464 vs C3 Ring the bell :)

On November 3, 2015 at 10:35 PM, Trappeur said:

Hello Sledge,

I used extensively for 8 give or take years c3.  The reason I switched was for none other than the fact that one day I ran out of the wax and it wasn't in stock at Candle Science at the time so being that I had been ordering quite a bit from Alabaster (Now Community Candle) it was suggested by Paula the owner to try 415 which I did.  Iiked it somewhat and I could use the same size wicks as I did in the C3, but I didn't like waiting to pour till it got to the slushy state about 100 degrees.  Then the owner of Community said I might like to try 464 as it was pretty similar she said to the 415 but I could pour hotter.  So I did give it a whirl and really liked it and could pour where I do now anywhere from 140 up to 150 give or take.  I still use c3 now and then since I mastered it and I do love it and I also love the 464...Both I can use the same size wicks.  I did find the c3 would produce more wet spots than 464.

I used to dye my candles but couldn't deal with the frosting which soy is a stickler for so I went au naturelle and never looked back.  They both put out great fragrance throws of course depending on the oils you find compatable.  I can pretty much do a 1 pour with both waxes meaning not having to do a second thin pour on the top.

I agree with Kandlecrazy said and Old Glory too.  If you have a supplier close to you where you could drive to or someone close enough where shipping is reasonable I definitely would get my products there and learn  to master that wax.  It will save you dollars in the end.

With the c3 I primarily used htp wicks.  With the 464 I can get away with the htps but have really settled on the cd's.  I know Old Glory who uses 464 uses premiers.   And like Kandlerazy said with soy you have to learn to embrace certain characteristic things with each wax.  So true.  I have never had to use any additives except uv inhibitor being that I sell to shops and all of them have flourescent lighting.  Even a few fragrances still turn yellow with using the uv so I try and stay away from certain fragrances when selling to shops.  I can't stress enough too that curing is so important in attaining a great throw.  I do 2 weeks for the 464 or c3....but this is just me.  If your dying you can pretty much expect to see frosting in both waxes.  So either you learn to embrace that feature or get a frosted jar or color jar or go au naturelle.  What ever choice you make, either the c3 or 464, you picked 2 great waxes and I don't think you need to look any further or try changing to something else.  Just have to have patience, time, persistance and lots of money you will spend on all the fabulous and not so fabulous oils out there! ha! lol  Good luck and keep us posted of your findings.

Trappeur

This was so helpful! I am going to try 464 with CD wicks for my glass mason jars. Which wick size do you recommend for regular mouth and wide mouth mason jars?