Repour line question

I'm a soy gal and thought I would experiment with some paraffin container wax. The candle looks beautiful except for the repour line. No wet spots, no frosting gorgeousness. I never had to do a repour before (in a container) so, I'm not sure this is what a repour normally looks like.

The wax I used was 60/40, 4786/4630. The repour wax is the same wax I initially used, just reheated after sitting all night. The initial pour was 170 and the repour was around 200 (maybe that was too hot?).

I'm excited for the test burn!

post-7555-0-19689500-1439828211_thumb.jppost-7555-0-08602400-1439828259_thumb.jp

• Like 2

I'm a soy gal and thought I would experiment with some paraffin container wax. The candle looks beautiful except for the repour line. No wet spots, no frosting gorgeousness. I never had to do a repour before (in a container) so, I'm not sure this is what a repour normally looks like.

The wax I used was 60/40, 4786/4630. The repour wax is the same wax I initially used, just reheated after sitting all night. The initial pour was 170 and the repour was around 200 (maybe that was too hot?).

I'm excited for the test burn!

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Well TheBeesKnees from upside down , they look fabulous! :yes: You did an awesome fantastic job and that color just screams Fall! When I do my repours with the 4786 I usually reheat just 10 degrees above the 1st pour temp and that would be just fine. Ya did a great job.....just like a PRO!! :icon_highfive:

Edited by puma52

Nice job on the candle.  Love the color for fall.

It isn't the temperature you poured the initial candle at that determines how hot your re-pour should be; the re-pour only needs to be 10-15 degrees above the melting point of the wax for good adhesion.    Some dyes/fragrances will cause a color change if the re-pour is reheated at too high a temperature.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your reply!

I tested it yesterday and I need to go down a wick size. I used 2 zinc44. I also probably didn't choose the best scent, Spiced Orange. It was a very strong throw, just not true. (Don't tell my flakes of soy, but 4786/4630 wowed me!)

Sorry about the upside down pictures, too. I did download them ride side up.

Edited by thebeesknees

I can't imagine why containers would be different than pillars ... a repour line appears because you went over the initial pour. Repours aren't typically an additional pour made beyond the initial pour if that makes sense. So if you don't want the line, make your initial pour higher in the jar instead of pouring and then adding an inch or two of wax to it later ... if that makes sense. 

• Like 1

I used to have this problem a lot when I first started. What i've found to help is to melt the top of the wax (with a heat gun, or whatever you use) then pour into it. Theres still a small color difference, however its more of a smooth transition than a hard line!

Travis

Edited by HalcyonTorches