, your burning method is a bit uncommon. I'd imagine your wicks are choking because they aren't getting enough O2. You have created a massive vacuum which isn't helping the situation. Id try your tests without burning them this way and see what happens.

P.S. If not using FO or dye.... why not just use soy?

• Like 1

On 11/29/2016 at 2:31 PM, Flicker said:

I am concerned. You are burning overnight? As in sleeping while a candle is burning?

Yes, I was thinking this as well.

While a power burn is a valuable part of testing your candles, it's best to have narrowed down a working wick for your system before giving a power burn.  Testing in 3-4 hour intervals is best with wick trimming (or not trimming just to see).

Looking at the photos you are burning with a hurricane glass over a container candle.  This will change the whole air flow and oxygen availability for the candle, even lifting the bottom to allow air to flow up from base.   If the flame is oxygen starved then it will build the carbon that you are seeing on your wicks.  The only way to really test a candle is in real world conditions.  If it's meant to burn in a hurricane, then use a hurricane, but most candles are burned out in the open and really should be tested that way. 

• Like 2

I also do agree what others have said.  I'd be testing without that hurricane and doing smaller burn 3 to 4 hour tests and trimming wicks (always).

Whenever I power burn I get a big ball on the wick such as yours.   You will see a big difference when you test as what everyone has suggested.

Question?  Why do you use the hurricane?  Just for the looks?

When you tried the LX8 was it with the hurricane and how long did you test?

Trappeur

11 hours ago, Trappeur said:

When you tried the LX8 was it with the hurricane and how long did you test?

Yes and it was overnight. I did several burns and only once did I get a slight mushroom. I think I found my wick. 

• 1 month later...

when you test for wick, you really need to burn as you customers will. A hurricane shell changes the burn quite a bit - and will make a too-small wick seem like it is the right choice.

and to reiterate - never burn a candle over night. We care about you!

These are being burned in exactly the enviornment they will be used in. They are for me. I ordered and received the LX 8 X 3" wicks and have already made a test candle. The test burn starts tonight. 

"The test burn starts tonight" -- like in "overnight?" 

I agree -- you should absolutely never burn a candle unattended.  I know that some rules may seem silly, but this is a common sense rule that is truly very serious for good reason.

Good luck with your new wicks.

• 3 months later...

I have done several test burns in several different size glasses. The LX 8 works well. A 4" glass is too big, a 3" glass is just right. Smaller soots up. I would like to try LX 6, but they are rare. I have seen some but they are only 1" long. 

2 hours ago, Garf said:

I have done several test burns in several different size glasses. The LX 8 works well. A 4" glass is too big, a 3" glass is just right. Smaller soots up. I would like to try LX 6, but they are rare. I have seen some but they are only 1" long. 

Have you considered buying your LX wicking by the spool?  You can tab and prime it yourself.

• 7 months later...
21 hours ago, Garf said:

If I buy unprimed wick in bulk, I would need some high melt point wax for priming. I don't need a whole slab for that. 

You don't necessarily need high melt point. You could easily make due with beeswax. Or a paraffin pillar wax. 

• 10 months later...

You want to see mushrooming? I'll show you mushrooming. I made this candle last year and my daughter burned it this year. She said the HT was amazing, but it smoked a lot when they blew it out. I bought both my girls wick trimmers and hopefully taught them how to use then. This picture really doesn't do it justice. This was a world class mushroom

IMG_1884.jpg.f5724fa87acbf195c585b31ab5beb120.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, moonshine said:

Oh my Forrest 😂

that takes the cake on mushrooms and I’m not laughing at you I’m hopefully laughing with you....been there myself before 

did your daughter trim it all?  What wax and what wick series is that 

I just don't know what went wrong, she was raised in a good, wick trimming family. We did the best we could, but that one always had a mind of her own. Fortunately I think this one taught her a lesson and she'll be trimming her wicks in the future. Besides not trimming, the zinc core wicks tend to mushroom and I suspect there was a bit too much FO in that wax. On the plus side it is a lesson learned that I hope she won't soon forget.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Forrest said:

You want to see mushrooming? I'll show you mushrooming. I made this candle last year and my daughter burned it this year. She said the HT was amazing, but it smoked a lot when they blew it out. I bought both my girls wick trimmers and hopefully taught them how to use then. This picture really doesn't do it justice. This was a world class mushroom

IMG_1884.jpg.f5724fa87acbf195c585b31ab5beb120.jpg

Wow, wow! You aren't kidding. I thought the picture of the other candle's mushrooming wick was real bad but this has it beat. LOL

• Like 1