Hi all!!

I'm Bliss from Texas! I'm wanting to try my hand at candle making in mason jars and old vintage tins. 

I have some questions and am wondering certain things. I know it's a trial and error sort of process, but I'd like to be as close to on target as possible with my first trial batch...

I've purchased Ecosoya wax from candle science and am wondering what the best wick size and how much fragrance should I use for it to get a good scent that lasts and a wick that won't burn my candle up too quickly.

Will the humidity here play a part in how my candles form, cool, etc? What should I do to avoid frost in this type of climate?

Thanks so much!!

Bliss

Guest OldGlory

Hi Bliss, welcome to Craft Server!

As you already know, you have a long period of trial and error ahead of you before you'll be ready to sell a safe candle that performs well. Each fragrance will have to be tested in your wax and may require a slightly different wick than the fragrance you tested before it. Also, it's best to test each new box of wax when using a natural wax because each batch can vary slightly in how it burns. Such is the nature of.. nature.

Before anyone can give you suggestions on wicks we'll need to know the dimensions (height and width) of the jar/tin. And be careful with those old tins with seams in them - they can leak.

I don't use your wax so I can't help you with that, and I don't buy my wicks from Candle Science. I would start out by calling their tech support number (if they have one) for guidelines on products. I would suggest having a variety of wicks to try at first. Also, in your testers, you might want to pour them without a wick, let them sit for 2 weeks (the optimal cure time for all soy waxes) then poke a hole in the center for your wick. If that size doesn't work, you pull it out and plug in a different wick. Obviously you need a candle that's several inches deep. This technique will save you a lot of money while wick testing. You may be tempted to sidestep the cure time, but I can promise you that your results will be different after that 2 week cure.

I used to live in TX (San Antonio, then New Braunfels) and now live in TN (alllll my exes live in Texasssss, that's why I reside in Tennesseeeee, ha) and our summer climates are pretty similar. Soy waxes do NOT hold up in the heat, so you have to make some adjustments to when and how you ship, when and how you sell. Just remember, if it's over 85 degrees, your wax could melt without being lit. I have found no issues with humidity. My waxes frost and after 14 years I still can't stop it. However, I recently tested 415 and I was able to dye the wax and have NO frost. With 415, you really need to use a 9% fragrance load according to the other candle gurus here that use this wax.

Good luck!

Edited by OldGlory

Hello, and welcome!

I haven't made that many candles an have only used all paraffin or 6006 when I did, but you will find a wealth of information on here and many great people that are willing to help. Old Glory and many others have so much knowledge about candle making and lots of experience and are so willing to share!

I'm in Texas too! What part of Texas are you from? I live in Cleveland, about 50 miles north of Houston.

Again, welcome!