opinions on whether or not coconut oil increases ht to soy wax

I'm curious about this as well but about adding it to paraffin also. I know someone who adds it to a votive parasoy blend and she said it was to help it with the throw as well as to make the parasoy blend suitable for container candles. I've tried to do research on the properties of coconut wax and coconut oil in relation to wax but haven't been very successful.

• Like 1

I use 415 soy..

when I first started making candles I tried most every additive I could think of to try to get a better ht..

I finally came to the conclusion that if a scent didn't have the hot throw that I wanted I just went to the next scent.. because I could not tell adding the additives did any good..

but that is only my opinion and my observation on my experience..

• Like 1

I do the same as Gran....if it doesn't throw without any additives I move on to another scent.  There are plenty of beautiful fragrances out there that I don't need to fiddle faddle with adding this and that....etc....except uv stabilizer.

So many say I add this, and I add that...is so mind boggling and I have tried it in the past and just don't have the patience when I can't see any difference. I have so many good fragrances that do and sell well for me and I'm sticking to that and besides I want the candle to be as natural as possible without any extra ingrediants.

Trappeur

• Like 2

Guest OldGlory

Which waxes do you use Trappeur? C3 and 464?

I have never seen the need to try adding something to make 464 throw better. I think it's about finding a fit in your wax. This fragrance works, this one doesn't, etc. It's a lot of testing any way you go.

I agree old glory..

Test..test..and more testing. .

Once you find a scent that does have a good ht..

Then it is testing to get the right wick size. .

but the more you do this the more you can kind of gauge what wick you want to test with ..sometimes I'm right sometimes I'm not then I start back over with another wick..

Sometime testing can be disheartening. .

when you have several awesome smelling fragrances and none of them have a good ht.

• Like 1

Sometime testing can be disheartening. .

when you have several awesome smelling fragrances and none of them have a good ht.

That's the stage I'm at right now, 8-Gran-Ones. Granted, I've only been at this for a couple of months, but it just seems no matter what I do, I can't get a great HT from any of my candles. All my FO's come from recommended places and I've tried to go for the ones that I've seen people say throw great. The FOs smell great when I'm making them, but by the time I go to burn them, not strong at all. I thought it was candle nose, but when I ask family members if they can smell it and they have to put their nose right up to the candle before saying yes, then I think I failed, lol. Right now I'm burning a palm wax pillar I made with absinthe FO. The cold throw was nice, but HT is not there at all. I just finished test burning three container candles in 11.5 oz tumblers, 4633 wax, and coconut lime verbena FO, all burning together in one room and barely could smell the FO. So I was hoping the coconut oil or coconut wax might be a help, but guess I'll just go back to the drawing board.

I would try different wick series before adding new oils if the wax is not the problem.

The only hypothesis i have had about adding coconut oil or the host of other things people suggest, is that it changes the melt point of their wax/wick/container, etc combo enough to combust differently.

Also, i read often on facebook groups that people tend to over scent and over wick to try to achieve good throw. Sometimes that has the opposite effect.

Let those candles sit for a few weeks/months and light later. You may be surprised.

I never used any other wax but 415..

So I am not familiar with your wax. .

But just keep testing...

When you find a good one. .you will know immediately. .and you will do a happy dance!!!

I will tell you this. .get ready to to be spending plenty of money it is not cheap to do this. .

Coconut oil never did a thing for my hot throw with 464. OP, you'll need to play around with temps and the kind of wicks that you use. Like others have mentioned, some fragrances just don't throw well in soy. Even those ones that have the cute little three leaf rating on Candle Science. You will have to continue testing to see what comes out best in your candle factory. It's a p.i.t.a. but we've all gotta do it. 

Good luck!

Which waxes do you use Trappeur? C3 and 464?

I have never seen the need to try adding something to make 464 throw better. I think it's about finding a fit in your wax. This fragrance works, this one doesn't, etc. It's a lot of testing any way you go.

Yep Old Glory, those 2 waxes I use.  Lately mostly the gb464 and love it.  I just got a box of the c3 from one of the gals here and she had a great price on it and saved myself 30.00 shipping so it was a good move for me and I know that wax and what size wicks to use in it so all was good. 

Trappeur

I like a small amount (1tsp pp) in paraffin votive wax because it makes them really shiny and come out of the molds better. I have used it in parasoy when the quality of soy was poor due to drought conditions. Sometimes I've used petrolatum to help with brittle soy but 99% use no additive.

Steve