Candle cocoon

WaxLovr

I just bought a dozen fragrances from

Candle Cocoon. Boy am I impressed!! OOB they are very strong and complex. I'm sure they will smell great in wax. I am curious though, that they recommend such low rates of use. All of them recommend less than 4%. Am I really going to get a strong throw with that little bit? I normally use 8-10% in my paraffin soy blend.

Candle Cocoon is a great boutique supplier. I think in the end you always experiment and decide how much to use. Suppliers often say that you only need teeny weeny amounts of their FOs and often you end up using more. Be that as it may, Candle Cocoon fragrances are very good and might often work at a lower usage rate, but it depends on the fragrance and your application.

• Like 1

It depends on what type of wax you use.  I use some of her oils but I have found in palm wax I always need to up the percentage from Lyschel's recommendation.  So I am not really saving any money but I love some of her FOs so much that I don't care!   :P

cranberry compote, rare earth and the eucalyptus were some i could get away with using less.

Not to mention some of the vanilla/bakery scents. Vanilla Voodoo is one of the best vanillas and Creme Brule Cafe is very strong. Sultry Angel is a strong pink sugary sort of scent. Raspberry Cordial is ridiculously strong. I shied away from it at the time because it was difficult to mix into paraffin, but there wouldn't be any trouble with soy so I have to try that. Let me know if you do.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone. I am having luck with some of them in small spaces but they don't really travel. Some waxes I buy from vendors fill my whole house. These scents are better but I'm still not getting the ultra strong throw I desire. I honestly believe the super strong throw comes from using 2 oz of FO in wax. 1-1.5 doesn't cut it. I've tried dozens of wax blends and hundreds of oils. Poured at different temps ranging from 150-185 degrees. I get okay throw. Nice in small spaces. I need something that will travel.

They have great FOs.  I definitely cannot use more than 1 oz per lb (usually I use a bit under 1 oz per lb) and a lot of times only use .5 oz or even slightly less per lb otherwise it is way too strong.  I typically use 1.5 oz per lb with other suppliers, but I definitely can't with hers since it would be way too overwhelming.  The price evens out since I use less.  Depends on the scent, but with none of them I've never used more than 1 oz per lb and they throw strong and long.

Edited by paintednightsky
  • Like 2

Thanks everyone. I am having luck with some of them in small spaces but they don't really travel. Some waxes I buy from vendors fill my whole house. These scents are better but I'm still not getting the ultra strong throw I desire. I honestly believe the super strong throw comes from using 2 oz of FO in wax. 1-1.5 doesn't cut it. I've tried dozens of wax blends and hundreds of oils. Poured at different temps ranging from 150-185 degrees. I get okay throw. Nice in small spaces. I need something that will travel.

Mixing and pouring temp isn't usually very relevant to hot throw, but there are many other variables. You definitely need more FO with soy. Some soy waxes just don't throw no matter how much you use, so it might be helpful to know what you're working with. And of course throw varies from fragrance to fragrance. There's no usage rate that spans a supplier's entire range of scents. The type and size of candle is important too. House-filling candles are usually at least 3 inch containers and can be tricky to wick optimally.

• Like 2

I have a couple of candle cocoon scents they all work great specially vanilla voodoo, melon-fig-apricot, brewed jasmine and strawberry. I find adding .5 to a pound works well for me. The only scent I'm having problems so far is raspberry cordial it's not as strong when burning like the others, maybe I need to add more scent.

I've used Lychel's FO's for many, many years and have never used more than 3/4 oz./lb with any wax.  Most have a super scent throw at .5 oz/lb.  Her vanilla voodoo is the best and only vanilla I've used and it's great as a single scent and a great mixer to add just the right amount of sweetness.  2 oz./lb is a total waste of FO's IMHO.

• Like 2

Strong throw is different to everyone, but for me it's filling my open living room, kitchen & dining room full of scent and travelling down the hall to my bedrooms and bathroom.  In my work office the throw of my 3" jar candle  travels out my office and down the hall to a couple other offices.  My 1 oz. tart throws for 2, 8 hour days straight, then tapers off for the third & fourth days.  It still smells great in my office, but you can't smell it down the hall much. 

That's strong for me too Chris. I can smell some of the stuff I make but faintly. Other makers I can smell clearly. As stated earlier, I've done everything I can think of to make the throw go and it's never as strong as I would like. I don't know what else to do. I noticed today my tarts are letting off steam, which means they are getting to hot or the FO is burning off. But if I cut the FO down its not going to throw. What am I missing? I'm using 4630 and KY tart was blended.

That's strong for me too Chris. I can smell some of the stuff I make but faintly. Other makers I can smell clearly. As stated earlier, I've done everything I can think of to make the throw go and it's never as strong as I would like. I don't know what else to do. I noticed today my tarts are letting off steam, which means they are getting to hot or the FO is burning off. But if I cut the FO down its not going to throw. What am I missing? I'm using 4630 and KY tart was blended.

how long are you curing?

i've found with parasoy (making your own blends) you still have to find the right marriage of paraffin to soy. every paraffin doesn't necessarily work with every soy.

i've never used 4630 but i have used KY tart blend. it was ok. iirc, that wax benefits from a longer (2 week) cure. i would find a better wax combo vs using more fo.

• 1 month later...

hmmm...strange. I'm using her oils since many years now and never had a problem with not throwing. With melts it is even easier and most of my customers tell me that they are almost too strong so I use even less than the recommendation. Maybe it is really the wax?

• 3 weeks later...