Helix and Cottonwood wicks from A&P

• 11 months later...

I am using the cottonwood wick and like them a lot. My Second choice is the ECO wick. 

I use two CW30 in a 3.75 dia container using a soy blend from candle wick. 

Because the wick is flat it takes care to place properly. 

Also a little more care is need to trim to length before burning the first time. 

Since I'm always looking , I want to test the helix but can't find. 

• 1 year later...

@pinkt  what timing! I'm literally testing a cottonwood wick right now and just started burn 2- one thing that concerns me is that they seem tricky to trim.  The top edge becomes shredded and the individual fibers are separating.  You need some super sharp scissors to trim this neatly- my wick trimmer just kind of mangles it.  I sure hope this self trims going forward because it seems like it's going to hard to trim it properly myself.  On the plus side, the throw is great, the MP just where it should be at this point and the flame steady as can be..   for now ;)

@talltayl  yeah, I can see how they might burn very hot. And I don't think I'll be able to trim it in it's current state, without digging it out.  It's basically in shreds.  It's my very last wick series to try in my wax so I HAD to test it.    Reminds me of the ribbon wicks, but more fragile.  

Related  ( a nice organization is using them)    https://news.vanderbilt.edu/2017/05/08/thistle-farms-turns-to-the-wondry-for-wrist-saving-wick-installing-device/

• Like 1

I had hoped the cottonwood would solve a problem in wider vessels. I just did not hit the right combo. flames could get pretty high in no time leaving a huge melt pool in my different wax blends.   Once the summer season is over i may return to test cottonwood again.

Here is a cottonwood in a maxi tealight 

its a 20...smallest you can go and it definitely didn't self trim and look at that shroom 

I have had success with other fragrances though in the maxi and other containers so they are not a total fail for sure  - they do throw very good and make a nice melt pool and flame but they can get out of control fast as TT mentioned 

I have them on the back burner for now but do plan to revisit them in larger jars and harder waxes once I get my other crap together 

IMG_8014.JPG

Atkins and Pearce....they have 5000 minimums on each wick you purchase direct from them - they are a wholesaler that I'm sure supply our main suppliers but they have son many series and other sizes of common series available that our suppliers don't carry 

And they have sample sets of series you can buy to test or request the inbetween ones not available to us 

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2018 at 12:56 PM, TallTayl said:

mine never seem to self trim :( those get super hot in a hurry without trimming well before lighting. when they get hot the start to lean off-center pretty significantly in my tests.

You are using the wrong size if it's getting that hot.. go down a size and see how it does.. I have found that the CottonWood wicks don't work for every type of wax.. when they are the correct size they should pretty much self trim..

On 3/16/2018 at 11:49 AM, pughaus said:

@pinkt  what timing! I'm literally testing a cottonwood wick right now and just started burn 2- one thing that concerns me is that they seem tricky to trim.  The top edge becomes shredded and the individual fibers are separating.  You need some super sharp scissors to trim this neatly- my wick trimmer just kind of mangles it.  I sure hope this self trims going forward because it seems like it's going to hard to trim it properly myself.  On the plus side, the throw is great, the MP just where it should be at this point and the flame steady as can be..   for now ;)

I trim mine with wick trimmers. The type I use sits on top of the wax and trims to a perfect 1/8 every time.

6 minutes ago, PINKT said:

You are using the wrong size if it's getting that hot.. go down a size and see how it does.. I have found that the CottonWood wicks don't work for every type of wax.. when they are the correct size they should pretty much self trim..

The smallest they make is 20. I can’t go any smaller. I tried them in three different waxes. The ends all frayed causing strange flames. I can’t count on buyers trimming exactly right to keep these candles safe.

• Like 1

Pink -curious how long have you been using these wicks and what size jars and wax  

I have used them in several soys- parasoys- coconut and coconut blends, they seem to start off good but get out of control super fast if not trimmed exactly perfect and I have yet to see them self trim in any blend 

they seem to get real hot with more air flow in wider jars and smaller narrow jars they have to be trimmed to nubs to not flare up and soot stack 

love the concept but I have been too afraid to put these in customers hands as they are designed to make a wider Melt pool for larger vessels and tougher to burn formulations and apparently all my hundred different blends I have been trying don’t fit that bill 

• 5 months later...