candle groups

I am in Candle Making by Candle Makers and Home Candle Making. Both are sort of a train wreck. I could spend all day on them dispensing advice and making corrective posts. I don't.

I think sometimes when I mention "online wax community", those groups are what people think I mean. I do not. The online wax community is a few large consumer groups made of up very savvy and knowledgeable consumers who buy and collect wax (yes, many have armoires and cabinets and rooms full). Most have a large wax stash and have things on hand like polypropylene bags (they know the difference) and they share, swap and sell their excess. Totally different. I'd say most of these consumers know more about wax making, use and storage than many of the "candle makers" in the candle making Facebook groups!

Edited by justajesuschick
  • Like 3

Are those large consumer groups outside of Facebook?

The collections, armoires, etc. remind me of the shaving dens men have on Badger and Blade, and perfume collections in some fragrance groups i belong to. Don't get me started on planner groups!!!

On Facebook. The Planner Groups are full of some of the same people who are in the Wax Groups!

Makes sense... That same collector personality. :D

[hijack] when i see Target Dollar Spot cheapo page flags being purchased second hand for $40+ a pack i just shake my head.... And dollar spot pen packs of 4 being separated out sold individually for $5+ each i back away. Those flags are not even "good" when Priced for $1. They don't stick or remove well! Proves one thing we can all remember: WE create and nurture unicorns!!

Edited for speeling

Edited by TallTayl
  • Like 1

I'm in 1 or 2 groups fro candlemaking but rarely every go on there for the exact reason that they are just 'not good' 

I'm in way more soapmaking groups, and those too are hit and miss. There are a few good ones I frequent, that are pretty decent, but some that are cringe-worthy, which I don't frequent often. 

I am in a few of them, too -- Candle Making by Candle Makers, Wicks & Suds, Candle and Soapmakers Corner, and a few others. Maybe I'm a little partial to this forum because I discovered it first before I joined the FB groups, but I find myself coming here when I want my questions answered or want honest opinions more than any other place. Whenever I see someone in the FB groups giving good counsel and advice, I always wonder if they are a member of this forum as well. ;)

• Like 4

I actually don't know or understand some of the terms used in this thread or what some members are trying to convey, but I personally find that the Facebook groups are;

1) Overly active. These boards really clutter-up my Facebook site and make it slower (than usual) in operation and difficult to keep up with my other interests and friend's postings.

2) MANY of the FB posters reside outside of the USA which make sharing suppliers, sources, trends and prices quite impractical.

3) The boards I belong to are usually quite friendly and despite the number of active posters, there are few rude remarks thrown around, but I often get annoyed at how naïve and amateurish many of the participants can be. I'm no expert, but really some of the stuff I read there makes me want to pull my hair out. SO much misinformation that gets by unchallenged or unquestioned. Yikes!

I've learned to be careful with my comments on the FB groups. Not because I'm worried that I might write something wrong, but I cannot stand all of the notices that I wind up getting from FB about who likes or has replied to my posting. I'm just about to the point where I'm going to "retire" from all soap & candle groups on FB.

Dave

• Like 2

1) Overly active. These boards really clutter-up my Facebook site and make it slower (than usual) in operation and difficult to keep up with my other interests and friend's postings.

Dave

I had that problem at first too, but if you "unfollow" the group, you are still a member, but they don't show up in your feed. You have to go to the actual group to see anything. I've done this with all of my groups (I'm in many, not just craft related) 

Also, any time I don't want to be bothered by a ton of notifications, I go to the little triangle thingie on the original post and turn off the notifications, then I don't get bothered with those either. 

That way I see what my friends are posting without having to scroll through hundreds of benign posts I may or may not be interested in at the time, and only get notified on stuff I actually want to be notified about. . 

It was a FB changer for me and I actually enjoy them much more now. 

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

I suppose if my computer worked better and faster I would consider being part of something like the facebook groups, but circumstances keep me away. And, seriously, who needs more distraction???