Smells like fuel

Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it. I melt my 4627 in double boiler.  I could smell kerosine/fuel fumes (or what ever that side smell is) when I was melting the wax.  So now I know that wax dont smell when it's cold, but when it get warmer it starts to smell kerosine/fuel fumes.  I understood from topofmurrayshill's comment that isn't normal?  Maybe my wax has contaminated?( I get my wax from Aztec.) I also added little ecosoya to wax. That took side smell away totally. I testburned the candles and paraffin candles smell like kerosine/fumes, but soyparafin didn't.  I didn't add fo this time. Usually I use 6% fo. I haven't found right wick yet for 4627. Lx 16 and 18 are too small and Stabilo 16 and 18 shooted so much that I couldn't even burn them. I get more wicks (zink and HTP) on friday. Tomorrow I will make few more candles with fo. 

Thank again for all of you <3.

Edited by karona

I could smell kerosine/fuel fumes (or what ever that side smell is) when I was melting the wax.  So now I know that wax dont smell when it's cold, but when it get warmer it starts to smell kerosine/fuel fumes.

I can't guess what every person can or cannot smell, but the wax alone SHOULD be odorless. I don't recall anyone previously having this experience. Even if you overheat materials like this, the smell is nothing like fuel.

Guest OldGlory

Just a thought...

I think there is a little bit of a language barrier in this situation. From what I gather, karona has moved on from a fuel smell to an exhaust smell which is completely different. And fuel or exhaust might not be the words any of us would use to describe it.

Hopefully we can help figure it out but it's hard when subjective descriptions are involved.

Oh my, I know all to well about the dreaded full smell! I had spent a year at battle with one FO I was determined to use. I gave up on the candle and made wax melts with it instead.

I had tried EVERYTHING: adding vanilla, changing wicks, changing wax, changing temps, etc.

I even got the fuel smell with candle gel as well!

I would pay money at this point to find out WHY this happens!!!

Thank again for your help. I have testburned my candles with HTP and Zink wicks. I noticed that candles with HTP wicks dont smell that much fuel/kerosine. But candles still smells awful (fuel), after I have shut them down *shudder* . I got help from Aztec to find out, if there's something wrong with this batch. Waiting for their answer... Ill let you know what they say.  :)

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Even though wax is technically supposed to be odorless out of the box, each one has a slight undertone I think to more sensitive noses.  Alot of longterm soy users will try paraffin, but rush right back to soy, stating the paraffin had a off smell to them.  I personally do not like the smell of the palm wax I tried from Milcreek and I know alot had a problem with the new ecosoya wax smelling like vinegar.

Edit to add: sounds like a similarity between your 6006 and the 4627 as far as having the smell when it's too hot.  Makes sense if it only happens for you towards the bottom of the jar.

Edited by lovelyscents